Lessons Learned About Vacuum Packing Machines...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Trying to be polite, but, if you're losing seal you're doing something wrong. I've never lost seal on any that I've produced, and I don't think that is luck. Tool, material, or technique. One or more is faulty.

The only struggle I have had was with bacon and have changed the technique to freeze before packing now. Too greasy and a few seals failed.

So the consensus is if it is sealed a day or so later it will stay that way?

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The only struggle I have had was with bacon and have changed the technique to freeze before packing now. Too greasy and a few seals failed.

So the consensus is if it is sealed a day or so later it will stay that way?

In my limited experience, once cool if it pulls apart under moderate pressure it's a poor seal. I don't pull on all of them though and I couldn't give you a tensile strength number. I go by feel.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I have not had any issues at all using Zip-Loc brand rolls.
    Very good quality bags, but then that's the only bag/roll I've even tried.

Irukanji

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    SW Indiana
    I make a lot of soups, chili, pulled pork, etc., and then freeze it over night in some of the deep sandwich sized Tupperware.

The next day I used 11" bags to vacuum seal these frozen "pucks" of food. They store in the freezer great and the block shape keeps it all organized. They stay good as new for years! It is usually just as easy to smoke 3 pork butts as one or make a huge pot of chili instead of a small one.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    I make a lot of soups, chili, pulled pork, etc., and then freeze it over night in some of the deep sandwich sized Tupperware.

The next day I used 11" bags to vacuum seal these frozen "pucks" of food. They store in the freezer great and the block shape keeps it all organized. They stay good as new for years! It is usually just as easy to smoke 3 pork butts as one or make a huge pot of chili instead of a small one.

Thanks for the tip, I never thought of that.
    I usually just freeze soups in quart restaurant take-out containers, which can make storage in the freezer complicated at times.

tsm

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    Allen county
    Foodsaver sells standard as well as heavy duty bag rolls. I’ve had better luck with the heavy duty ones. And, don’t try to vacuum seal rolls or a loaf of bread in any of the bags (don’t ask how I know)!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Foodsaver sells standard as well as heavy duty bag rolls. I’ve had better luck with the heavy duty ones. And, don’t try to vacuum seal rolls or a loaf of bread in any of the bags (don’t ask how I know)!

HaHa! I'm not gonna ask because I already know.LOL

A couple years ago, I decided to make some egg macmuffins for my annual trip to SoDak. Pre-cooked everything, put each sammich in a vacuum bag and started sealing. The english muffins shrank down so much, they looked like a piece of cardboard. So last year, I decided to freeze the sammiches before vacuum sealing them. Worked perfect.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Here's a tip for buying family packs of boneless chicken breast and individually repackaging: I would occasionally get juice pulled up toward the sealing chamber, thus preventing a good seal. I now take a piece of paper towel(one section on the select-a-size) and fold it so it fits across the bag. This will collect the juice and provide a good seal.

I sometimes do this with steaks, but it seems the chicken is more problematic.

That *Might* get better since the big poultry companies just got serious fines for 10% or more added water instead of the mandated 3% or less.
    Water is cheap and when you can get chicken prices for it, it's gold...

One thing g about big business, every way possible to cheat the customer is going to happen.

canebreaker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2020
    Horn Lake
    If you get wrinkles your bag isn't long enough.
    I cut my bags to length needed, seal the end, wait 15 seconds before releasing it. Do a double seal, 5 seconds this time and when final sealing.
    Juicy stuff that will run. I place it in the bag and place it in the freezer over night before sealing.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I now even seal up fresh meat purchases I plan to use soon. About 10 days ago I bought some nice steaks planning to use them right away, life got in the way and the meal did not happen until tonight. The steaks were still perfect after sitting in the fridge all that time, no discoloration at all and grilled up very nice. Before the vacuum sealer these would have been forgotten or freezer burned.

Love my vacuum sealer!

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Not trying to rain on anybody's parade BUT look into chamber vacuum machines. Upfront cost is more but bags are much cheaper AND you can seal liquids.

We vacuum seal a lot of our leftovers too. Surprising how much it cuts down on throwing away food.

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/
    We got a chamber vac a couple months ago. A Wevac CV12. I use it a lot more now than the Foodsaver.

One of the first things I used it for was pasta sauce. We only use about 1/2 a jar at a time, so I vacuum sealed the other half.

Today, I sealed ground beef and shredded cheese, as well as a jar of green bell peppers that I dehydrated last week(IN the jar).
    Last weekend I made a big batch of broccoli-cheese-chicken-potato soup, and when we were done- instead of putting it in quart plastic containers to freeze, I vacuum sealed them. Made it so I was able to lay them flat in the freezer for storage.

Webstaurant store has bags that are less cost per bag than Amazon, but you have to buy 1,000 at a time.

Not getting rid of the Foodsaver, it still has its place.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Not trying to rain on anybody's parade BUT look into chamber vacuum machines. Upfront cost is more but bags are much cheaper AND you can seal liquids.

We vacuum seal a lot of our leftovers too. Surprising how much it cuts down on throwing away food.

https://www.vacmasterfresh.com/
    They look awesome but not in my budget now. Will keep them in mind. Thanks for the info, never heard of them before…

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    We got a chamber vac a couple months ago. A Wevac CV12. I use it a lot more now than the Foodsaver.

One of the first things I used it for was pasta sauce. We only use about 1/2 a jar at a time, so I vacuum sealed the other half.

Today, I sealed ground beef and shredded cheese, as well as a jar of green bell peppers that I dehydrated last week(IN the jar).
    Last weekend I made a big batch of broccoli-cheese-chicken-potato soup, and when we were done- instead of putting it in quart plastic containers to freeze, I vacuum sealed them. Made it so I was able to lay them flat in the freezer for storage.

Webstaurant store has bags that are less cost per bag than Amazon, but you have to buy 1,000 at a time.

Not getting rid of the Foodsaver, it still has its place.
    You can also seal mylar easier with chamber vacs.

Onebad06vtx

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Ellettsville

You seal and freeze chilli?
    I was always afraid that cooked meats had grease and could turn rancid.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Bumping this up, there is lots of useful information in here for those who just received a new sealer from Santa.

I like the tips about freezing meat before sealing. That will make vacuuming patties go a lot smoother.

Top Bottom