• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    I am hosting a LEOSA Qualification at Riley Conservation Club on October 4th 2022.

Riley CC is located at 6301 E Gross RD Terre Haute Indiana 47802

Time 2pm-6pm

Cost $10.00

Equipment required. A center fire handgun with at least 2 magazines/Speed loaders and at least 50 rounds of quality ammo. (The course is well under 50) rounds so one box you will be fine) and
    Eye and ear protection

You can show up anytime within the posted hours above. We do a safety briefing then shoot get your card and your good.

This is for LE Retirees that have Credentials and are Indiana residents. (LEOSA rules not mine)

Any questions feel free to PM me

Last edited:

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Curious. What's the course of fire?
    Not answering for the op but it is my understanding LEOSA qual is whatever the state qual in your state is. Here in MI it is the MCOLES active duty law enforcement standard. This is the minimum once a year qual in the state. This is what we use as our church carry qual and can tell you it is pretty easy. I have to imagine the IN one is not much different.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    Curious. What's the course of fire?
    Some (most) run some kind of approved Back Up gun course. It’s generally up to the specific instructor and or agency. In Indiana anyone actually doing the LEOSA qual as far as signing folks off, has to be an ILEA instructor so there is that. No “NRA basic pistol” BS

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Some (most) run some kind of approved Back Up gun course. It’s generally up to the specific instructor and or agency. In Indiana anyone actually doing the LEOSA qual as far as signing folks off, has to be an ILEA instructor so there is that. No “NRA basic pistol” BS

We do the standard ILEA handgun qualification stages back to the 10 yard line. I thought that course of fire came from ILEA, but now I'm curious as to who came up with that qualification for our yearly retiree/LEOSA shoot.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    We do the standard ILEA handgun qualification stages back to the 10 yard line. I thought that course of fire came from ILEA, but now I'm curious as to who came up with that qualification for our yearly retiree/LEOSA shoot.
    I’m not the ILEA instructor on this rodeo just the host as my agency has a ton of local retirees (they said my FLETC LEAD Firearms didn’t count LOL) but the 2 I know of go to 10 yards and they are both ILA courses as they sort of have to be

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I shoot several times a month so perhaps I'm an atypical retiree in that regard. I have qualified twice and my opinion is it's somewhat less than challenging. I don't have a current LEOSA permit because schedules just haven't matched up. For what it's worth, I do have a IN Lifetime LTCH. Standard department issue when I retired in '93.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    I shoot several times a month so perhaps I'm an atypical retiree in that regard. I have qualified twice and my opinion is it's somewhat less than challenging. I don't have a current LEOSA permit because schedules just haven't matched up. For what it's worth, I do have a IN Lifetime LTCH. Standard department issue when I retired in '93.

Most of our fairly recent retirees are still good shooters. A couple of them were firearm instructors and haven't lost a step. Then there are the others. Last year one of the retirees was having a bunch of malfunctions, but managed to get three rounds off. Turns out he was trying to fire 9mm out of his 40 S&W Glock.

I hadn't said it in my previous post, but it's really nice this LEOSA shoot is being put on by the OP. I know a lot of retirees want to keep their ability to carry under LEOSA, but their previous departments don't provide a time for them to qualify or they no longer live near where they used to work.

devildog70

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    I’m not the ILEA instructor on this rodeo just the host as my agency has a ton of local retirees (they said my FLETC LEAD Firearms didn’t count LOL) but the 2 I know of go to 10 yards and they are both ILA courses as they sort of have to be
    ILEA will give you an ILEA Firearms Instructor rating, provided you pass the pre-qual shoot, and have Instructor Generalist. They recognize FLETC FITP.

Also, our agency uses our standard off-duty qual as our LEOSA qual, and it is nothing like any of the ILEA stages.

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    ILEA will give you an ILEA Firearms Instructor rating, provided you pass the pre-qual shoot, and have Instructor Generalist. They recognize FLETC FITP.

Also, our agency uses our standard off-duty qual as our LEOSA qual, and it is nothing like any of the ILEA stages.
    I’ll pm you for more but when I called them (this was 2 years ago) with FLETC FITP lead certification I was eligible to work for them but they didn’t have mechanisms in place and I wasn’t able to be certified to run LEOSA quals since I wasn’t affiliated with a state agency

ECS686

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 9, 2017
    Brazil
    So originally the qual had to be given by the retirees home agency. I take it MI isn't the only state who has found a way around this.
    I’ve been involved since the inception and don’t remember it worded like that. It didn’t stipulate the home/former agency just either OR qualified per state requirements.

The issue is some agency heads don’t like it and refuse to allow that agency to qualify anyone so it’s a courtesy if they do. Fortunately we have state standards and agencies that have no problem doing it!

Top Bottom