Not open for further replies.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    About two lustrums ago I started using the Lee Factory Crimp Die Lee Carbide Factory Crimp Die - Lee Precision. As a certified NRA Metallic Reloading Instructor I wanted to see what all the hoopla was about with this crimp die. Back in the day I was loading over 18 different calibers but have dwindled to 14 as I am slowing down these days. Still with two favorite loads for each caliber that means my bench is busy with 28 plus handloads. For instance, I will keep factory Ammo on hand but load a Factory Duplication load and an alternate load as well. The alternate load is usually special purpose or a lighter load.

Back in my Benchrest days, I of course would turn necks, size cases, separate lots, and take painstakingly measures to build the best ammo for my custom guns. I have never, or do not intend to run rifle ammo on a progressive machine. I use the old RockChucker Rock Chucker Supreme Press | RCBS single stage for my rifle rounds. However, I may be looking into this new RCBS Summit Press. Anybody out there got one?

I owe a lot of gratitude to Richard Lee. He brought to market lower cost reloading products and for tighter budgets he proved that one could still get the good equipment needed. My first loading tool was a Lee Loader. I think it cost me almost $5. It ended up costing more as I destroyed my moms kitchen table pounding on the tool. I learned then that you can not have too sturdy of a bench. His book Modern Reloading Modern Reloading 2nd Ed - Lee Precision contains a wealth of information.

Okay, so time to compare this Lee FCD with my age old RCBS crimp dies. I will admit that I never cared for the looks of factory crimped ammunition as I prefer a more smoother transition between the brass and the shaft, bearing surface or cannelure. Anyway, getting over the looks, pictured for comparison, are a few .30 WCF, or 30-30 as the kids like to call it. Take note (sorry for not the best pictures) that the factory round has the top part of the cannelure exposed, while my factory duplication load runs the brass to the top of the ring. For the small difference, it allows me to determine the round at a glance as a duplicate load. My alternate loads are easily distinguished as they contain a whole different bullet. I keep an extra seater die in the box preset for my alternate rounds. For instance, in my .223 I will run Federal Factory 55Ball, a factory dup load, and my alternate load is a 69GR Sierra for bigger stuff like yotes and stuff.

Using the Chargemaster Lite Chargemaster Lite | RCBS has been a huge improvement for hand charging cases with powder. I have it set up on a counter separate from the bench (less vibration) and out of any draft. I had a ChargeMaster Combo but it was overkill for my purposes. This Lite model is quick and accurate, more user friendly and takes up less space.

Now being a cheap skate, I use the factory boxes that the ammo came in by turning them inside out and labeling them accordingly to secure my handloads. I got rid of all my plastic ammo boxes as I do not fly anymore and have no use for them. I find them too cumbersome for the bulk amount of shooting that I do. Just me.

Ten years later I can say that this FCD is well worth the money. I still can get MOA groups without constant trimming. I leave no score on bullet jackets and these things are easy to clean and adjust. As far as the more accurate claim, that is hard for me to say since I have always loaded accurate and consistent ammo and this die produces the same. However, with less work. I like that. I know that some industry bullet makers do not support the FCD. I am not sure if this is a marketing result or an embarrassment that they did not patent this themselves. Who knows, but I had to find out for myself and it works for me.

Thank you for reading my posts and Good Loading!

View attachment 94671 View attachment 94672 View attachment 94673 View attachment 94674 View attachment 94675 View attachment 94676 View attachment 94677 View attachment 94678 View attachment 94679 View attachment 94680

Attachments

• IMG_0731 (002).jpg
      IMG_0731 (002).jpg
      498 KB · Views: 3
    • IMG_0736 (002).jpg
      IMG_0736 (002).jpg
      202.2 KB · Views: 5
    • IMG_0737 (002).jpg
      IMG_0737 (002).jpg
      201 KB · Views: 3
    • IMG_0739 (002).jpg
      IMG_0739 (002).jpg