• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Same, proudest thing in my life for my two well balanced men who are figuring life out well.

A fascinating thing for me to watch is one of mine raising theirs as you say “without laying a hand on them”. Boggles my mind but so far so good, it can be done I guess.
    LOL a few times.
    There were definitely times I wanted to snatch one or both and put the heat on them.
    I just took a walk most times.

I just video Whatsapp with my #2 and we were laughing and a few times he made me take a walk.

They did a quick stop here on the way home from where they were today.
    IMG-20220704-WA0002.jpg

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Kids seemed to do better when grandma was making kids go out behind the shed and find a switch.

Discipline is a touchy subject.

Many have been abused.

God relates himself to his people as a loving father who disciplines his children.

Obviously, there must be a way to have loving discipline that gets the point across without falling into abuse.

The Bible tells fathers to not provoke their children to wrath.

One of the ways you provoke a child to wrath is disciplining out of anger. Which can lead to abuse.

So I always calm down first, ask the kids what they did wrong, have them explain why it’s wrong (when they’re old enough), and then administer discipline.

Then I help them calm down and make sure they know I’m not mad at them.

Gotta start young. I only discipline for a few things.

Disobedience. Rebellion. Lying. Bad attitude.

I’m sure Ill add a few more as the years go by.

Had to figure out the hard way that lying needs a bigger discipline than disobedience.

Nobody has to teach a kid to lie lol.
    Hummm.
    Discipline comes in many forms.
    Prepare yourself with a good dental plan when a son grows weary of that switch.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Hummm.
    Discipline comes in many forms.
    Prepare yourself with a good dental plan when a son grows weary of that switch.
    I've had more switchin's than I can count. I think all from my mom. I don't recall my dad ever switching me. Maybe a hand across the ass to get my attention so he could talk some sense into me. About all I can say for getting switched is that it doesn't hurt now. I can't say I learned anything in particular other than that it did NOT hurt my mom more than it hurt me. People should stop saying that nonsense.

But for my dad, he had a way about him that I just didn't tend to disobey. So I don't actually remember any hands on type disipline other than the swat on the ass when I was little. I can't imagine a whoophin' being as effective to me as my dad sitting me down and telling me what I did wrong, why it matters, and what he expected in the future. I don't know that this would work with everyone. He just had that sort of command. Mom had to switch us. Well. She probably didn't have to. But she thought she did. All he had to do was tell us what's up and that was it.

In my thinking, if hands on is necessary, it's only for very young kids, and only to get their attention, so that you can make sure they're listening to you when you tell them what's up. If you switch a kid who's old enough to punch you in the mouth, and he punches you in the mouth, well, you probably had that coming. The time where that has any effectiveness is long past. But, that's not saying you might never have to jack your teenage son up and put him up against the wall to get his attention. Boys sometimes feel their oats and need to know their limits and they ain't all that yet.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Lets say this, im a Jehovahs Witness and my believes are no more blood transfusions for me. And my believe is correct so no transfusions for anybody.
    Does the act of receiving a transfusion kill a living being that is not allowed a voice in the choice of having a transfusion?

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Rare events should still be taken into account. I'm not suggesting that all manners of abortions should be allowed, but the rare events like life of the mother, non-viable fetuses (by this I mean where they can reliably predict that the baby won't survive), rape of minors, these things can and should be taken into account since we already have these things documented.

It's a nice deflection to say that "well, they're just driving over to Indiana, so everything is fine," but IN delayed its special session in order to see what happens in the trigger-law states. While I haven't read the proposed HB1282 bill page by page, my cursory inspection seems that these exceptions aren't in the current proposed bill. (For the record, I'm with you on the federalist system of governance, but the fact that IN has a bill planned but not yet enacted and saying that the federalist system fixes all of it is really just a short-term circumstance if we're talking about this particular issue.) That lack of any exceptions is, in my opinion, bad. Yes, those exceptions are rare, but we already know about these things and can foresee their importance.
    We must pass the bill for you to be able to see what’s in it…

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    Thats still what You see, not what everyone sees.
    Its easy for a man to avoid being involved.
    Dont bust up in there.

Not Democrats? Maybe you should reread rhis thread.

Well, you believe you and i'll believe what ive seen with the last 60+ years. Ive had a few years of traveling this great country with work, met a lot of folks along the way.
    Youre asking for a list of women that I know that have had abortions? You kidd,
    Do you really believe that most women will freely admit they have had one or more abortions to the free world in conversation?
    I know what I have seen in my life and we are getting ready for a repeat performance.
    So you are admitting that women hide the fact they use abortion as birth control on multiple occasions? So this has all be whittled down to lazy women that would rather abort than take a pill or wrap up.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    LOL a few times.
    There were definitely times I wanted to snatch one or both and put the heat on them.
    I just took a walk most times.
    That would not have been the "rod of discipline". Discipline is acting in love to correct, and can (and should) include both positive and negative reinforcement. Discipline is largely dispassionate. Lashing out in anger or frustration toward someone is not discipline. (Note that, as a parent, and having empathy for exactly those moments of exacerbation, frustration, and anger - I'm not judging those emotions. I'm merely pointing out that acting out of those emotions is not the biblical principle of discipline.)

areamike

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2022
    Monticello, IN
    That would not have been the "rod of discipline". Discipline is acting in love to correct, and can (and should) include both positive and negative reinforcement. Discipline is largely dispassionate. Lashing out in anger or frustration toward someone is not discipline. (Note that, as a parent, and having empathy for exactly those moments of exacerbation, frustration, and anger - I'm not judging those emotions. I'm merely pointing out that acting out of those emotions is not the biblical principle of discipline.)
    My Mom used to say "this hurts me more than it hurts you", when she had to spank me. I didn't realize, until I had my own kids, how accurate that statement was.
    I hated spanking my kids. I often got into arguments about it from those who don't believe in "spare the rod, spoil the child".
    This is what I would say to them::
    If your child runs into the street without looking for cars, do you spank them or give them a "timeout"? I would spank my kids anytime they put themselves or others in danger. I wanted to make sure that action was associated with pain, so they would likely never do it again.
    Putting a kid in timeout to "think about it"? Good luck with that. I'd rather have my kid still living with the "terrible scars" from a spanking when they crossed a street without looking, than DEAD.

Top Bottom