• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    And I'm pretty sure my BiL voted for that clown in the big house. After finally realizing the world is not safe and buying his first guns (including an AR) in the past year. All that after telling me for years "nobody needs an assault rifle."

And that prior stance is probably why he hasnt even discussed those guns with me. I learned through the inlaws he bought them and is now shooting at a friend's private range. I havent outright asked him about them, but have brought up guns and shooting around them repeatedly and he never takes the bait and volunteers any info. Every other person I know that is into shooting gladly chimes in when the topic comes up. Its like he thinks I dont know and is keeping them a secret from me. Weird.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    I understand your point. But correct me if I'm wrong here:

Many voters in this election weren't exactly thrilled with the two mainstream establishment choices. Many decided to vote for the candidate they viewed as the "lesser of two evils".

Whether or not you or I agree with their decision, isn't this enough evidence that many voters voted for their preferred candidate and not necessarily someone they even like, let alone agree with politically on an issue as controversial as gun control?

And also I have to ask... if you voted for Trump a second time AFTER he expressed his dislike for suppressors, support for red flag confiscations (even going so far as to say "Take the guns first, due process second"), and after his ATF banned bump stocks and was considering banning pistol braces... well, would you have led by example and complied with any of those gun control measures?
    That is just fine.

However, if you are a gun owner it would be really STUPID to vote for someone that is openly anti-gun.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    That is just fine. However, if you are a gun owner it would be really STUPID to vote for someone that is openly anti-gun.
    Agreed, which is why I added the last paragraph. Trump is openly anti-suppressor, anti-bump stock, anti-due process. He openly supports red flag confiscation. If that doesn't count as "Anti-gun" what does? I get that Biden and Harris are MORE anti-gun... but does someone really have to want a full-out AR ban or something of that nature to be "anti-gun"?

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I am asking those that voted for the candidate that does want the full out AR registration / confiscation to lead by example.
    Right. I'm asking if you or Tom would hold that same standard to yourself but with another candidate and other anti-gun legislation.

If you wouldn't, then why would you expect the people you're asking to do anything else?

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Agreed, which is why I added the last paragraph. Trump is openly anti-suppressor, anti-bump stock, anti-due process. He openly supports red flag confiscation. If that doesn't count as "Anti-gun" what does? I get that Biden and Harris are MORE anti-gun... but does someone really have to want a full-out AR ban or something of that nature to be "anti-gun"?
    President Trump did not ban bump stocks, had an opinion of red flag laws that I did not agree with and as far as suppressor are concerned I have no knowledge of his opinion.

Given that you believe all of that to be true would you say that is the greater evil compared to promises to ban common arms and devices and a huge registration scheme.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Okay. Should Trump voters who own bump stocks give them up?

Let them get in line right behind those that voted for the candidate advocating even more egregious infringements.

After the Biden voters turn in their semi automatic arms and standard capacity magazines, then the Trump voters can go get their bumpstocks.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    Sorry, I am mixed up. Not seeing some posts that I thought I made and then seeing them quoted after I repost.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Let them get in line right behind those that voted for the candidate advocating even more egregious infringements.

After the Biden voters turn in their semi automatic arms and standard capacity magazines, then the Trump voters can go get their bumpstocks.

Although I disagree because I don't view the act of voting as legally binding to what the voted candidate wants, your answer is consistent across all voters and all candidates, which makes your view very understandable and I disagree only because I don't think voting is as serious an act. It's not a contract to me, just a political bargaining chip.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    No sir. Never said anything of the sort. Never implied that either. Read my latest reply.

For the suppressor comment: https://www.usnews.com/news/nationa...cers-like-one-used-in-virginia-beach-shooting

All you have on the suppressor story is an off the cuff remark in the aftermath of a shooting where it was stated "I don't like silencers". I bet you would hate guns if you were personally dealing with death and murder at the time.

We have hashed the bumpstock thing too much. I believe it was a tactical move.

Then we have a candidate with a published record of goals to implement if elected to take guns away.

Your moral equivalence fails on me...

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I'm told by my friends/betters on the Left that bringing up bump stocks is "whataboutism".

It is also a straw man. An ATF opinion written based on an EO has absolutely nothing on intended legislation, based on the President's own, stated policy position, for registration, bans, and confiscation.

And I absolutely intend to hold INGO members' feet to the fire, when they indicate their pride in electing the President who enacts the latter.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    And I absolutely intend to hold INGO members' feet to the fire, when they indicate their pride in electing the President who enacts the latter.
    I absolutely understand this sentiment and the principle it's built upon. But I would just like to remind everyone that even if someone living in Indiana voted for Biden, it had absolutely zero impact on the final result of the election.

I personally think it's hypocritical to be a gun owner and vote for Biden. I can't square that circle myself, but I also recognize that not all gun owners are single issue voters. I personally believe most of Biden's policy ideas are awful, so I had lots of reasons not to vote for him, but that's another discussion.

This comment is not specifically directed at Chip, but the finger pointing is pervasive is in multiple threads all across the board and it's just not all that helpful. In fact if Biden supporters were united in opposing more gun control, and vocal about letting their democrat reps know, maybe they would actually listen to their constituents for once. Wishful thinking probably, I know. But if democrats don't think there are any gun owners in their party, why would they oppose new restrictions? They need to be made aware that democrat gun owners do actually exist, and care about the issue.

We need the biggest coalition of folks willing to oppose any new gun laws that we can muster. Screaming at members here who may actually be willing to cross the political aisle and stand with us in opposition is not helpful in my opinion. Nevermind the fact that their vote was essentially meaningless anyway.

Ok. Flame suit on. :flamethrower:

Last edited:

j706

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   1
    Dec 4, 2008
    Lizton
    Glad I read this post! I was thinking about buying a few AR's and some of those scary a-- high capacity magazines. I have always wanted some of both. Guess I had better wait huh?

Top Bottom