• ...and so much more!
  • rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Capitalism is dead change my mind.

If you don’t have the ability to move to a new job at will if your an “at will” employee then this country has officially moved to a form of corporate feudalism.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Capitalism is dead change my mind.

If you don’t have the ability to move to a new job at will if your an “at will” employee then this country has officially moved to a form of corporate feudalism.

The "Laissez-Faire" concept has been dead for a while now, but I think "feudalism" could be a little strong of a term in this case:

"...The court action seeks to partner with Ascension Wisconsin for 90 days, giving ThedaCare enough time to fill those lost positions..."

Need to see what "partner" means in the context of this ruling.

The "anticapitalist" beef is between the hospitals, not really anything having to do with the workers. It doesn't sound like the workers will be gypped out of higher pay. It sounds like the new employer is going to be required to "subcontract" the workers back to their old employer, but at the higher rate of pay (I'm assuming), while the "raided" facility looks for other candidates.

But the "old" employer does seem to have some trouble figuring out the "free labor market" thing:

"...It is Ascension Wisconsin’s understanding that ThedaCare had an opportunity but declined to make competitive counter offers to retain its former employees..."

Last edited:

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    It doesn't sound like the workers will be gypped out of higher pay
    why assume bc they are getting the same pay to be farmed back to the old job that they should be happy? Maybe they left a toxic and abusive management?

I keep hearing folks say “no one wants to work anymore” , no that’s factually incorrect. No one wants to work for YOU anymore

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    why assume bc they are getting the same pay to be farmed back to the old job that they should be happy? Maybe they left a toxic and abusive management?

I keep hearing folks say “no one wants to work anymore” , no that’s factually incorrect. No one wants to work for YOU anymore
    Not to mention from the one article I read they will have to be on call.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Getting stop-lossed at a private sector job, what a clown world.

Just say you're unvaxxed, they'll fire you on the spot.
    Another question about this stop loss, if you call off or refuse to go back to work for your old employer are you now in contempt of court?

Personally I think they should refuse and see if the court jails them.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Another question about this stop loss, if you call off or refuse to go back to work for your old employer are you now in contempt of court?

Sounds more like you are refusing your new employer and could be terminated.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy

It seems extremely unlikely that any court would be stupid enough to attempt legally compelled private sector labor against an individual.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

And if you're in jail, then you're STILL NOT WITH your previous employer.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    It would seem that is a normal part of the job from the way I read the article.
    The one hospital(suing) is required by their ranking to have them available at all times, the other does not (sued). And from another article one of the employees said it wasn't just pay, it was work life balance. I'm guessing less or no on call at the new employer.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010

I never said they should be happy. But I don't really see this as being that bad, for the workers. You seemed determined to see this as some kind of "new feudalism," and I just don't think you read the article very closely. Their "old" employer is very likely going to get reamed in this deal, because not only are the workers going to get their new rate of pay they signed on for, which the old employer originally refused to pay, I would also bet (again I'm surmising, because I'm not privvy to the specifics of the deal) that the new employer is going to tack-on a "contract fee." So the old employer is going to end up paying "even more" for these people than the amount they refused to match, plus the departing workers get a 90-day "victory lap" at their old place of employment, doing the bare minimum and basically flying the "backwards double-bird" at them the whole time. It is a "poetic justice" moment for the departing workers. 90 days of blowing kisses and sh!t-eating grins at their old employer, all the while knowing the company is paying a premium price for it.

This is exactly what it's going to take to get these kinds of places to start valuing their workers appropriately.

jake blue

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2013
    Lebanon
    Very similar situation going on at my aunt's employer. Many of her former coworkers have been leaving for a better paying employer, some literally next door. Her boss's boss came down to see if my aunt was also planning to leave but reiterated that they are merely 'talking about' if they could afford to offer pay raises in order to stem the tide of departures. Go figure.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn
    So you are technically employed by the new employer and reporting to the old employer? Show up, do nothing, the old employer can’t fire you if they are no longer your employer.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I never said they should be happy. But I don't really see this as being that bad, for the workers. You seemed determined to see this as some kind of "new feudalism," and I just don't think you read the article very closely. Their "old" employer is very likely going to get reamed in this deal, because not only are the workers going to get their new rate of pay they signed on for, which the old employer originally refused to pay, I would also bet (again I'm surmising, because I'm not privvy to the specifics of the deal) that the new employer is going to tack-on a "contract fee." So the old employer is going to end up paying "even more" for these people than the amount they refused to match, plus the departing workers get a 90-day "victory lap" at their old place of employment, doing the bare minimum and basically flying the "backwards double-bird" at them the whole time. It is a "poetic justice" moment for the departing workers. 90 days of blowing kisses and sh!t-eating grins at their old employer, all the while knowing the company is paying a premium price for it.

This is exactly what it's going to take to get these kinds of places to start valuing their workers appropriately.
    Hard to do the bare minimum in a trauma and comprehensive stroke unit.

Top Bottom