• churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Didn't mean to thread jack.
    Back on topic- with Dodge moving away from the Charger/Challenger platform and Ford discontinuing the Interceptor (Taurus version) I would venture to bet we will see more police dept's going to SUV's and even some pursuit rated trucks.
    For emergency vehicle use, the whole EV concept and even the Hybrid stuff scares a lot of people from the added danger of 1 misplaced screw can result in death by electrocution or burning a car to the ground. Also I'm not sure many fire dept's are equipped to fight fires from cars with Lithium batteries as you can't just dump water on them. There are still obstacles beyond infrastructure.
    IMHO, those who are pushing this stuff are likely heavily invested in companies that will benefit from the electric push
    Some these thread jacks lean into some serious conversations taking some of us (me) into a whole new area as yet unknown to (me) many of us.
    Great conversation and this brings back memories of discussing why this damned ford was so fas and not more popular among the Blue Oval faithful. I remember Gliddens name being involved.
    The GTA had a C-6 with a “shift” improver plate in it and a small converter. Converter science was not peak at that time. He rolled full time on slicks as was a habit of the day. That car launched pretty well. Just a solid package.
    Damnit I miss those days.

Waveraider

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Indianapolis
    it's the original 383 block, much modified. I made some changes to the car's brakes and suspension as well. It has new front and an added rear anti roll bars, modern suspension bushings, and 4 wheel disc brakes. Drives like it is on rails.
    I need to get back to work on my Satellite 'vert. Has a 440/727 and sitting for too long.

Attachments

• 68 Bird.jpg
      68 Bird.jpg
      169.8 KB · Views: 4

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Further, if we read the other Chrysler press releases, we find out that they are claiming that half (50%) of their line in the U.S. will be EV by 2030. I'm no mathematician, but I think that means that they are planning for 1/2 their line to be IC powered beyond 2030. In any event, that's 8 years away and things have a tendency to change.

Yup. The V8 isn't dying just yet. Trucks will be the last place to lose the V8.

I'm mildly curious of the hi-po Hurricane will be available in the 2023 Ram 1500. No rumor mill info yet. 2022 order banks are closed on the Rebel, at minimum, and 2023 hasn't opened yet.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yup. The V8 isn't dying just yet. Trucks will be the last place to lose the V8.

I'm mildly curious of the hi-po Hurricane will be available in the 2023 Ram 1500. No rumor mill info yet. 2022 order banks are closed on the Rebel, at minimum, and 2023 hasn't opened yet.
    As I read the handwriting on the wall it only verify what I knew was coming when I bought the spouse a 1979 Ford
    econoline conversion in 81. It said regular or unleaded in the fill door compartment. That was another box checked towards the end of the interceptor. 351 Windsor that had plenty of power. The family truckster so to speak. Ford trucks rules the day. It had 18K on the clock. We sold it @ 135K. It was done.
    What those crossovers led to was very well controlled fuel injection/ECU controlled engine/drive trains we now enjoy that will give us 200K on the dash board clock that are still viable and usable. Never would have happened unless we were pushed.
    Trust me I hate it. But in the next sentence not so much. Look at this thread. It is a reader’s digest history of the carburetor and how we managed to twist way more power than we should have from II.
    But again, damnit I miss those days.

9B41C498-0DFE-47E0-B81F-4879C6BE00DB.jpeg E6C35BCC-56E3-4814-B785-713AB073007A.jpeg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    It's one more thing that reminds me of the 70s, when the government got more involved in cars. Oversized bumpers, bad designs, limited power, much of the style that gave earlier cars their swagger even sitting still disappeared.

I have the occasional nightmare of hipsters cheering as muscle cars and guns are thrown into metal shredders. Then I wake up and say "today is not that day, nor is it likely to be tomorrow" and go back to sleep.;)

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    It's one more thing that reminds me of the 70s, when the government got more involved in cars. Oversized bumpers, bad designs, limited power, much of the style that gave earlier cars their swagger even sitting still disappeared.

I have the occasional nightmare of hipsters cheering as muscle cars and guns are thrown into metal shredders. Then I wake up and say "today is not that day, nor is it likely to be tomorrow" and go back to sleep.;)

Malaise era sucked but we're still squarely in a new muscle golden age. Yes, my 5th Gen Camaro is bigger and heavier than 1st gens...but performance is jet engine vs prop plane and there's a ton more there for anyone who wants to tinker. I remember in the 90's everyone whining the end of the hot rod community was nigh since you 'couldn't work on these new cars'. No, YOU can't work on these new cars. People with a different skill set figured it out pretty shortly.

So many solid and good looking options today.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Just a thought, but what if Dodge paired up the "Etorque" mild hybrid with a turbo motor? Etorque provides something like 80 ft/lb off the line but isn't used for long before going to straight motor power. I don't fully understand how the system works, but apparently it also kicks in briefly while shifting to provide a more even power distribution during the shift (I am guessing since the gas motor is briefly disengaged as the tranmission shifts and the RPM changes, the Etorque provides enough ft/lbs to minimize the reduced power provided by the gas motor).

Turbos take a bit to spool up and the Etorque is specialized in providing brief boosts of power. Seems like maybe a natural match for a very strong pull with the systems working in tandem. Likely be complicated, but more complication is how we wound up with the stupid amounts of power we have on tap today, combined with better fuel economy and drivetrain longevity. I wouldn't be a beta tester, but I could get behind that once it's proven.

Farmerjon

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    NorthWest Indiana
    Nearby township trustee just got a grant to buy a blanket for EVs. Can be reused if I remember correctly 30 times. Before that conversation never thought about putting one out if on fire. Our local PD just bought a Tesla thus the reason for the blanket need.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Either 71 or 72 Mustang Mach 1s had the 429 SCJ as an option as I rememeber. Used to stare and drool over a silver one on a dealers lot when I was a kid.
    Might have been 71. Jill St. John drove a beautiful red seventy one (with 429) in the Bond movie Diamonds Are Forever (the rest of the movie is forgettable but the car was a star)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Just a thought, but what if Dodge paired up the "Etorque" mild hybrid with a turbo motor? Etorque provides something like 80 ft/lb off the line but isn't used for long before going to straight motor power. I don't fully understand how the system works, but apparently it also kicks in briefly while shifting to provide a more even power distribution during the shift (I am guessing since the gas motor is briefly disengaged as the tranmission shifts and the RPM changes, the Etorque provides enough ft/lbs to minimize the reduced power provided by the gas motor).

Turbos take a bit to spool up and the Etorque is specialized in providing brief boosts of power. Seems like maybe a natural match for a very strong pull with the systems working in tandem. Likely be complicated, but more complication is how we wound up with the stupid amounts of power we have on tap today, combined with better fuel economy and drivetrain longevity. I wouldn't be a beta tester, but I could get behind that once it's proven.
    I want the dry clutch semi-auto transmissions that F1 has had for years :tantrum:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Nearby township trustee just got a grant to buy a blanket for EVs. Can be reused if I remember correctly 30 times. Before that conversation never thought about putting one out if on fire. Our local PD just bought a Tesla thus the reason for the blanket need.
    Lithium ion battery fires make their own oxygen after they get hot enough. More like trying to extinguish thermite

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Just tuned my GT500 last week and used my phone.

Down loaded the app then up load data logs. Tuner looks at them messes with the tune sends it back. Took about two hours total for about 50hp and 40 TQ.

@BugI02 the GT 500 has the tremec 7 Speed DCT it shifts faster than anything I have encountered.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Malaise era sucked but we're still squarely in a new muscle golden age. Yes, my 5th Gen Camaro is bigger and heavier than 1st gens...but performance is jet engine vs prop plane and there's a ton more there for anyone who wants to tinker. I remember in the 90's everyone whining the end of the hot rod community was nigh since you 'couldn't work on these new cars'. No, YOU can't work on these new cars. People with a different skill set figured it out pretty shortly.

So many solid and good looking options today.

The red car and blue car have a different feel on the road, but the numbers don't lie, the performance is about the same, gas mileage is very different though. Still, the red car doesn't win at the shows like the blue car does.;)

mustang and charger.jpg

Top Bottom