• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Back in the late 60’s early 70’s Chrysler offered an intercept package if one was part of a Dept. We bought a couple at auctions back then. It was more springs brakes fast steering boxes Etc and so on.
    The engine tune was nothing better than you or I could buy over the counter.
    GM had the F-46 package (???) sometime referred to as the “Police” package not unlike the Pentastar.
    Ford led the pack on the interceptor banner as Thunderchicken has stated.
    We bought a couple of wrecked Mercury Monteray’s Sheriff cars (every one we saw) with the 429 SCJ drive trains in them cause they were nuts fast. Shoe horn one into a Mustang and you had a for real rocket on your hands.
    Damn we miss those days.

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Back in the late 60’s early 70’s Chrysler offered an intercept package if one was part of a Dept. We bought a couple at auctions back then. It was more springs brakes fast steering boxes Etc and so on.
    The engine tune was nothing better than you or I could buy over the counter.
    GM had the F-46 package (???) sometime referred to as the “Police” package not unlike the Pentastar.
    Ford led the pack on the interceptor banner as Thunderchicken has stated.
    We bought a couple of wrecked Mercury Monteray’s Sheriff cars (every one we saw) with the 429 SCJ drive trains in them cause they were nuts fast. Shoe horn one into a Mustang and you had a for real rocket on your hands.
    Damn we miss those days.
    SCJ? Super Cobra Jet? The 68 GT500KR that sold at auction in Plainfield in 2012(??) had a 428 CJ, not much room under that hood either.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I am interested to see the outcome of this….. rolling blackouts to charge all this. (Already cannot keep up with electricity now plug in a car at every household) and I am also waiting for my I told you so moment……. When they give you this huge tax/fee for disposing of these giant batteries. And also we complain about gas prices…. Who sets electric prices?

“Hold on criminals I need to charge my car for 4-6hrs then we can continue this chase”

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    SCJ? Super Cobra Jet? The 68 GT500KR that sold at auction in Plainfield in 2012(??) had a 428 CJ, not much room under that hood either.
    I never saw a 429 SCJ in anything but the Mercury sheriff cars. But I am not well versed on the Blue Oval. T C is one of the resident Ford Guru’s in such things.
    The 428 was a much more common street offering. Which to me is crazy. Unless I just missed something, the 429’s were faster. Not from fact/figure etc just right foot seat of the pants style dyno pulls.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I never saw a 429 SCJ in anything but the Mercury sheriff cars. But I am not well versed on the Blue Oval. T C is one of the resident Ford Guru’s in such things.
    The 428 was a much more common street offering. Which to me is crazy. Unless I just missed something, the 429’s were faster. Not from fact/figure etc just right foot seat of the pants style dyno pulls.
    I recall my father telling me he had a car with a 429 (?) in his youth that was loud enough to shake windows in town cruising around for chicks… I don’t remember the specifics but I’m pretty sure he said basically the same thing, that the 429 was the faster engine.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I am interested to see the outcome of this….. rolling blackouts to charge all this. (Already cannot keep up with electricity now plug in a car at every household) and I am also waiting for my I told you so moment……. When they give you this huge tax/fee for disposing of these giant batteries. And also we complain about gas prices…. Who sets electric prices?

“Hold on criminals I need to charge my car for 4-6hrs then we can continue this chase”
    I’m almost certain the police and emergency services will be the last to go to a full electric fleet, and it wouldn’t surprise me if some never do and if some have a back up fleet of gas engines.

The government will mandate fuel efficiency so ridiculous that most manufacturers will go to full electric cars, so they can buy enough credits to continue a line of trucks. The electric cars aren’t about saving Mother Nature, at least not for car manufacturers, it’s about overall fleet MPG, if they really want to go green they would reintroduce the horse and buggy.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    I’m almost certain the police and emergency services will be the last to go to a full electric fleet, and it wouldn’t surprise me if some never do and if some have a back up fleet of gas engines.

The government will mandate fuel efficiency so ridiculous that most manufacturers will go to full electric cars, so they can buy enough credits to continue a line of trucks. The electric cars aren’t about saving Mother Nature, at least not for car manufacturers, it’s about overall fleet MPG, if they really want to go green they would reintroduce the horse and buggy.
    No one wants to go green they all just want everyone else to. If you’re honestly trying to go green flip that main breaker in your house off until then you’re a hypocrite at best.

I am aware nothing is absolute and there is some hairy arm pit woman living in the forest that flipped the main breaker off but she won’t get to read this.

cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    May 5, 2012

That would mean one of these big manufacturers has to keep an assembly line running and gasoline source parts just for fire ems and police? All that require different types of vehicles ? Sounds like special order custom type stuff after this big switch is made. And where will they fuel them up? With the rise of electric vehicles will be a decline in gas stations.

I know they don’t have a problem spending tax money just another thing to consider.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I recall my father telling me he had a car with a 429 (?) in his youth that was loud enough to shake windows in town cruising around for chicks… I don’t remember the specifics but I’m pretty sure he said basically the same thing, that the 429 was the faster engine.
    Remember I said not statistically proven just seat of pants. I am sure some blue oval officiando has the low down on this.
    We stuffed (literally) one of these into a 68 GTA Mustang with a windowed 390 in it.
    Buddy actually owned it and bought the wrecked Mercury from us to make a Frankenstein. He owned it for a good while and it gained a reputation around the west side. Never saw another 428 take it. Cyclones/Mustangs no matter. It was a fast Ford.
    He opted out of any Dyno Tuning. Said as long as it made him money why spend any on it.
    Damnit we miss those days.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    My uncle (dads brother) had a 1970 Torino with the 429SCJ Drag pack. It was Red/black with black interior.
    Statute of limitations has long passed. The story goes like this.. Dad's Mustang was tore down after popping a head gasket the weekend before. My uncle loaned dad the Torino for the evening because he was going to be out rolling with a friend that day. Anyway, dad's out cruising the streets looking for a race. He finally crosses paths with a guy in a split window Corvette out on Indy's far eastside. 2 lane road and they get side by side at a slow roll and the race is on. Corvette jumped out to take the lead but dad soon drove around him. After dad rolls out of the gas the other guy must have been butt hurt pretty bad because he clips the quarter panel and tried to spin dad. Well, dad wouldn't have any of that (back then in addition to his street activities he raced late model stock cars at IRP) so there was a little bit of rubbing because rubbin's racing lol. Finally dad had enough and clipped the Corvette sending it spinning into the yard in front of a church and he said he saw the lights through the dust as the Corvette ended up going back across the road and into a field as dad slipped away before any cops could get there. At the time my uncle still owed a fair bit for the car so neither one has ever admitted any specifics other than it was an awkward call to the insurance company. And the advice from my uncle be careful when loaning a car to your brother lol

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Radio wins more pursuits than motors, especially in more populated areas.

You can make your own electric easier than your own gas.

Grid stability: https://news.duke-energy.com/releas...htning-electric-trucks-to-help-power-the-grid

Just saying, don't make the mistake of thinking technology stands still. There's money to be made on these problems and when there's money to be made, smart people find solutions. I'm not ready for an EV yet, but a decade from now? Who knows.

Super Bee

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 2, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Dodge has been talking about this for a while now and in the Mopar community it is not going over very well at all. Those cars are great sellers for Dodge, I am predicting a huge sales drop.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    While I will certainly miss the V8s, they aren't going full electric (there will be an electric muscle car of some variety), Chrysler (Stellantis) recently announced a line of twin turbo inline 6s.

The "standard" Hurricane 3.0L is 400 hp and 450 ft/lbs. The HO is 500 hp and 475 ft lbs.

I imagine that those are just the beginning.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    My uncle (dads brother) had a 1970 Torino with the 429SCJ Drag pack. It was Red/black with black interior.
    Statute of limitations has long passed. The story goes like this.. Dad's Mustang was tore down after popping a head gasket the weekend before. My uncle loaned dad the Torino for the evening because he was going to be out rolling with a friend that day. Anyway, dad's out cruising the streets looking for a race. He finally crosses paths with a guy in a split window Corvette out on Indy's far eastside. 2 lane road and they get side by side at a slow roll and the race is on. Corvette jumped out to take the lead but dad soon drove around him. After dad rolls out of the gas the other guy must have been butt hurt pretty bad because he clips the quarter panel and tried to spin dad. Well, dad wouldn't have any of that (back then in addition to his street activities he raced late model stock cars at IRP) so there was a little bit of rubbing because rubbin's racing lol. Finally dad had enough and clipped the Corvette sending it spinning into the yard in front of a church and he said he saw the lights through the dust as the Corvette ended up going back across the road and into a field as dad slipped away before any cops could get there. At the time my uncle still owed a fair bit for the car so neither one has ever admitted any specifics other than it was an awkward call to the insurance company. And the advice from my uncle be careful when loaning a car to your brother lol
    Another Mercury reference.
    This must have been all theirs.

Top Bottom