• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well for me, I have way too many, and all I will ever need "if" I am always allowed to have one in the future.
    Still something is drawing me to the classifieds and to check Police Supply store these last few days.
    While I do not need anything, a "something" just before Americas Change, has got me to thinking it may be time for a Goodbye Gun, especially a new Glock.
    Again as I have mentioned I do not need anything, especially a new (to me ) Glock, but...…...you never know, so if I don't see anything on Armslist, and or the classifieds today, (Miracles can and do happen), I will stop by tomorrow after my shift, and visit Steven R Jenkins Police Supply in Indy, and see what is left and available.
    A gen 5 G-19, should do it, however, I was just there last Tuesday and they (Jenkins) were out of most of them (Blue Label Glocks) at t he moment.
    I would snatch any gen 3, or maybe a gen 4, or gen 5 Glock in stock, but something tells me, the future here in America, that things may be may be different in just a few hours.

Anybody else getting a new to you pistol, rifle, whatever, in say maybe he next 48 hours?

Last edited:

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    No new firearms but did spend the majority of my Sunday evening scouring the interwebs for more 10 round magazines. I like using them at the range, and they may become a neccessity real soon.

ACC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   1
    Mar 7, 2012
    N. Side of Indy
    I am having a hard time not buying a Tavor X95 before the inauguration. Mr. GunsNGear did a video recently on guns to buy before Biden takes office. Might be a good starting point for those thinking about a Goodbye Gun

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    my focus has been ammo/mags for last minute "buy what's there" purchases
    Ditto. No new guns recently. In fact I have sold several guns recently to good friends who needed them much more than I did. For a couple of them it's the first gun they've owned.

My gun-stuff budget has been focused primarily on ammo, mags, spare parts, batteries, tools etc. to keep guns running as long as possible... but no new guns

Gd999

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 24, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Ditto. No new guns recently. In fact I have sold several guns recently to good friends who needed them much more than I did. For a couple of them it's the first gun they've owned.

My gun-stuff budget has been focused primarily on ammo, mags, spare parts, batteries, tools etc. to keep guns running as long as possible... but no new guns
    What would be the best spare parts to have on hand if Glock and AR15 are my only type of guns? I have about 25 ar15 mags and about 5 mags per glock. Hopefully that’s enough mags.

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    What would be the best spare parts to have on hand if Glock and AR15 are my only type of guns? I have about 25 ar15 mags and about 5 mags per glock. Hopefully that’s enough mags.
    Off the top of my head I'd buy a common AR 15 parts kit or three. pins/springs/firing pin. I can't recall the common name for it. Brownells calls it the AR 15 survival kit. I picked up one at a LGS a few months ago to replace a cotter pin I'd mangled.

Same thing for glock.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    AR and Glock 9mm (Gen 3) are the two systems where I stock the most parts, based on actual experience plus a lot of research including ranges that run rental guns into high round counts. A few inexpensive AR parts are based on the higher chance of loss. *These parts are only in case of expected stock changes; I work pretty carefully but over many years I've still managed to pinch and damage one of these springs at two different times. Extractor springs is what I have most often had to replace to get a troublesome AR running/feeding correctly, and gas rings on high wear ARs. I have one field spares kit with a complete bolt, another with just the extractor parts.

AR field spare parts kit(s):
    bolt assembly, complete (quick field fix, recommend BCM)
    extractor spring (latest Colt used to be the best bet, copper color spring and black insert if I recall correctly)
    extractor
    extractor pin (optional, loss item)
    firing pin retainer (optional but cheap, loss item)
    set of (3) gas rings
    cam pin (breakage)
    firing pin (breakage, although unlikely)
    gas key (breakage)
    (2) gas key screws (optional, breakage only likely on cheaper ARs with questionable parts sourcing, carry Allen L wrench to fit)

AR just-in-case spare parts for stock and barrel changes:
    buffer retainer*
    buffer retainer spring*
    rear takedown detent spring*
    gas tube pins (they sometimes deform and don't survive a barrel change)

You could stock a spare recoil spring given they are cheap, but it's a fairly heavy gauge wire and not overly stressed in the AR design. You may need a new barrel by the time you need a new recoil spring, but that's probably a good time to replace.

Depending on your barrel length you might want to stock some "adjacent" buffer weights for M4 stocks, the next higher or lower weight depending on whether what you are running already is on the high or low side for the barrel length combined with different ammo you may use in the future; slightly higher concern if we continue in take-what-you-can-get ammo mode. Gas port erosion with high round count will obviously push you toward a higher weight. For example, I have a 16" with M4-length gas system with an H buffer; that's probably going to run fine even with gas port erosion, but I keep a standard weight buffer on hand just in case.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    The most common Glock parts failure is the trigger spring. The next most common is the slide lock (takedown latch) spring on all the earlier gens where this is a flat leaf spring versus a coil spring.

The extractor has caused more problems in 9mm Glocks and especially the G19 of most interest to me, than any other part on pistols straight from the factory, so while I stock spares they don't inspire 100% confidence without running them in a particular pistol first to at least make sure they don't demonstrate any major feeding issues; but a lot of us are not going to burn ammo doing that now, so better to have one on the shelf untested than none at all. Extractors and firing pins are among the more expensive Glock small parts. If you decide to stock them I would just go ahead and get a complete FACTORY slide parts kit, which might be impossible to find now; Glock aftermarket slides and 80% builds has already been increasing demand for those kits. You might consider a set of spring cups and a firing pin spring as a minimalist high wear replacement slide parts kit.

Glock frame pins are fairly cheap and you could get a set as potential loss items, but the locking block pins are the only ones under any stress. The trigger pin grooves to retain the slide release are a weaker point and stress concentrator, but they have a pretty good record for durability. You could throw those two or all 3 in the field kit given the small size. (Edited to correctly identify the trigger pin vs. locking block pin.)

I've managed to never mangle one, but when doing a full takedown for detail cleaning every few 1000 rounds, the captive spring on the slide release lever is easy to damage if not careful. So that's a good one to stock only to idiot proof yourself, since I've made a similar idiot move while changing AR stocks as noted above.

I saw a Glock recoil assembly (that was field stripped) get caught in a tailgate seriously kinking one side of the flatwire recoil spring, so for as cheap and light as a Gen 3 G19 or G17 9mm recoil spring, I added one to my field carry spares kit.

Glock field spare parts kit:
    recoil spring assembly (round count replacement as with any semi-auto)
    trigger spring(s) (universal I think for Gen 3 and 4)
    slide lock spring (fairly model specific)
    trigger pin
    locking block pin
    Glock tool

Last edited:

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    I am having a hard time not buying a Tavor X95 before the inauguration. Mr. GunsNGear did a video recently on guns to buy before Biden takes office. Might be a good starting point for those thinking about a Goodbye Gun

Buy it. You won't be disappointed. I have a Sar and was shocked how well I liked it. In 556 that is my go to.

I did grab some extra mags. I had meant to buy them a month or so ago and forgot until I watched this video.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Decided this cold spell would be spent on the 1911 project gun that is in the works.
    Also going completely through everything I own from top/bottom.....front/back.
    Up grade as needed and everything standing tall at the ready.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Well today I am off at 12:30 and have a dental apt for cleaning at 3:00, so to Jenkins I go, (with the home financial holders approval)I will get to see if a Blue Label Gen 5, G-19 FS is available, last week I went in and all they had was a G-17 and G-45 Gen 5 for $398.20 and a G-43 with GNS for $411.
    I told another officer I work with, about what they had available and he got the G-17, so I hope maybe by chance a G- 19 has come in, if not I may buy a G-17 just because I can, and don't know what the future holds, to me its a "Bye Buy Miss American Pie" moment as (IMHO) America moves in another unknown direction tomorrow, I hope not, but with two years to retirement, a G-17/19 Gen 5 FS are on my list.
    I have a Grand daughter on the way, scheduled to be arriving the middle of next month, maybe I wil tag it for her ?!?

Last edited:

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Last chance, no chance, maybe last week, I had a chance, but today 19 Jan 21 SR Jenkins had just two Glocks in stock a Gen 4 G-21 in .45, and a Gen 5 G-26 in 9mm both $455 as they had Glock night sights installed.
    Oh well I have my share.
    I also stopped at Indy Gun Bunker and the had just one Glock a G-19X for $949.

Top Bottom