• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Does anyone know if the logos on most Holosun and Streamlight items is simply a laser burn on the black and the result is the fairly close to white finish that we see? Maybe it’s clear anodized over though and that would cause a problem…

I don’t own any of the aluminum black products like Birchwood makes, but I am considering ordering some. I know $20 isn’t the end of the world, but why not ask INGO. I am making an assumption that aluminum black is the result of a chemical reaction and not just a glorified paint marker. Thanks!

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    So what are you asking?
    Black anodizing is more then then a chemical reaction, normally black anodizing is also "hard coat" the material is very hard, so prevent scratches, ect.
    If you laser engrave over black (thru the anodizing) the raw aluminum will appear to be white.
    The other possibility is the white logo was silk screened or pad printed on the exterior

So ba k to my first question, what are you asking?

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    So what are you asking?
    Black anodizing is more then then a chemical reaction, normally black anodizing is also "hard coat" the material is very hard, so prevent scratches, ect.
    If you laser engrave over black (thru the anodizing) the raw aluminum will appear to be white.
    The other possibility is the white logo was silk screened or pad printed on the exterior

So ba k to my first question, what are you asking?

I appreciate your willingness to discuss.

First paragraph I am asking if the logos on Holosun and Streamlight products are usually just a result of a laser burning or etching the anodizing. Then, in the second paragraph I am mentioning touch-up products like Birchwoods Aluminum Black. Also with the hope that products like Aluminum Black are more based around a long lasting chemical reaction with aluminum.

Where I let us down is that I failed to say, “I’d like to use a product like Birchwood’s Aluminum Black to hide or darken the bright letters on both a Holosun 507c and Streamlight TLR-? weapon light because I like these products functionality but don’t care for them making my pistol look like a NASCAR.”

Thanks.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Most things appear silk screened or painted on, in my experiences. The RMR on my carry gun is having some of its numbers worn down from daily carry, but the anodizing is still there.

If I was you I'd probably just sharpie over the logos if you want to minimize them. If that isn't good enough, mask it off and paint it.

Big Hank

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Most things appear silk screened or painted on, in my experiences. The RMR on my carry gun is having some of its numbers worn down from daily carry, but the anodizing is still there.

If I was you I'd probably just sharpie over the logos if you want to minimize them. If that isn't good enough, mask it off and paint it.
    I’ve been impressed with the Sharpie technique, and shocked with how long it holds up…. Just seeing if there’s a next level to this. Thanks!

Top Bottom