• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    Certainly no veteran class-taker but I would suggest you zero at what you want your zero to be according to your application, just know your offsets. If its self defense in your home it might be 25, I'm a hunter at 100. I don't think we spent a lot of time at 100 yards. That could change with a dedicated carbine class.

Similarly, wear what your application/desire to train dictates. You can play in full battle rattle or casual wear or police uniform. IIRC most last year were in a battle belt or chest rig but just jeans and a belts fine. You'll want access to 3 rifle mags at all times and 2 pistol mags, so this dictates you wear a good belt. Probably also specifies no serpa holsters unless department issued.

He does a great job of letting you be you, until you're wrong, and then you're better.

Good deal! Thanks for the information!

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Certainly no veteran class-taker but I would suggest you zero at what you want your zero to be according to your application, just know your offsets. If its self defense in your home it might be 25, I'm a hunter at 100. I don't think we spent a lot of time at 100 yards. That could change with a dedicated carbine class.

Similarly, wear what your application/desire to train dictates. You can play in full battle rattle or casual wear or police uniform. IIRC most last year were in a battle belt or chest rig but just jeans and a belts fine. You'll want access to 3 rifle mags at all times and 2 pistol mags, so this dictates you wear a good belt. Probably also specifies no serpa holsters unless department issued.

He does a great job of letting you be you, until you're wrong, and then you're better.
    I’m not sure what casual wear I would typically don that warrants three rifle mags, a pistol and a pistol mag+
    Now toss in an AR,AK,FAL,SCAR....and you aren’t ‘casual’ no matter what you ‘might’ think.
    My understanding, talking to others who took this before, is the max range engaged will be 100 yards for this class.
    So are you guys/gals going to rock it with Iron sights, red dots or LPVO’s?

Juday

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    I’m not sure what casual wear I would typically don that warrants three rifle mags, a pistol and a pistol mag+
    Now toss in an AR,AK,FAL,SCAR....and you aren’t ‘casual’ no matter what you ‘might’ think.
    My understanding, talking to others who took this before, is the max range engaged will be 100 yards for this class.
    So are you guys/gals going to rock it with Iron sights, red dots or LPVO’s?

Trijicon MRO for me.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I took Larry's advanced carbine class last year & really enjoyed my weekend even in some unfortunate weather. "Value" is very subjective, but I think its worthwhile. I am signed up for this years' carbine class.

If you look at the local training landscape, we have many great handgun training options but few on the carbine side. Ironically my favorite class so far was led by nad63 and he will be joining!

So have any of you attended his classes before? Just wondering if it's worth the money. $300 per day isn't Thunder Ranch, but it ain't cheap.

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I'll be there Friday with an extra Commie gun for you!

Well crap let me juggle some things, I will show up with the MCX and a EOtech!

Larry’s the real deal IMO if you are easily offended might not be the class for you.

Last time about 12 INGO regulars showed up it was a great time.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    If I had the budget for this I would be all over it.
    As far as distance: the range is capable of going out to about 150-200 but at the 100 yard line the width of the range narrows. I got the impression LAV's class last year was designed to have drills past 100 but to prevent safety issues we kept everything at 100 and less. (Past 100 and the firing line is 1/2 the size and you have cars and a building along one of the edges.)

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I took Larry's advanced carbine class last year & really enjoyed my weekend even in some unfortunate weather. "Value" is very subjective, but I think its worthwhile. I am signed up for this years' carbine class.

If you look at the local training landscape, we have many great handgun training options but few on the carbine side. Ironically my favorite class so far was led by nad63 and he will be joining!
    ^This.
    And officially in for the carbine.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Would anyone else be interested in meeting up in Bedford again and renting out Chilly's range to run some drills together?

Possibly, depending on when. I'll probably be running a red dot for the August class, which I did not have on the rifle for the RR carbine. I probably need some test runs with it ahead of time.

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Possibly, depending on when. I'll probably be running a red dot for the August class, which I did not have on the rifle for the RR carbine. I probably need some test runs with it ahead of time.
    That was one of the reasons I was asking what people are running from their past experiences. 100 yards in and the red dot rocks. CQB and room clearing and the red dot rocks. If we have to hit a golf ball at a 100 or beer can at 200 then I’m thinking LPVO.
    I want to think I’m as quick with my LPVO close in as my red dot but it’s not true (close but no cigar).
    I’m looking forward to the class (sans Brad69 in thong)

brchixwing

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Nov 13, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Red dot is ideal! Larry's personal guns he used to teach us was BCM AR + Aimpoint red dot & Glock 17 (or 19) + Aimpoint red dot, probably a good benchmark. Virtually all shooting last year was inside of 100, I estimate 3/4 of the shooting was at 50 or under, mostly est. 9" paper bulls-eye paper targets & some steel, nothing we couldn't see without magnification. We did a good amount of work with transitions & running a red dot definitely seemed optimal for the class.

That was one of the reasons I was asking what people are running from their past experiences. 100 yards in and the red dot rocks. CQB and room clearing and the red dot rocks. If we have to hit a golf ball at a 100 or beer can at 200 then I’m thinking LPVO.
    I want to think I’m as quick with my LPVO close in as my red dot but it’s not true (close but no cigar).
    I’m looking forward to the class (sans Brad69 in thong)

nad63

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Red dot is ideal! Larry's personal guns he used to teach us was BCM AR + Aimpoint red dot & Glock 17 (or 19) + Aimpoint red dot, probably a good benchmark. Virtually all shooting last year was inside of 100, I estimate 3/4 of the shooting was at 50 or under, mostly est. 9" paper bulls-eye paper targets & some steel, nothing we couldn't see without magnification. We did a good amount of work with transitions & running a red dot definitely seemed optimal for the class.
    Perfect brchixwing that’s exactly the info I was looking for.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I dunno, I really like my Trijicon Accupoint 1-6. Love the glass, great with both eyes open on the lower power, felt like I did ok with it in these classes.
    What do you guys think of the Trijicon SRS? It would be my second choice as I like it better than most red dots I’ve tried.

Top Bottom