• ...and so much more!
  • ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Havent shot on this range since my last class with Pat, but for those of you from out of town....Range is close off I65. All grass surface unless that has changed recently. Range is right behind jail. Subway might be closest eats, but a lot is accessible near 65. Lots of hotel options inside 15 minute drive. If you head south on 65 to Whitestown Pkwy exit it has everything....if I was out of town I'd stay there. Meijer, restaurants, etc.
    I would just add that what may have changed is the worlds largest (or something like that) soccer/baseball complex 15 miles east in Westfield, hotels and restaurants are swamped over that way every weekend.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Can I use M855 ammo at this class? I have plenty & have tested it in my Colt 14.5". It's no where near 1 MOA but is "Appleseed Rifleman" accurate out to 400 yards which should be plenty good for a Carbine class.

[<<= ha, it's the same gun I used i another carbine class. Profile pic on the left]

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This will be fun!

I'm organizing 3 AR & 3 pistols, a couple types of slings, body armor & plates.
    I need to resize my battle belt. Lost too many lbs!
    I want to burn through some M855 but will bring some non-steel core for the targets. Hell, I still have my AR500 targets in the SUV if y'all want to shoot them. M855 won't bother them at all.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    I have this big pile of gear to sort though

still have to zero both rifles
    need to clean both rifles
    need to buy ammo
    Can’t find my wileyX shooting glasses
    Can’t find my sling
    Can’t find my gloves
    Need to loosen my belt since I have gained weight!

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    My gear is cleaned and laid out in the living room like I'm waiting for the first day of school. (except firearms of course... stand down Kirk) I have butterflies. Larry friggin Vickers!

(looks at forcast): Consider rain gear vs working wet. something, something, something... if it ain't raining you ain't training...

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    My gear is cleaned and laid out in the living room like I'm waiting for the first day of school. (except firearms of course... stand down Kirk) I have butterflies. Larry friggin Vickers!

(looks at forcast): Consider rain gear vs working wet. something, something, something... if it ain't raining you ain't training...

Charlie don't care?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    I'm not ready like I'd like to be, I've pulled the longest hours of my life trying to get this corn crop in the ground. But it's done, all except for the sweet corn which should go today. Hallelujah! So hopefully today I can get my head and my gear in the right spot.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    Weather looks good today ditcherman. I hope you get everything wrapped up and get some rest tonight.

I have a few little things to wrap up then get it all packed. I know I'll forget something... like lunch or water or... folding chair... notebook...

I don't clean guns often. Except for a backup pistol with a new threaded barrel (PPQ Jarvis 9mm conversion), I know all of the guns were working when I put them away. They'll get a visual & some oil, maybe a snake and that's about it.

C-y'all tomorrow!

efpeter

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2011
    I will be there! Weather looks sketchy though. Not worried about rain, but thunderstorms (lightning) tends to put a damper on things. Anxious to get started.

:)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I will be there! Weather looks sketchy though. Not worried about rain, but thunderstorms (lightning) tends to put a damper on things. Anxious to get started.

:)

That does change gear selection.

PMags, glock, polymer lower on AR... it is like taking a slow guy hiking when you anticipate bears. I don't have to be lightening proof, I just have to have less metal than someone else on the line so it won't be me that gets hit. :-)

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    For a more serious post. Here's what I'm mentally tossing around when considering running gear in the rain for this class.
    I'm bringing small rags/ towels in zip lock bags to wipe sweat/rain from glasses and optic. large brim hat to try and keep rain off of glasses. I'm going to put the scope covers back on the Vortex to cover them when not in use.
    Everyone make sure to sign, initial and bring the waiver that got emailed a while back.

Anyone have experience and able to weigh in on poncho vs rain jacket vs just deal with it when it comes to rocking a battle belt and weapons manipulations in the rain?
    I'm going to bring a couple options but anticipate I'll only put it on during breaks. I've said it before, I like miserable weather training. Mud, snow, heat... It isn't a macho thing, it helps me blame something when everyone sees me sucking at something. :-)

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Well I found my sling and gloves !
    Gonna stop and zero my rifles on the way up to Canada.

IME I usually don’t use wet weather gear in decent temperatures if it’s only gonna be like 8 hours and I get to sleep in a dry place. I would rather just train wet a jacket seems to work better for me than a poncho if I wear one. I have found it better to just run with wet optics and glasses than wipe them off during a drill it seems I always smear them and just make it worse. I try to keep a small dry cloth if I get mud in a optic or glasses or for wiping down during a break.

I can can only find one chamber flag is anyone bringing extras? If we even need them?

Last edited:

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Well I found my sling and gloves !
    Gonna stop and zero my rifles on the way up to Canada.

IME I usually don’t use wet weather gear in decent temperatures if it’s only gonna be like 8 hours and I get to sleep in a dry place. I would rather just train wet a jacket seems to work better for me than a poncho if I wear one. I have found it better to just run with wet optics and glasses than wipe them off during a drill it seems I always smear them and just make it worse. I try to keep a small dry cloth if I get mud in a optic or glasses or for wiping down during a break.

I can can only find one chamber flag is anyone bringing extras? If we even need them?

Canada?

I doubt we use chamber flags often based on past (non- intro) carbine clinics but I'll bring extra's so you are covered. IIRC, classes like these teach/stress safety on and off as the rifle comes up or goes down. Safety on, cover closed, and slung in a hanging but controlled way is the rifle's holster. This class may be different but that is my experience with similar classes.
    I think we have the same logic on working wet, I just can't back my logic up with experience like I know you can.

Brad69

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2016
    Perry county
    Anything north of Bedford or Columbus is Canada to us southerners!

Yeah doubt if we need chamber flags I just don’t wanna be that “guy” in case we use them on breaks/admin time.

ArmedRPh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Hey guys.

So...went into my email account to print off the "if you shoot yourself it's your fault" form and it was auto-deleted from the junk folder. Would one of you please PM me either a copy of the form or just hit me up and I'll send you my email address.

THANKS EVERYONE. I GOT IT TAKEN CARE OF. SEE YOU TOMORROW.

Thanks,
    mike

Last edited:
    Top Bottom