• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indyk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Alpha site
    A few of my friends have been thinking the same thing op. After reading this thread there is a bit more I certainly hadn’t considered.

I have almost given up on the idea but have been sending out the word to “lease” a stretch of land lets say, from a farmer with a large plot for an x amount yearly or monthly but times are certainly different now, my ol family name don’t travel that far anymore and the old timers that used to own the best shooting and fishing spots have passed on.

The range I belong to is getting busy. I have been going there since I could stand on a chair and shoot over the bench.
    Trash, trash in the brass cans, holes in the canopy, non ballistic steel targets starting to litter the range, folks are bringing non members and they are now bringing their friends.
    Fortunately I do 90% of my shooting in the late fall and winter. There’s hardly anyone out there then. I have the proper cold weather gear to enjoy myself and my AK’s prefer the cold heheheh…..

But the search goes on!

Last edited:

FNparabellum

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Aug 30, 2022
    Indianapolis
    Would anyone be interested in purchasing rural land for the purposes of recreation, shooting, hunting, fishing, camping?

1) If so how much would you be willing to invest?
    2) Alternatively, does anyone have connections to land owners within 45 min of Indianapolis who would want to sell, lease, or rent land to a group of responsible marksmen?

Why do this?
    I've been interested in acquiring land to enjoy nature, and shoot calibers and at distances I am unable to in Indianapolis. I also realize that I wouldn't use the land very much (maybe once a month) and would likely spend as much time just maintaining it as actually using/enjoying it. If others would share in the maintenance and contribute towards the purchasing, it would be more enjoyable for all, and it would be possible to purchase a larger lot.

Proposal (What I have in mind):
    Option 1) Pool funds of 5-10 individuals to purchase ~20-60 acres with % set aside for operating expenses.
    Form legal holding entity with ownership stakes. Grant exclusive small plats for each member if they want to build a cabin or shed.
    Generate revenue either by renting fields, registering portions of property in conservation programs, selling private hunting rights, or otherwise.

Option 2) If anyone has leads for this option, I'd be more than happy to compensate a land owner for use of their property to shoot occasionally. Compensation could be in the form of currency, ammo, security cam installation, or access control/gate installation. If you'd be interested in creating a small group (<10 people) if we could identify a landowner for this purpose, lmk.

If this post violates any rules, I will promptly remove it.
    Love the idea! Unfortunately not in the cards for myself at the moment.

Titanium700

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2022
    Otisco
    Well.
    I also had some friends that wanted to do this same thing.
    Would’ve been 4 of us hoping for 100+- acres.
    So glad we didn’t.
    One guy got a divorce not long after we talked about it. (That would’ve shaken things up a bit)
    I’m the type where I don’t want to share land so I searched for my own.
    Had an opportunity to buy a nice chunk for a somewhat decent price but the owners wanted to split the pond in half to share.
    No way.
    I didn’t want that because I wanted my home to be close to said pond.
    Backed out of that deal too.
    So glad I did because from what I understand the new owners and them are having “issues”
    I ended up finding a nice old farmer who said he’d sell me 62 acres which included a 3 1/2 acre pond and a 3/4 acre pond both stocked with big bass and gills.
    I’m in Heaven got it for a great price and my home is right near the big pond.
    I walk out my door to hunt and fish if I desire.
    Don’t partner up…..

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Would anyone be interested in purchasing rural land for the purposes of recreation, shooting, hunting, fishing, camping?

1) If so how much would you be willing to invest?
    2) Alternatively, does anyone have connections to land owners within 45 min of Indianapolis who would want to sell, lease, or rent land to a group of responsible marksmen?

Why do this?
    I've been interested in acquiring land to enjoy nature, and shoot calibers and at distances I am unable to in Indianapolis. I also realize that I wouldn't use the land very much (maybe once a month) and would likely spend as much time just maintaining it as actually using/enjoying it. If others would share in the maintenance and contribute towards the purchasing, it would be more enjoyable for all, and it would be possible to purchase a larger lot.

Proposal (What I have in mind):
    Option 1) Pool funds of 5-10 individuals to purchase ~20-60 acres with % set aside for operating expenses.
    Form legal holding entity with ownership stakes. Grant exclusive small plats for each member if they want to build a cabin or shed.
    Generate revenue either by renting fields, registering portions of property in conservation programs, selling private hunting rights, or otherwise.

Option 2) If anyone has leads for this option, I'd be more than happy to compensate a land owner for use of their property to shoot occasionally. Compensation could be in the form of currency, ammo, security cam installation, or access control/gate installation. If you'd be interested in creating a small group (<10 people) if we could identify a landowner for this purpose, lmk.

If this post violates any rules, I will promptly remove it.
    Only kinda ship that won't sail is a partnership.

Top Bottom