• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas

The constitution calls for a veto session to be scheduled automatically when a governor jettisons legislation. However, a majority vote of either the House or Senate can scrap the gathering, and lawmakers had canceled every veto session over nearly five decades.

But the Republican-led House and Senate are spurning that tradition this year. Neither chamber’s membership turned in enough ballots by the Thursday midnight deadline to stop this year’s session.

That’s a shame.

What are the odds that Louisiana will become the nation’s 22nd constitutional carry state? Pretty good, judging by the margins by which the bill passed in each house. The constitutional carry bill passed both the House (73-26) and the Senate (27-9) by veto-proof majorities.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Good, I got a “detained” and questioned down there at a gas station bc of open carry while on my way hunting one morning.

I say “detained” bc although he never actually said it it was clear from his words and demeanor that I wasn’t free to go until I answered.

ain’t no need for that especially since it’s perfectly legal to open carry without a permit there.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Good, I got a “detained” and questioned down there at a gas station bc of open carry while on my way hunting one morning.

I say “detained” bc although he never actually said it it was clear from his words and demeanor that I wasn’t free to go until I answered.

ain’t no need for that especially since it’s perfectly legal to open carry without a permit there.
    Am. I. Free. To. Go.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    In the meantime our legislature can't even hold a vote on an overwhelmingly supported piece of legislation.

Can't get constitutional carry, can't get 2A sanctuary, can't get mask overrides, can't ban vaccine requirements, can't ban CRT in schools. So tired of Indiana's lazy RINO legislature getting shown up by other states.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Wow. They failed.

Senate fails to override veto of bill allowing concealed guns without permit (lailluminator.com)

During its initial passage in June, the House voted for it 73-28 and the Senate voted for it 27-9 — above the required two-thirds. Republicans and a handful of Democrats in both chambers supported the legislation, but some of those Senators changed their positions on Tuesday. Those included Sen. Gary Smith (D-Norco), Sen. Patrick Connick (R-Marrero), Sen. Louie Bernard (R-Natchitoches), Sen. Franklin Foil (R-Baton Rouge) and Sen. Greg Tarver (D-Shreveport).

The article says it's unknown whether a second override vote can be taken in this same session.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    In more uplifting news however; the Michigan legislature has rescinded the Michigan Emergency powers law Whitmer the Beast used to incarcerate all of Michigan.

Something else our Indiana legislature failed to get done...

I had high hopes for Louisiana to get Constitutional Carry over the hump. If their effort dies here, I sincerely hope they send some non-Constitutionalists packing.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    So it seems that the members who changed their vote only voted yes the first time as they new it would be vetoed. They could say "See, I tried." They never thought there would be an override vote. Now their true colors show.
    I've always said about mainly the national congress but appears to be most legislative bodies: the republicans love to be in the minority so they can talk big as a conservative but never be able to get anything passed. Once they become the majority or even have a chance to pass something even remotely conservative, they wimp out.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    So it seems that the members who changed their vote only voted yes the first time as they new it would be vetoed. They could say "See, I tried." They never thought there would be an override vote. Now their true colors show.
    So during the Gun Talk podcast, Tom Gresham, a LA native explains what could happen this past Sunday, before the vote.
    Podcast linked below. It's right at the beginning.

Unique to LA, the governor had "line item veto" power. So the said rep that votes for the constitutional Carry overturn will not get any money for a project in their district. So basically it's dirty politics as usual. It's explained better in the podcast above.

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    So during the Gun Talk podcast, Tom Gresham, a LA native explains what could happen this past Sunday, before the vote.
    Podcast linked below. It's right at the beginning.

Unique to LA, the governor had "line item veto" power. So the said rep that votes for the constitutional Carry overturn will not get any money for a project in their district. So basically it's dirty politics as usual. It's explained better in the podcast above.

And since a large percentage of properties are completely tax exempt and the sales tax is high this holds a lot of sway

Top Bottom