• ...and so much more!
  • Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    Nice.

I only have two critiques regarding the grinder and you might find you don't have an issue with either one:

The first is the plate you have the platen mounted to. Most of them have a "C" shape or a cutout along where the platen is so it doesn't get in the way when you are grinding. You might find that you are hitting the handle of the knife on it while you are grinding with the handle facing to the left.

Here is what I mean (and I want to get one of these exact platens if they ever come back in stock)...
    View attachment 172338

The second is just from experience, but a single speed direct drive grinder is pretty fast. It's completely usable, but you'll find that using a 3 phase motor with a VFD is an unbelievable upgrade. Being able to slow the grinder down while grinding or finish grinding after heat treat is a huge plus.

The one thing I use a ton in my shop that I don't see in yours is a band saw. A Portaband mounted to a table to cut out knife blanks, handle material, shorten bolts/handle tubes/pins or whatever is one of the things I use the most. It's actually the first thing I bought and I don't quite know how I'd get by without it.
    My idea for a band saw is to buy a portable one and make a stand for it to mount on my worktable. That way it can used two ways, as a stationary saw and a portable saw.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    My idea for a band saw is to buy a portable one and make a stand for it to mount on my worktable. That way it can used two ways, as a stationary saw and a portable saw.

I have this one... https://www.swagoffroad.com/products/swag-portaband-pro-table

As much as I like building my own stuff, sometimes I find that it's just easier to buy something as I don't save as much money on it as I think I would (especially if I don't already have the materials lying around). Plus there is the time spent building it. The SWAG is nice as you just unscrew on finger screw and the bandsaw comes off the table so you can use it on it's own.

Axxe55

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2021
    Texas.
    I have this one... https://www.swagoffroad.com/products/swag-portaband-pro-table

As much as I like building my own stuff, sometimes I find that it's just easier to buy something as I don't save as much money on it as I think I would (especially if I don't already have the materials lying around). Plus there is the time spent building it. The SWAG is nice as you just unscrew on finger screw and the bandsaw comes off the table so you can use it on it's own.
    Many times the reason I build things is because I can't find something that fits my specific needs for a particular use.

Top Bottom