• ...and so much more!
  • patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to a flat tempered glass plate works great for plane blades. Not sure how well it would work on a knife with a curved blade. I really want a wicked edge, but just have never justified the expense. This little doodad and a butchers steel keep the kitchen knives tomato skin sharp. 16227227735438180640924391642352.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to a flat tempered glass plate works great for plane blades. Not sure how well it would work on a knife with a curved blade. I really want a wicked edge, but just have never justified the expense. This little doodad and a butchers steel keep the kitchen knives tomato skin sharp. View attachment 142494
    We have something similar for the kitchen knives. CKW is brutal on them so spending a crap load of time on a stone is silly. I do stone the heavy blade butchers knives when they get to beat up for the draw through and steel treatment.

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Ok if the pocket knives have smaller blades clamping them In the Lansky may be problematic. The KME is a lot better unit, but it's to pricey for me. The Edge Pro Apex 2 is also really nice, but again pricey.

If you're just looking to sharpen for everyday use you may want to check out Work Sharp Ken Onion model, I have a buddy that has one and gets surprisingly good results, atleast as good as what I get with the Gatco kit if I don't use a extra fine or ceramic stone.
    I have actually been thinking about picking one up for kitchen knives

I also ran across this recently from Work Sharp, looks promising if the clamp works good.

Thanks for all the info. The KME looks like it might be the 1 for me. There are a couple used 1s on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    Wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to a flat tempered glass plate works great for plane blades. Not sure how well it would work on a knife with a curved blade. I really want a wicked edge, but just have never justified the expense. This little doodad and a butchers steel keep the kitchen knives tomato skin sharp. View attachment 142494

I have something similar to that pic (pull through sharpener) it works good for kitchen knives - I’ll probably stick with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flightsimmer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    S.E. Indy
    I've had a Lansky for years and like it very much, I would suggest that you get the diamond sharpeners if there still available, the stones wear down and lose there shape, no longer flat.
    It leaves a professional looking job.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I have a lansky 5 stone kit and an old loray kit that was my dad's when he was younger. I like the clamp on the loray better but I also like the lansky being able to attach to a base. My hand isn't steady enough for freehanding it so I appreciate the guides.

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I have always used stones and a good magnifing light. My wife got me the Work Sharp,K.O. w/ the optional 3/4 x 16 inch belt adaptor.I put the 1/2 inch head away. Found bulk belts cheap online, and even leather straps. It is no Tomek, but it was under $200.00. I take my time.The problem now is when I travel.everyone says to bring the sharpener. It is not perfect,but it works.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Terre Haute
    KME works well for me. I did add the 100 grit diamond stone for edge reprofiling. And make sure your kit comes with the base. If not order it separately. Worth the extra $$.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

texas123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Frankfort
    Guess I am stuck in a time that has passed. Grandpa used to carry a Case and sometimes a KA-BAR Oldtimer. He taught me how to put a razor edge on a knife. Never used anything but stones and a little oil. He would start with one stone and finish it with another. The whole time puffing on one of those short no filter lucky strikes, and a gulp or two of BLACK LABEL beer ( Hey mabel black label). Nothing wrong with any device you choose to sharpen your blades. Just whatever your most comfortable and proficient with . I still have his sharpening stones.

bcod151

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 15, 2012
    LA PORTE
    I am far from any good at sharpening knives but found the wicked edge system is easy and does a great job making the knife sharp again. With all the different stone options you can go as far as getting a mirror edge if thats what you like.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I got my Cutthroat broadheads shaving sharp by using a #1 mill b*stard file first (and Sharpie marker) and then a Worksharp field sharpener (the leather strop was the key).

Didn't take long either.

Have used Lansky for hunting knives for decades. It works, isn't perfect, takes some knack and I have a variety of stones. Clamp sucks, rods suck...........I really am diggin that silly little Worksharp.

Trooper Ale is what I drank when sharpening broadheads last year :)

duboismd

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Indy
    I love the Work Sharp Precision Knife Sharpener. Gets my knives razor sharp in a more or less fool proof manner. For $50 you can't go wrong. Seems to do as good as (as close as I can tell) the Edge Pro my son-in-law uses. He spent over $700 and there is no real difference in results that either of us can determine. Admit I'm not an expert on sharpening but by adding the 4 side strop (https://www.knifecenter.com/item/JR...r-sided-paddle-strop-with-pre-loaded-compound) from Knife center (another $40), my cutlery shaves paper, hair, etc.

Top Bottom