Knife sharpening kit

patience0830

.22 magician
Site Supporter
Rating - 95.7%
22   1   0
Nov 3, 2008
Not far from the tree
Wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to a flat tempered glass plate works great for plane blades. Not sure how well it would work on a knife with a curved blade. I really want a wicked edge, but just have never justified the expense. This little doodad and a butchers steel keep the kitchen knives tomato skin sharp. 16227227735438180640924391642352.jpg

churchmouse

I still care....Really
Staff member
Administrator
Site Supporter
Rating - 100%
182   0   0
Dec 7, 2011
Speedway area
Wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to a flat tempered glass plate works great for plane blades. Not sure how well it would work on a knife with a curved blade. I really want a wicked edge, but just have never justified the expense. This little doodad and a butchers steel keep the kitchen knives tomato skin sharp. View attachment 142494
We have something similar for the kitchen knives. CKW is brutal on them so spending a crap load of time on a stone is silly. I do stone the heavy blade butchers knives when they get to beat up for the draw through and steel treatment.

TomO

Plinker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 12, 2014
Central
Ok if the pocket knives have smaller blades clamping them In the Lansky may be problematic. The KME is a lot better unit, but it's to pricey for me. The Edge Pro Apex 2 is also really nice, but again pricey.

If you're just looking to sharpen for everyday use you may want to check out Work Sharp Ken Onion model, I have a buddy that has one and gets surprisingly good results, atleast as good as what I get with the Gatco kit if I don't use a extra fine or ceramic stone.
I have actually been thinking about picking one up for kitchen knives

I also ran across this recently from Work Sharp, looks promising if the clamp works good.

Thanks for all the info. The KME looks like it might be the 1 for me. There are a couple used 1s on eBay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TomO

Plinker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 12, 2014
Central
Wet/dry sandpaper rubber cemented to a flat tempered glass plate works great for plane blades. Not sure how well it would work on a knife with a curved blade. I really want a wicked edge, but just have never justified the expense. This little doodad and a butchers steel keep the kitchen knives tomato skin sharp. View attachment 142494

I have something similar to that pic (pull through sharpener) it works good for kitchen knives - I’ll probably stick with that too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

flightsimmer

Master
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Dec 27, 2008
S.E. Indy
I've had a Lansky for years and like it very much, I would suggest that you get the diamond sharpeners if there still available, the stones wear down and lose there shape, no longer flat.
It leaves a professional looking job.

freekforge

Expert
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Jul 20, 2012
marion
I have a lansky 5 stone kit and an old loray kit that was my dad's when he was younger. I like the clamp on the loray better but I also like the lansky being able to attach to a base. My hand isn't steady enough for freehanding it so I appreciate the guides.

1DOWN4UP

Master
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Mar 25, 2015
North of 30
I have always used stones and a good magnifing light. My wife got me the Work Sharp,K.O. w/ the optional 3/4 x 16 inch belt adaptor.I put the 1/2 inch head away. Found bulk belts cheap online, and even leather straps. It is no Tomek, but it was under $200.00. I take my time.The problem now is when I travel.everyone says to bring the sharpener. It is not perfect,but it works.

BowhuntnHoosier

Angry Old Conservative Fart
Trainer Supporter
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Jan 28, 2011
Terre Haute
KME works well for me. I did add the 100 grit diamond stone for edge reprofiling. And make sure your kit comes with the base. If not order it separately. Worth the extra $$.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

texas123

Plinker
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Jul 31, 2012
Frankfort
Guess I am stuck in a time that has passed. Grandpa used to carry a Case and sometimes a KA-BAR Oldtimer. He taught me how to put a razor edge on a knife. Never used anything but stones and a little oil. He would start with one stone and finish it with another. The whole time puffing on one of those short no filter lucky strikes, and a gulp or two of BLACK LABEL beer ( Hey mabel black label). Nothing wrong with any device you choose to sharpen your blades. Just whatever your most comfortable and proficient with . I still have his sharpening stones.

Top Bottom