North Central

Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I should say thin or narrow blades don't mount very securely on the clamp, so it doesn't work very good for thin filet style knives.

Also make sure to get a mount to use as holding it by hand is a pain without one.
    Can confirm. I like the lansky kit but its not without its flaws. Good bang for your buck and definitely better than a whetstone though.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    What has become of setting down with a really good set of stones. Some oil and a rag. Add a cold beer and patience.
    The proper music sometimes helps but some serious peace and quite with the sound of good steel on a really good stone.
    A mechanical aid to maintain angle is beneficial to consistency, especially for the inexperienced.. I admire and represent the zen you seek, but for the masses, the mechanical aid is a bonus.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    A mechanical aid to maintain angle is beneficial to consistency, especially for the inexperienced.. I admire and represent the zen you seek, but for the masses, the mechanical aid is a bonus.
    I have a couple of the aids myself. If I do use one I will finish up on one of the stones on the shelf just because.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    I have that sharpening system. Its better than the simpler lansky version. But its kind of a headache setting it up every time. assembling the arms, checking to make sure they're level, its weird to hold for me. Every time i remove a knife from the clamp something falls because you have to hold the knife and a screw driver. Its slow imo. You get sharp results, but if i could free hand razor sharp with consistency i would throw it in the trash.

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    I have that sharpening system. Its better than the simpler lansky version. But its kind of a headache setting it up every time. assembling the arms, checking to make sure they're level, its weird to hold for me. Every time i remove a knife from the clamp something falls because you have to hold the knife and a screw driver. Its slow imo. You get sharp results, but if i could free hand razor sharp with consistency i would throw it in the trash.

Does the optional mount help resolve some of these issues?

242da90c3ee4e599f2e6734bdcf4308a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    I’m not hung up on the lansky kit - open to other brands/different types of sharpening systems. I am certain I want something with a jig/guide to get the correct angle.

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette
    I’m looking to upgrade my knife sharpener. Any suggestions?

Has anyone had good results with lansky products?
    Looking at this kit: https://lansky.com/index.php/products/dlx-5-stone-system/

I've got a lansky sharpener that I break out when I need to re-profile an edge. However my go to kit for the past 30 years is a Spyderco TriAngle Sharpmaker. It is fast and easy, but I do notice that due to slightly rocking the blade, I get a slightly convex grind and after repeated sharpenings need to go to the lansky to flatten the bevel to get back to fast sharpenings.

The Lansky works great, but is just more trouble to setup and because it needs oil, is messier to use.

--Rick

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Best systems out there are Wicked Edge and Edge Pro, imo. I own Edge Pro, but also utilize basic stones/sandpaper/belts for certain applications (convex edges and scandi grinds especially).

The systems really help you precisely define an edge angle. Whether you are re-profiling or just touching up, you can guarantee an exact edge angle with a good system (as edge angle is a very important aspect in the cutting application).

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have that Lansky kit, too. It's okay. I haven't been able to get a really impressive edge out of it, but it's serviceable.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Mostly pocket knives - mostly CV (Case) & s30v

And some fixed blades + kitchen knives.

Ok if the pocket knives have smaller blades clamping them In the Lansky may be problematic. The KME is a lot better unit, but it's to pricey for me. The Edge Pro Apex 2 is also really nice, but again pricey.

If you're just looking to sharpen for everyday use you may want to check out Work Sharp Ken Onion model, I have a buddy that has one and gets surprisingly good results, atleast as good as what I get with the Gatco kit if I don't use a extra fine or ceramic stone.
    I have actually been thinking about picking one up for kitchen knives

I also ran across this recently from Work Sharp, looks promising if the clamp works good.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I got one like those above years ago....simply suck at it, I try every now and then and never seems to work, maybe need to watch a video but seem even the course just slides over the blades and does nothing. Sandpaper has been my go to system lately.

Top Bottom