• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Full disclosure up front.....I know next to nothing if not less about knives. Long story short, looking at buying a knife for my brother as a Christmas gift.
    Thinking a nice EDC blade yet it needs to be a functional tool to be used in his lawn care business. Any recommendations or thoughts on features I
    should keep in mind? Budget is obviously a consideration but not an overriding one.

drd

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Westfield
    I'm a pocket knife nut. Probably buy 3 a year. I was a fan of Kershaw when Ken Onion work there. Now I've switched to his designs at CRKT. My most recent is the Outrage EDC. I've tried the field strip CRKT knives and they are nice too. That might be something to look at for your brother. It's all personal. So I'm sure there are strong opinions for other selections.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Ask him what he likes.
    Bestech is a Chinese company producing some excellent knives for small moneys. D2 steel and g10 scales. Lots of options. Depending on the $ you want to spend. Spiderco, Benchmade are good gifts.

ISP 5353

Master
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    Putnam County
    Take a good look at the Spyderco PM2. Great all around size, good steel and a great lock. Get in touch with Brad's Knives and take a look at his stock. Lots of good options and he is a great guy to deal with.

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    Many thanks for the comments and recommendations. And I thought options and components available on firearms were dizzying!! Seems some research is in order. Might need to buy 2.....or 12 for myself to do the process justice ;)

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Spyderco, Benchmade, or Zero Tolerance are considered the "big 3" of pocket knives. Pick something you think he'd like from one of them.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I think a price range would be helpful. People say it isn't really an issue until they see a $400 recommendation.
    If it is something to use in his mowing business, would a Leatherman multi tool be more useful?

AdventureTeamJoe

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 10, 2018
    Indy Northside
    I think a price range would be helpful. People say it isn't really an issue until they see a $400 recommendation.
    If it is something to use in his mowing business, would a Leatherman multi tool be more useful?

He's got several multi tools hence my thought of a dedicated knife. You're right about price range. $400 might not go unnoticed by my better half. $250 or less would be a more realistic budget.

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I recommend the SOG PowerAssist multi-tool. I EDC one on my belt whilst my Emerson is for self defense use only. The SOG has compound leverage pliers, cutters, screwdrivers, file and emergency seatbelt cutter plus assisted opening knife blade and sheepsfoot serrated cutting surface. They can be had from one of the sponsors on here, fleabay and Glamazon.
    Now for a real made in the USA knife, I recommend just about any Emerson. Just my two schillings worth but I am a knife snob.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    He's got several multi tools hence my thought of a dedicated knife. You're right about price range. $400 might not go unnoticed by my better half. $250 or less would be a more realistic budget.

Spyderco Military
    Spyderco Paramilitary 2
    Spyderco Manix 2
    Manix 2 XL

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I made the mistake of letting Brad talk me into a Syperco PM2 many years ago. I haven't found any knife since that could bump it from my 6 day a week daily carry.
    I tried a couple and there was always something not right compared to the PM2.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Having spent the last hour looking on the Spyderco site, I've determined that you, sir, are an enabler! Remind me not to read your firearm recommendations!! :@ya:

You must be new here! I have no interest whatsoever in knives. I was taking wild guess so I could participate. Yeah, that's it.

100Xkid

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    kokomo area
    For the last 2 years I have carried a Kershaw with wave. I love how it deploys and it is a good knife for EDC. It is not t Branchmade or a ZT but for $40 I can lose it at work and not be tooo pissed off.

Top Bottom