• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indydave

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    camby
    I have a Ken onion 1550 kershaw assisted folder.
    For all around everyday carry and use it is tough to beat. They are of course discontinued.
    What else is there I can get my grandsons?

AZ D

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    NWI
    I remember the day that I got my first “real” knife as a gift. I was a pretty young fella, and It was a Buck 110. Remember it like it was yesterday! Fond memories for sure!

They can be had in several flavors these days.

I guess my vote goes for the Buck 110!

Edited to add that I’m pretty impressed with Cold Steel’s Tri-ad lock also. Several there to choose from as well.

Last edited:

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    My vote is for the Kershaw Leek (1660) as I tend to favor a straighter cutting edge. If it was still available, I'd go with the Kershaw Needs Work (1820).

You can always try eBay to find the 1550, but any of the current offerings from Kershaw would make a fine pocket knife.

For my grandkids, I'm planning to get them something simple to start, like the Buck 503. After that, work into bigger and more task specific knives. For example, they will all get some sort of Mora knife when we start working on outdoor skills.

Hard to believe that time is only a few years off ...

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Kershaw in general has outstanding value. Many great options under $50 and even under $30.
    Personal recommendations for all-around EDC knives, all Kershaws, most under $50:

-Fatback. My favorite.

-RJ 2.0, has sentimental value for me because it was my first folder and a gift from Pops

-Knockout (now over $50 but I bought it for $40 on sale, fit and finish on this thing is similar to $100+ options)

-Kershaw Emerson CQC series is awesome, the little wave feature opens the blade as you draw the knife from your pocket depending on how you orient it which is cool

-Injection 2.0 has incredible value at under $20 (try eBay) but there are better looking options for just a bit more money if you really want to make an impression on your g-kids, like those that I listed first

As I was looking at Kershaw's website to jog my memory, I found this little gem:
    Kershaw Misdirect

Found it on eBay for $23 free ship (before tax) from a top rated seller:
    Kershaw Misdirect $23 eBay

So thanks to you I have a new Kershaw Misdirect on the way :):

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    8< 8< 8< SNIP 8< 8< 8<

As I was looking at Kershaw's website to jog my memory, I found this little gem:
    Kershaw Misdirect

Found it on eBay for $23 free ship (before tax) from a top rated seller:
    Kershaw Misdirect $23 eBay

So thanks to you I have a new Kershaw Misdirect on the way :):
    Well, thank a lot for the eBay link ... now I have one on the way too and a few other Kershaw knives from this seller.

I'm so weak and you are all such a bad influence ...

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Well, thank a lot for the eBay link ... now I have one on the way too and a few other Kershaw knives from this seller.

I'm so weak and you are all such a bad influence ...
    How do you like your Misdirect? I really like the looks and feel of this thing. Locks up very solid. Came workably sharp out of the box.

Only issue I have is the pocket clip. Not very good, I've found the clip likes working itself out of the pocket. Knife has fallen out onto the ground multiple times when stepping out of the car, so can't comfortably carry this thing unless I get a better clip for it... already really like this knife especially for the price, just the dang clip sucks.

I only have a sample size of one so figured I'd ask

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    How do you like your Misdirect? I really like the looks and feel of this thing. Locks up very solid. Came workably sharp out of the box.

Only issue I have is the pocket clip. Not very good, I've found the clip likes working itself out of the pocket. Knife has fallen out onto the ground multiple times when stepping out of the car, so can't comfortably carry this thing unless I get a better clip for it... already really like this knife especially for the price, just the dang clip sucks.

I only have a sample size of one so figured I'd ask
    Like you, I really like the knife save for the pocket clip. I haven't had any real issues with it working out of my pocket, but I did remove it once to re-bend as it had become a bit sloppy from clipping and unclipping it in my pocket.

The edge from the factory is certainly workable, but I always like to put my own edge on a knife. It sharpens quickly and holds the new edge well.

This knife won't replace my normal EDC (ZT 0450) any time soon, but it will be going to my granddaughter when she's old enough to carry a pocket knife.

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    Like you, I really like the knife save for the pocket clip. I haven't had any real issues with it working out of my pocket, but I did remove it once to re-bend as it had become a bit sloppy from clipping and unclipping it in my pocket.

The edge from the factory is certainly workable, but I always like to put my own edge on a knife. It sharpens quickly and holds the new edge well.

This knife won't replace my normal EDC (ZT 0450) any time soon, but it will be going to my granddaughter when she's old enough to carry a pocket knife.
    Thanks! I'll probably order an aftermarket clip. It'll certainly be an excellent and useful gift to your granddaughter.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I second AZ Ds pick. Buck 110, American made, been around forever, pick one up anywhere, wicked sharp, iconic, feels good in the hand.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    My first knife was a hand me down from my Dad. It was an old, beat up Case Trapper with the scale missing off one side.
    I loved that knife and handed it down to my brother after Dad passed, and my brother handed it down to his son.
    It doesn't have to be anything fancy or new, it just has to be from you and I'm sure it'll be treasured longer than you'd imagine.

Top Bottom