• ...and so much more!
  • techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    After saying nighttime prayers with my middle kid (5 year old), I tell her that I need to explain something to her. She says, "Sure." I tell her I need to explain why we do not let her play with the kids across the street. (The ones that live in the section 8 house that has nearly destroyed our neighborhood.)

Not sure how to explain that I won't let her play with those kids because their parents are wannabe gangsta thug scum and the kids are growing up to be just like them, so I went with the simple language:

"Honey, the reason you are not allowed to play with those kids is because their parents are making bad choices and have bad rules." I say.

"I know," she replies in that kid like way that means she has no idea what I mean. So I try again:

"Honey those kids are learning to do things that are not safe or good and I do not want them to rub off on you."

Again she says quickly, "I know."

Ok, I go for the simple one she should get, "It's just not safe to be around them or be near their home. And it has nothing to do with their race or religion, it's just their bad decisions."

Now my daughter is getting frustrated with me and says, "Abba I know that!"

Well, wether she knows or not, I figure we are done.

I kiss her hoping she will get some of what I said and go to leave.

"Abba," she says to me, "you know how I already knew all that?"

I ask her how.

"Because of the police car I watched over there 10 minutes ago while I was getting my room clean. I think they were in alot of trouble!"

Lesson: Sometimes they get alot more than we give them credit for.

karlsgunbunker

Expert
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2008
    Amen!

You remember the comercial when the first LED TV's came out.
    They showed a couple with the big flat tv trying it out in different spots all over the house. They settle with it over the bed.

My oldest 4 or 5 at the time watches the commercial and looks at me and the wife and say's "Where did they Plug it In".

Just remember they are watching and absorbing everything.

Pete-FWA

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Techres, I like your explanation about their bad choices and bad rules. That is excellent language for children to understand and apply.

Good for all who teach their children right from wrong.

Top Bottom