• ...and so much more!
  • TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I tried it twice ... the first and last time. Thought I'd save a few bucks, but the problem I was having with the stock Ruger charging handle was the size and grippyness. The Kidd charging handle with the rubber inserts corrected all that. When I finally broke down and ordered the Kidd charging handle, I also picked up their guide rod and spring set. I hadn't noticed any grittiness with the Ruger guide rod and spring, but the OEM set-up is an assembled unit. So rather than try to break that down, I just picked up the Kidd parts.

Since that experiment, I've only replaced the charging handle, guide rod and springs with Kidd parts on my 10/22's. I don't splurge on the Kidd bolt anymore. I just polish the hell out of the Ruger bolt and all has been good (and a lot less expensive) for me.

You didn't ask, but I also use the Kidd drop in trigger job kit, the pull weight tuning springs, the magazine release lever, bolt buffer, and auto bolt release with all my 10/22's.

A word of caution ... DO NOT toss away or misplace any of your original parts. You WILL NOT get your money back on the Kidd parts if you go to sell your rifle. I always swap out any Kidd parts with the OEM parts when I sell a 10/22. Invariably, I pick up another 10/22 then install the Kidd parts in that rifle.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Apologize for the thread drift, but TJ, I am finally getting around to working on that stock you hooked me up with. I'm installing a pillar, cutting the snout off and reshaping it. I'm not planning on bedding the action.

I finally got my Brimstone trigger job corrected (I think), so I'm happy with that aspect and I have an okay 2-7X power scope on it.

I'm going back and forth whether I should spring for a decent Feddersen 17" Heavy Contour barrel for it or just stick with the factory.

In full disclosure, part of the reason for considering buying one is because it would look better than the factory.

What do you think? Buy it? Save the money?

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Apologize for the thread drift, but TJ, I am finally getting around to working on that stock you hooked me up with. I'm installing a pillar, cutting the snout off and reshaping it. I'm not planning on bedding the action.

I finally got my Brimstone trigger job corrected (I think), so I'm happy with that aspect and I have an okay 2-7X power scope on it.

I'm going back and forth whether I should spring for a decent Feddersen 17" Heavy Contour barrel for it or just stick with the factory.

In full disclosure, part of the reason for considering buying one is because it would look better than the factory.

If you have the disposable income, buy it. Everybody knows that a good looking rifle will shoot better.

Truth be told, anytime that I've second guessed myself about a firearm modification, I end up running it through my mind over and over until I finally get the modification done. Saves me a lot of lost sleep if I just make the modifications in the first place.

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County

It's hard to argue about getting a good aftermarket barrel for a 10/22. The chamber, rifling, crown, tenon-to-receiver fit, and overall rigidity are almost always better than OEM. If you can swing it, do it.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I may just pull the trigger and do what you did. Did you notice an improvement in reliability with your KIDD upgrades?
    Reliability with a 10/22 is super high with just the factory set-up. Adding the Kidd parts, especially the trigger parts, just made the rifle easier and more enjoyable to shoot.

Be careful with the adjustments on the Kidd trigger. You can get it to a point that the safety won't properly engage. Nothing to fret over as you just need to turn a few set screws to reengage the safety ... just something to be aware of.

Using the Kidd bolt buffer does quiet down the normal click clack of the rifle, and using the charging handle, guide rod and springs does make working the bolt a bit smoother.

The auto bolt release is a nice feature if you don't want to take the time to learn how to manipulate the Ruger bolt release. You will be able to activate the auto bolt release and drop the bolt with a sharp blow to the butt of the rifle. Again, nothing to fret over, just something to be aware of.

The extended magazine release is by far and away my favorite Kidd modification. Just a flick of the finger and you're ready to install a new magazine.

If you have the disposable income, I say go for the Kidd parts.

Top Bottom