• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Declared a firearm at both Indianapolis and Pensacola international airports. Locked case inside another suitcase. Locks definitely not TSA locks. I opened that case for no one.

Maybe it’s my gray beard, maybe it’s because I answered all the questions satisfactorily. Honestly it was not a big deal.

fjw2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2016
    Close to a friend
    SouthWest
    My wife and I have always done well with Southwest. Recently, we flew American Airlines.(Not our first choice but long story) Did not involve any firearm declarations but they still suck in my opinion. Someday I will get my Real ID(Gold Star) in case air flight is necessary in the future. Southwest availability will definitely be a requirement in those arrangements.

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    335   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    I've checked handguns, rifles and full-auto weapons on Southwest, never had an issue. TSA checks the high-dollar stuff separately - you go into a private room and they take an inventory and you watch it get scanned and accepted. It always arrived though, wrapped in tape and locked up from my drop-off.

FYI, always buy more lock than you think you'll need, they'll ask you to use them.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    You have to declare an unloaded firearm is secured in its own case or a locked outer case.
    I hope you did that.
    It is up to the Airlines to put the declaration in with it, saying it is unloaded.
    Your bag can be pulled at anytime going through the security and transportation system, fortunately for you and hundreds of other flyers each day that follow the rules, you had no issues.
    Hope you enjoyed your trip.

DN40SW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    Avon
    Had same great uneventful experience on Southwest in November. Suitcase was opened in Indy while leaving but not on return trip from Ft Myers. Must have an honest face. LOL. If rules are followed, there are no problems.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Although not recently I've flown with a firearm in checked luggage both pre and post 9-11 with the same response. The only changed I've noticed recently is that after filling out the label that says "CONTAINS FIREARM" they make you put it IN the luggage containing said firearm instead of on the outside.

For some reason when there is a bright orange sticker on the outside of a suitcase that says "CONTAINS FIREARM" they experience a higher rate of firearms theft.

Whodathunkit?

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    I fly frequently and have never had a problem. Usually they ask me to step off to the side while my suit case is scanned. Once, when I was declaring the firearm, a ticket agent asked me to open the case.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Declared a firearm at both Indianapolis and Pensacola international airports. Locked case inside another suitcase. Locks definitely not TSA locks. I opened that case for no one.

Maybe it’s my gray beard, maybe it’s because I answered all the questions satisfactorily. Honestly it was not a big deal.
    I've never had to unlock/show my firearm when declaring it. It's always been a pretty smooth process for me.

For anyone reading along:

1. The suitcase lock can (and probably should) be a TSA-compliant lock
    2. The firearm case definitely should NOT be a TSA-compliant lock
    3. The firearm case must be hard-sided.
    4. The firearm must be unloaded. No rounds in the chamber, or in the magazine.
    5. Ammunition must be separate from the firearm.
    6. Travel only with ammunition in its original, factory packaging, ideally unopened.
    7. Never, under any circumstances, relenquish possession or control of the lock to the firearm case. If you are asked for the case to be unlocked, YOU must unlock it, and retain control of the key. (TSA seems to be very inconsistent about this, to the point of sometimes putting passengers in the position of violating federal statute, by demanding to be given the key, rather than having the passenger unlock the case.) But giving anyone else the key is a violation of the applicable federal statute (§1540.111(b)(2)(iv): "The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.")

This is the federal statute:

§1540.111 Carriage of weapons, explosives, and incendiaries by individuals.​

(a) On an individual's person or accessible property—prohibitions. Except as provided in paragraph (b) of this section, an individual may not have a weapon, explosive, or incendiary, on or about the individual's person or accessible property—

(1) When performance has begun of the inspection of the individual's person or accessible property before entering a sterile area, or before boarding an aircraft for which screening is conducted under this subchapter;

(2) When the individual is entering or in a sterile area; or

(3) When the individual is attempting to board or onboard an aircraft for which screening is conducted under §§1544.201, 1546.201, or 1562.23 of this chapter.

(b) On an individual's person or accessible property—permitted carriage of a weapon. Paragraph (a) of this section does not apply as to carriage of firearms and other weapons if the individual is one of the following:

(1) Law enforcement personnel required to carry a firearm or other weapons while in the performance of law enforcement duty at the airport.

(2) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in accordance with §§1544.219, 1544.221, 1544.223, 1546.211, or subpart B of part 1562 of this chapter.

(3) An individual authorized to carry a weapon in a sterile area under a security program.

(c) In checked baggage. A passenger may not transport or offer for transport in checked baggage or in baggage carried in an inaccessible cargo hold under §1562.23 of this chapter:

(1) Any loaded firearm(s).

(2) Any unloaded firearm(s) unless—

(i) The passenger declares to the aircraft operator, either orally or in writing, before checking the baggage, that the passenger has a firearm in his or her bag and that it is unloaded;

(ii) The firearm is unloaded;

(iii) The firearm is carried in a hard-sided container; and

(iv) The container in which it is carried is locked, and only the passenger retains the key or combination.

(3) Any unauthorized explosive or incendiary.

(d) Ammunition. This section does not prohibit the carriage of ammunition in checked baggage or in the same container as a firearm. Title 49 CFR part 175 provides additional requirements governing carriage of ammunition on aircraft.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    5. Ammunition must be separate from the firearm.

I find this interesting. I always place the ammo in a plastic reloading case with a Velcro strap around it. It then goes in the hard sided case with the handguns. I have never had anyone question this.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    The main point is that ammunition can't be in the chamber or in a magazine stored with the firearm. Ammo in a separate container can be in the same, locked case as the firearm. The "original factory packaging" is not a statutory requirement, but generally strongly recommended.

Joniki

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NE Indiana
    The main point is that ammunition can't be in the chamber or in a magazine stored with the firearm. Ammo in a separate container can be in the same, locked case as the firearm. The "original factory packaging" is not a statutory requirement, but generally strongly recommended.
    #4 takes care of that.

One of the major airlines now limits you to one firearm.

hpclayto

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   1
    Nov 8, 2008
    I’ve flown all the major airlines with rifles and pistols dozens of times. Never once had an issue. Whether or not they open it up and look at it depends on the airport. Some have you stay with it for TSA to open it up, some don’t. It used to come out with the rest of the luggage on the turnstile but starting a couple of years ago they pull them and take them to the BSO. YMMV.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out

There was a time not so long ago when carrying a firearm on a flight was just fine.

Top Bottom