• ...and so much more!
  • MinuteManMike

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 28, 2008
    Lawrence, IN
    I had a very cool folder w/ the Wave opening and I cannot find it. No idea where I actually had it last and it had fallen out of my pocket a few times. I used the clip to hold it in place for quick deployment. And out of eyesight from others, I would practice my draw strokes randomly out and about. But now it's gone.

I was just curious what others do to retain their knives walking about and living. I am hesitant to pocket another, newer, more expensive cool knife I have for fear of losing that too.

Anyone know of something I can do to lessen my loss risk?

Maybe there are replacement clips with built in lanyard holes built in?

2A-Hoosier23

ammo fiend
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 16, 2018
    Lawrence
    I think deep-carry pocket clips are your friend here. Many aftermarket options for popular knives are available for reasonable prices.
    When pocket clips lose tension, take them off and re-bend them tighter.
    As far as lanyard holes you might be able to find clips with them but I see a lot of knives with built in lanyard holes in the grips.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Get a bigger/heavier knife.
    You will notice if it's on in your pocket.

DSCF0656.jpg

927da5acd036b16e5de6e82884c7d229.jpg

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I had a kershaw that I lost years ago. Since then I have carried a spyderco that has a longer and snugger clip and no problem.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    I’ve carried the same Kershaw stainless folder for years now. I thought I lost it once and bought another one, then I found the original the next day. This thing is almost indestructible! I like some of the newer automatics but I’m sorta cheap when it comes to knives and this Kershaw has been such a good knife for me. I would like a Randall #14 someday but I should’ve bought one twenty years ago!!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I had a kershaw that I lost years ago. Since then I have carried a spyderco that has a longer and snugger clip and no problem.
    That's been the key for me...a good, sturdy clip. Spyderco and Benchmade clips are the two clip designs I trust the most, although there are others that are decent.

When I say "clip design", this includes the surface texture of the scale opposing the clip. The scale needs some texture for the clip to grip properly. The clip also must be made of a good springy-type material, with a wide surface area preferably. Lastly, the clip must allow the knife to rest deeply in pocket. Kershaw, for example, makes some great knives, but I shy away from most of them...due to smooth/polished scales with no grip (which makes the clip not retain that well imo).

Here's a good example (Benchmade 556-1):
    1622251986117.png

Here's another decent example (Spyderco Paramilitary 2):
    1622252145343.png

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    We are men who carry knives and other miscellaneous ****, once ya come to terms with the "**** happens" portion of this dilemma, put a price cap on the value of what you're willing to lose and march on.
    I personally set about a $40 limit on a daily carry blade and have involuntarily donated more than I care to admit, mostly Kershaws, QSP Penguins and Ontario Rats. I like to tell myself someone who needed it, found it.
    Disregard advise of accepting a loss when it pertains to firearms, children, paychecks and various Milton-Bradley board games...............................just to be safe, disregard everything I say, all the time.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    My most useful and most used knife is a cheap twenty year old Czech lock blade, stainless with textured black plastic scales. Indestructible and used for everything.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    I have a Benchmade in its own sheathe that I carry daily, but it was definitely looser than I trusted when I got it. I ended up wrapping it in a fair length of paracord which provides enough friction and bulk against the clip that I haven’t had any retention issues in the several years I’ve had it.

That wouldn’t work too well for a folder, though. :)

TomO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2014
    Central
    That's been the key for me...a good, sturdy clip. Spyderco and Benchmade clips are the two clip designs I trust the most, although there are others that are decent.

When I say "clip design", this includes the surface texture of the scale opposing the clip. The scale needs some texture for the clip to grip properly. The clip also must be made of a good springy-type material, with a wide surface area preferably. Lastly, the clip must allow the knife to rest deeply in pocket. Kershaw, for example, makes some great knives, but I shy away from most of them...due to smooth/polished scales with no grip (which makes the clip not retain that well imo).

Here's a good example (Benchmade 556-1):
    View attachment 141806

Here's another decent example (Spyderco Paramilitary 2):
    View attachment 141807

I agree clip design makes a huge difference. My edc for the last couple years has been a benchmade bugout - the clip design works great for me: short, tight & deep carry. Doesn’t snag on things.

Overall weight is another factor for me - heavier knives move around more. The bugout is very light and stays put.

e06d596854f105bc892f4e45fa51e718.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom