• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Yes, but keep in mind that all railways are regulated by federal statues...and many of those individuals who enforce those statues consider federal statues to be applied as if it were all on federal property (lands)...so my recommendation would be to tread-lightly until fully informed as to a full understanding of the regulations, options, and possible consequences of one's choices!
    Of course I will tread lightly. Story time though.
    at the beginning of 2020 there was a employee who was fired for having his firearm in his vehicle. He went out to his car started it and realized he had forgotten something. So he ran back into the facility left his car running and the door to his car open with the gun sitting on his front seat. Its a big facility. It would take 5-10 minutes to run back inside to where he worked and back out to his vehicle. Anyway the Amtrak police saw his car and the fact the door was open and it was running went to investigate and saw the gun sitting on his seat.
    9 months later he got his job back and the way that happened is the union argued that it was his wife’s gun and she had left it in the car the day before and he was unaware. What surprised me about this defense is the fact that ignorance doesnt excuse you from breaking so called rules. I am also surprised the union did not use Indiana law to fight the case, if they would of it would of set a precedent. I asked them why they didnt and they responded with the employment board accepted the wife left gun in car I didnt know even though it was sitting on the seat excuse.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Of course I will tread lightly. Story time though.
    at the beginning of 2020 there was a employee who was fired for having his firearm in his vehicle. He went out to his car started it and realized he had forgotten something. So he ran back into the facility left his car running and the door to his car open with the gun sitting on his front seat. Its a big facility. It would take 5-10 minutes to run back inside to where he worked and back out to his vehicle. Anyway the Amtrak police saw his car and the fact the door was open and it was running went to investigate and saw the gun sitting on his seat.
    9 months later he got his job back and the way that happened is the union argued that it was his wife’s gun and she had left it in the car the day before and he was unaware. What surprised me about this defense is the fact that ignorance doesnt excuse you from breaking so called rules. I am also surprised the union did not use Indiana law to fight the case, if they would of it would of set a precedent. I asked them why they didnt and they responded with the employment board accepted the wife left gun in car I didnt know even though it was sitting on the seat excuse.

Wow...wish I could use the 'wife did it' excuse on a few occasions...
    But then again, I believe in being an adult and practicing using intelligence combined with common sense vs simply being stupid!
    I am a former biology / health / sex-ed teacher and Certified Athletic Trainer (I was at the school late 3-5 evenings per week) and was allowed to take a gun to school with me but had to leave it secured in the vehicle during the school day!
    Because I was at a high school, daily, I went the extra step of mounting a cable-secured, in-vehicle safe, under the rear seat of my truck where it was 'extra' secure rather than have it in a position where if a student did break into my vehicle, they would still be unable to get to my firearm without extensive and purposeful effort!
    Be safe!

Last edited:

Jeepster48439

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Marion County
    Not sure regarding Amtrak being federal property, so no opinion on that part.
    I do possess a GSA contractor badge and work frequently at Emmett J Bean (Ft Ben) and Mitton Capehart (Federal building downtown Indy) and a firearm inside a vehicle is ILLEGAL.
    Not frowned upon, not a no-no but a your gonna lose your GSA security clearance and attorney fees are in your near future.
    Proceed with caution and good luck.
    Is Emmett J Bean also known as DFAS?

ashby koss

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 24, 2013
    Connersville
    I do believe as mentioned they must have a secured parking lot and have security of some kind in staff.

easier to put a mini safe under seat. Not seen, not reported.

Notalentbum

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 12, 2013
    Indy westside
    Maybe I’m wrong but whether the parking lot is controlled or not has no bearing. Much like post office. Even dropping a letter at the drive thru at the PO is breaking the law on having a firearm on the property.
    Not that I agree with it in the least!

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My facility is union and has a don't ask / don't tell anyone what is in your personally owned vehicle. Guns in company cars is a definite fired on the spot offense. They do search anything beyond the gate / turnstiles.

Top Bottom