• ...and so much more!
  • 7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Hello,

Before talking with a lawyer I wanted to see what the community has to say here. I work at Amtrak which ive been informed is technically federal property. They have told us that we cannot have firearms in our vehicles even if we keep them locked up in something like an under seat lock box.

This doesnt sound legal to me. Ive been to several federal properties that tell you to keep it in your vehicle if you want to enter the facility. I understand if you leave it laying in plain view on a seat or something.

I dont see how anybody can dictate what you keep in your property as long as you are legally able to have it.
    Appreciate any information you guys can give me!

hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    There are some exceptions, but here's information related to the Indiana law recently passed.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Not sure regarding Amtrak being federal property, so no opinion on that part.
    I do possess a GSA contractor badge and work frequently at Emmett J Bean (Ft Ben) and Mitton Capehart (Federal building downtown Indy) and a firearm inside a vehicle is ILLEGAL.
    Not frowned upon, not a no-no but a your gonna lose your GSA security clearance and attorney fees are in your near future.
    Proceed with caution and good luck.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Not sure regarding Amtrak being federal property, so no opinion on that part.
    I do possess a GSA contractor badge and work frequently at Emmett J Bean (Ft Ben) and Mitton Capehart (Federal building downtown Indy) and a firearm inside a vehicle is ILLEGAL.
    Not frowned upon, not a no-no but a your gonna lose your GSA security clearance and attorney fees are in your near future.
    Proceed with caution and good luck.
    Where are you parked at those places? In a parking lot that anyone can get in or a private parking area?

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Do you have to show a badge or present any kind of identification to park in those parking lots?
    Ft Ben, yes (and vehicle searched) and no. Depends on access required.
    Capehart, yes and vehicle searched.
    Again, no opinion on your Amtrak location, but 100% sure on locations I've mentioned.
    Best to ask that attorney ya mentioned in your OP.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Ft Ben, yes (and vehicle searched) and no. Depends on access required.
    Capehart, yes and vehicle searched.
    Again, no opinion on your Amtrak location, but 100% sure on locations I've mentioned.
    Best to ask that attorney ya mentioned in your OP.
    What kind of attorney would be best to contact? Amtrak’s parking area is left open. Anyone can pull into and park. Youre only required to show ID as you enter the facility from the parking lot. Vehicles are never searched not even contractor or delivery vehicles when coming into the facility.

My grandfather was murdered by a disgruntled employee back in the late 70’s in his office. So i understand why they have the rule but i still dont support it.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    No suggestion for what type of attorney to contact.
    The places I referenced told me no, and no it is.
    I carry everywhere else, and understand your desire to protect yourself. If they're correct regarding legality, and you get caught, you'll need not wonder where you can carry a firearm legally ever again.
    Wish I could be more helpful.
    Good luck.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    No suggestion for what type of attorney to contact.
    The places I referenced told me no, and no it is.
    I carry everywhere else, and understand your desire to protect yourself. If they're correct regarding legality, and you get caught, you'll need not wonder where you can carry a firearm legally ever again.
    Wish I could be more helpful.
    Good luck.
    Thats why I am trying to find an answer before i do. Luckily i can park right on the other side of the street until i find out for sure.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    The key here, as jerrob clearly conveyed, is who OWNS the parking area, not whether or not the parking area is fenced. The penalty can be severe, and wishing that it were otherwise will not make it so. If parking across the street on non-federal property is an option, that's the simplest way to go.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    The key here, as jerrob conveyed, is who OWNS the parking area, not whether or not the parking area is fenced. If parking across the street on non-federal property is an option, that's the simplest way to go.
    Amtrak owns the parking lot for sure but while it is owned by the federal government us code says this 49 U.S.C. § 24301(a) specifies that Amtrak is not a federal department, agency, or instrumentality.

LP1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 8, 2010
    Friday Town
    Amtrak owns the parking lot for sure but while it is owned by the federal government us code says this 49 U.S.C. § 24301(a) specifies that Amtrak is not a federal department, agency, or instrumentality.
    If you're confident in that interpretation (I'm not saying you're wrong, but I think it's gray) and are willing to spend money on legal fees if it becomes necessary, then by all means go for it.

7hatGuy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 12, 2020
    Fairland
    Do you feel the need to carry to and from work? If yes is your answer, talk to your union steward first then a lawyer. That is why we pay union dues.
    The unions unofficial position is to keep it out of sight and the vehicle locked up. They are not going to push the issue until something happens that or until I can find something concrete like from a lawyer.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Yes, but keep in mind that all railways are regulated by federal statues...and many of those individuals who enforce those statues consider federal statues to be applied as if it were all on federal property (lands)...so my recommendation would be to tread-lightly until fully informed as to a full understanding of the regulations, options, and possible consequences of one's choices!

Top Bottom