• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    A friend of mine said that he had pheasant hunted at Kankakee Sands. I have driven past that place numerous times and drooled at all the grass cover that has to hold 10,000,000 ring necks. At least it does in my dreams.

I have looked in the past and recently about hunting there and can not find one mention of it.

Does anyone know if that is correct and if so, what sort of rules do they have? I know Willow Slough next door has reserve hunts and check in hunts, so maybe like that?

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    You got my interest peaked, so I did a search. It looks like it is owned by The Nature Conservancy, and hunting is allowed. Found this from the Field Museum(opens a PDF): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...a%20Info.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3_VP-yiqqHs4SK-XQHOMyC

Also found a short mention in an article from Pheasants Forever: https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Bl...r/Indiana-Pheasant-Hunting-Forecast-2019.aspx

I don't have any idea who to contact, need to do more searching. I would think someone at Willow Slough could possibly have more info on hunting. Thanks for the heads-up.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    You got my interest peaked, so I did a search. It looks like it is owned by The Nature Conservancy, and hunting is allowed. Found this from the Field Museum(opens a PDF): https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...a%20Info.pdf&usg=AOvVaw3_VP-yiqqHs4SK-XQHOMyC

Also found a short mention in an article from Pheasants Forever: https://www.pheasantsforever.org/Bl...r/Indiana-Pheasant-Hunting-Forecast-2019.aspx

I don't have any idea who to contact, need to do more searching. I would think someone at Willow Slough could possibly have more info on hunting. Thanks for the heads-up.

Those were the only two things I could find as well. Friday I'm pheasant hunting with the guy who told me about it. I'm going to try to get the lo down.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Will be interested in what you learn.

Where are you bird hunting Friday? (Good luck!)

Iroquois Co. Illinois - across from Benton and Newton Counties. My boys up there have been giving me reports of lots of birds this year.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Awesome.... Bird hunting is a TON of fun!

Do you have a dog and, assuming yes, what kind?

I do have a dog - Braque Francais type Pyrenees (Smaller French Pointer, see picture).

We had three dogs out Friday, mine, and friends two German Short Hairs. They are younger dogs 3.5 and 2 yrs. Mine is 11 and a good pheasant dog. We saw about 70 pheasants and most were cocks. My dog had some terrific points and out performed the two kids.

I think we bagged 5 or 6 birds and easily could have gotten more but none of us are meat hunting pheasants, although I like to have a couple in the freezer. Hell of a good day and going out again next Friday.

On Kankakee. My friend said that you sign in at Willow Slough and get a place to hunt. He'd done it but said the grass is 7-8 feet tall and think as thieves. Really hard hunting. I might scout around that place and look at the different fields to see if any are better than others. I'm too old to do 7 foot tall grass.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    French Pointer in front

10865764_10204681322465607_8515016748168721330_o.jpg

Field King

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    My reply is late for this years Pheasant season but Willow Slough used to conduct a draw only in certain days for the Kankakee Sands. Only so many get to hunt it. I have got drawn once in 3 try’s 4 or 5 years ago! I confirm super tall grass most areas!

Top Bottom