• Which neck knife?

• Total voters

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    I'm in the market for a neck knife, and it seems like the two most popular models are the Ka-Bar Becker Necker and the RAT Izula. I want this knife primarily for camping. I'm also going to be going on a canoe trip in Canada this summer, and I thought a neck knife would be useful on that trip.

I can order the Necker from Amazon, shipped for $41.74. The description on Amazon says that the knife is made from 1095 cro-van steel. From the RAT cutlery thread in the group buy section, I can get a RAT Izula for $46. From the RAT website, I see that the Izula is made from 1095 carbon steel (is this the same steel as the Necker?).

Based on this information it's a toss up for me, so I thought I'd throw it out to the group for an opinion. Take the poll, and let me know why you chose what you did. I'll leave an "Other" option for anyone who has a better suggestion that's close to the same price.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    I'm seeing $34.95 from Amazon with free shipping, and found a few on ebay before the holidays for $29 each, free shipping, and bought 6.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    I have an Izula and love it. I can't speak for the Becker.

RAT is an American company who trains military and others in survival.

I like their blades, the people who make them and their customer service, which is a lifetime (follows the knife, not the buyer) warranty.

They have a great community on bladeforums, which gives away knives all the time.

My Izula is part of my EDC:

edct.jpg

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i am going to go with the rat for sure. its a great knife. and with a warranty like theirs you can't ask for much more.

btw nice wrap on that hickman.

and ps again some of you guys take dang good pics. i been trying to post a pic of my newest blades for 2 days now since i got my camera back and they all look horrible lol. maybe tonight i will figure out which setting i need to be on

Bruenor

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2008
    Pendleton
    Well, the poll was going for Izula, but I decided on the Necker. 6birds gave me a great deal on one he had for $29 brand new in the box. For that price, I couldn't pass it up. Of course, I may up owning an Izula down the road as well, but for now the Necker fits everything that I need it for.

Reps for 6birds for passing a great deal on to another member of the forum. He's an outstanding guy.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Ka-Bar is also an American company and Ethan Becker is definitely a good American! :D I've had some of the best customer service I've ever experienced due to my Becker Necker. I got email and telephone calls directly from Ethan Becker to discuss my concerns.

I think RAT and Jeff Randall would be equally accommodating.

Re: the steels ... 1095 and 1095 Cro-Van are not the same. The latter is 1095 as the base carbon steel, but with chromium and vanadium added to get the properties desired by Mr. Becker and the Ka-Bar engineers. If I had to pick between the two, I'd choose the plain 1095. One reason is because I value sharpness over some other characteristics, and I have a better understanding of how to get better results from plain 1095.

Ultimately, they're both great knives. If you can't decide, get both.

Hemingway

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    The word on the street is that you all will be happy. I understand there will be a new knife coming out where Jeff and Ethan will collaborate and combine the Izula and the Becker Necker (something like the handle from one and the blade from the other).

cholmstr

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   1
    Mar 15, 2010
    Greendale, IN
    I'am not familiar with the Izula but from what i've seen and researched it looks solide, gotta love the Becker Necker though, both look like great blades

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Well, the poll was going for Izula, but I decided on the Necker. 6birds gave me a great deal on one he had for $29 brand new in the box. For that price, I couldn't pass it up. Of course, I may up owning an Izula down the road as well, but for now the Necker fits everything that I need it for.

So, have you cut yourself yet? :):

rhart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2009
    Avon
    I dont know much about neck knives but I thought you would want to know one thing. I ordered a knife from KABAR a year or so ago and nearly dropped it on my foot when I got it and read the MADE IN KOREA stamped on it. It was like the big camp/machete knife.
    Canada canoeing???? Thats my stomping grounds. Quetico? Where to??????
    Tax and shipping for Indianapolis, IN 46203 - Change Change location:

Please enter a location

1. $41.56 new

Amazon.com

4,204 seller ratings

Ka-Bar Black Cutlass Machete

Sold with a leather/cordura sheath.
      Add to Shopping List

Last edited:
    Top Bottom