Just Who Votes For Who In The Trump Era?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Into this thread pretty late, and wasn't planning to comment. But...
    So your contention is that our level headed representatives are the only thing protecting our gun rights? I'm not advocating we abolish the bill of rights or leave everything up to the 51%

I honestly dont even have a proposal, I'm Just thinking out loud for a solution for the problem pointed out above. That you might disagree with your representative on 99% of the issues but they will vote against an AWB so you have to vote for them.

That's a problem, yes. I have to vote for Trump because he's the least likely to enact bat **** crazy gun laws. And that's really ****ty. Given the bumpstock nonsense, along with "take the guns first" red flag support, saying he's a pro-gun candidate is not saying a lot. The idea behind representative government is that it's not a simple majority whim of the mob. If it's up to 50% + 1, that ends up being a tyranny of the popular. That's the lunch room in high school. The playground in elementary. That's Tide pod eaters deciding whether or not to take away a fundamental human right. It's not that I trust elected officials. It's that I trust their nature, that they want to be reelected. That's not always good. But it worked in the aftermath of Sandy Hook. The Feinstein feminists were frothing at the mouth thinking they finally had the crisis they needed to pull it off and ban "assault rifles". If it were a straight up democratic referendum vote, we'd have lost a lot. The Republic, for all it's faults, was enough to save our rights.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Like the 4th lecture about what's wrong with pure democracy was enough, I understand the argument. The fact that there are representatives has only worked out in so far as the NRA has strong lobby powers.

The 2nd ammendment is what protects our rights, that our reps are barely sticking with it isn't something I want to be dependent on, especially if I think everything else they stand for sucks.

Hypothetically if Bernie were the one defending gun rights and trump was against, how many would go to Bernie?

jamil

code ho
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The 2nd amendment is 5 justice stevens away from having zero meaning. Seriously. Direct democracy would be better? How? We’re close to tyranny by mob as it is.

Sanders being the savior of the 2A? Wow. Rock and hard place. The communist—he is one—vs gun rights? If Trump were anti-gun that would make an easier choice if the opponent were sane. But if your scenario is the choice, maybe it’s bunker in the mountains time because what’s left of what the Founders created is ****ed.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Good news then.

It is to me, not so much to Cocaine Mitch and his globalist swampers...

This is exactly why Paul Ryan and nearly 40 representatives retired rather than represent the interests of the middle class and working people. (And by extension those retirements gave the Dems a strategic advantage and resulted in a Pelosi speakership.)

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    This article verifies my OP that there is a shift, and it is sizeable.

Ff
    Good news then.
    Only so long as we recover control of who counts the votes and when

Election security and transparency will be important to get done in every state where it is possible. We need to destroy the idea that proving you are who you say you are and voting in person is somehow voter suppression. You don't redesign the whole system just to accommodate the outliers

Top Bottom