• ...and so much more!
  • wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Around the end of last year I got the itch for a centerfire bolt gun. After looking at pricing and availability for ammo, I decided to go 308 instead of another caliber. I found out that there seems to be a real scarcity for 308 rifles. After doing some research, I had settled on either a Bergara B-14 HMR or a Tikka T3x CTR, or Varmint. Unfortunately, I couldn't find either in stock in that caliber anywhere. After weeks of trying to find something, I decided to go with a Bergara B-14 Timber. I ordered from the only place I could find it, at the time, Wholesalehunter.com. I immediately got an email saying that they were backed up and it would take a couple of weeks to process and longer to ship. As the weather sucked and I didn't plan to go shooting with it soon, it wasn't an issue. 2 weeks later I got an email saying the order was finally at the warehouse for processing and 2 days later my CC was charged. The next day, they sent me an email saying my order status had changed to backordered :(

So I got the money back on my credit card and luckily found the rifle in stock elsewhere. Ordered it and while it took a while, I finally received it on Thursday. Got it all setup and ready to shoot later today, but unfortunately will need to rethink my scope setup, or get an adjustable cheek rest. Taking it out today to break in the barrel and see what I think and then will see what I need to do to get the scope/cheek situation corrected.

Anyway, a couple of pics:

erd6uIy.jpg

h7UTXa7.jpg

wingrider1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    That sure is a great looking rifle WT. Judging by the stock design, I'm surprised the cheek isn't high enough for you. You would think the monte carlo stock design would have been high enough. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Good luck today.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thank you both. So far I'm really liking it and I'm hoping to love it more after the range trip today.

That sure is a great looking rifle WT. Judging by the stock design, I'm surprised the cheek isn't high enough for you. You would think the monte carlo stock design would have been high enough. Hope it shoots as good as it looks. Good luck today.

I was surprised as well. Both my Anschutz .22 and my Ruger American Rimfire Target both have monte carlo style stocks that work out perfectly with medium height rings, but this one is way higher. Even with low rings on the rail I believe it would be too high. I may look at trying low or medium height rings directly on the receiver, but so far no place local has any in stock. I'm wary of getting anything from Amazon as I'd have to pay a restock to return them unless there's an issue with the part (other than being too high or low).

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Thank you both. So far I'm really liking it and I'm hoping to love it more after the range trip today.

I was surprised as well. Both my Anschutz .22 and my Ruger American Rimfire Target both have monte carlo style stocks that work out perfectly with medium height rings, but this one is way higher. Even with low rings on the rail I believe it would be too high. I may look at trying low or medium height rings directly on the receiver, but so far no place local has any in stock. I'm wary of getting anything from Amazon as I'd have to pay a restock to return them unless there's an issue with the part (other than being too high or low).
    I've never had a problem or restocking fee returning to amazon, I just take them and the return email to Kohls and they take it off my hands.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Just got back from the range. Very nice trip. I'm hoping the barrel just needs broke in as the first 40 rounds resulted in some pretty large groupings. Everything seems to be mounted securely, but the groups were disappointing. Of course, 88 said that it took 40 - 50 rounds before his Tikka settled down and it's shooting very nice groups now. I thought it was me at first, but I shot a decent sub MOA group with 88's Tikka, so I'm thinking I just need more rounds downrange.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Just got back from the range. Very nice trip. I'm hoping the barrel just needs broke in as the first 40 rounds resulted in some pretty large groupings. Everything seems to be mounted securely, but the groups were disappointing. Of course, 88 said that it took 40 - 50 rounds before his Tikka settled down and it's shooting very nice groups now. I thought it was me at first, but I shot a decent sub MOA group with 88's Tikka, so I'm thinking I just need more rounds downrange.
    It's you. :D

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Nice looking rifle!
    Your groups could be any number of things. Not getting a good cheek weld sure doesn't help, might be you just need to get used to it, and then again, your rifle may just not like the ammo you were using. What kind of ammo were you using and what size groups were they?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Thanks. Yes, it's definitely a nice looking rifle. The groups were probably 2 - 3", no matter who was shooting it. I was using Norma Tactical 150gr, Australian Outback 168gr and Federal Gold Medal 175gr. If it had just been me, I would think I was the culprit, but 2 other people shot the rifle and their groups weren't much better. Then I shot a friend's Tikka and shot a nice sub MOA group. So, like I said, pretty sure that the 40 rounds downrange so far weren't enough to break in the barrel. At least that's my hope. We'll see what happens after another 40 rounds or so have been shot.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    Looks nice
    Are you just shooting it or do you have a break-in routine ?
    Some people like to shot then swab the barrel, some like to shoot a few then swab, and some like to shoot till its dirty

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I had started using the break-in recommended in the owners manual. I cleaned the barrel and receiver prior to shooting, then cleaned after every round for the first 5 shots. After that I was supposed to clean it after every 10 rounds for the next 50, but after discussing this with a buddy at the range I decided not to do that. I put about 30 more rounds downrange and took it home and cleaned it. Will just put rounds through it and clean it after every range trip.

Top Bottom