• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    My "Good Old Days" may be a bit different from some here. My good memories are of me and my buddy all through high school trapping all winter and skinning, scraping and stretching furs for a local farmer/ fur buyer. He was old school. ALWAYS treated us fair but expected you to work. He was a bachelor and still lived on the farm and in the farm house he was born on. He and his widow sister lived in the house. She would make the evening meal (big farm meal meat and potatoes) to feed all of us workers in the fur house. We always washed up at the old pump behind the barn before we went into the house to eat. When you went in you addressed his sister as Ma'am, then you took off your hat (no hats allowed at the table) and elbows off the table. When you got done eating you always showed his sister the proper respect with a "thank you". Then went back to skinning until about 9-9:30 PM.He sold dog food as well and semi trucks loaded with feed bags would come in. He would come in the back where us guys were skinning and say got "got some feed in boys, lets get it unloaded" When we were done. he would buy is all a pop from his pop machine. That was a big deal to us. On Friday nights he would pay us for the week from a old cigar box he kept in a filing cabinet.Unlike some kids today. We would never have dreamed of wronging him. Besides, if we did our dads had no problem taking a belt to us...yes even as teenage boys. We respected him and his sister. They were just good, honest old farm folks. Again, he was fair and honest on pay. The farmer/fur buyer is gone now as is most of his family. The entire farm and house and the fur house are still there except another family bought it and they sell Carhartts and Tac from the fur house now no fur anymore, but the fur stretcher hooks still are in the ceiling. These new folks love to hear our stories of when it was a busy fur house. Wish I would have taken pictures but as a kid I thought it would always be there. Went in the Army after high school and when I came back after the Army it was all over. Man were those good times/years. Didn't realize it then.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    My experience is they have hunt season marked on their calendars.... and when that date arrives they become a bit less conspicuous ....

LOL
    iu

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    I miss the days when jeans had more than 5 belt loops.

I mean who decided that you only needed ONE in the back, a plumber?

Top Bottom