• ...and so much more!
  • Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Always remember my Dad one day when I was a kid. I was pissing and moaning about something and he grabbed me, shook me, and said "Arise to the occasion!!".

Great man and model. Lived the way he wanted you to be. Honest, caring, hardworking.

Don
    Same here. Complaining I was bored. Remember dad telling me one day you will wish there were more than 24 hours in a day. Man was he right.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Always remember my Dad one day when I was a kid. I was pissing and moaning about something and he grabbed me, shook me, and said "Arise to the occasion!!".

Great man and model. Lived the way he wanted you to be. Honest, caring, hardworking.

Don
    I learned to never complain of boredom around my peoples. It was basically you saying I am ready for the next chore.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    When we were moving to Indiana we created an extensive list of what we wanted on our property... acreage, water, one level living, outbuildings, etc. One item that was near the top was a shooting range.
    I am very happy to have the ability to walk out back and shoot as much. Or as little as I want.
    I usually deer hunt from the roof of the house, but sometimes I just raise a window.

I can’t even fathom not living in the woods.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I can hunt from a stool in the upstairs bathroom.
    I can turkey hunt with my bare hands at my back door.
    I have deer that walk across the field between the 50 and 100 yard target while we are actively shooting.
    I can limit out on squirrel or dove within 50 feet of the porch.
    I have fish in the pond and the river.
    I have a 330 foot deep well.
    I have two barns and a house.
    I have a porch swing on the north, south and west side with two rocking chairs on the east.

If I go anywhere it is just to see people otherwise there is no reason to leave home.
    These are my grandson's good ol days...

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    I can hunt from a stool in the upstairs bathroom.
    I can turkey hunt with my bare hands at my back door.
    I have deer that walk across the field between the 50 and 100 yard target while we are actively shooting.
    I can limit out on squirrel or dove within 50 feet of the porch.
    I have fish in the pond and the river.
    I have a 330 foot deep well.
    I have two barns and a house.
    I have a porch swing on the north, south and west side with two rocking chairs on the east.

If I go anywhere it is just to see people otherwise there is no reason to leave home.
    These are my grandson's good ol days...
    If you were in heaven and not purgatory just think how much better it would be!

Hardscrable

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    S.E. of Southwest
    All the negative aside my time on that piece of land was and still is amazing in what I was exposed to. WhaT I learned. Every Bump bruise and foot up my ass was a life lesson. You worked or you did not eat. Even what play time we took had lessons attached to them.
    up at 4:00 AM. Chores. Lots and lots of them. Breakfast at 6:00-ish. Amazing breakfast. Hoosier style 3 meat eggs taters hand made biscuits. Hand churned butter. Apple butter and strawberry jams made in that kitchen. I have never had better food since.
    now sometimes dinner was a crap shoot depending on who made it. And possibly what we brought in from the woods be fields. You shot it and it went into something to eat.
    ever had possum stew. They wasted nothing. Ate everything.
    so damn few of these little Turd eaters today would last 10 minutes.
    God bless I miss it. I truly grew up in a great time.
    Similar to the way I grew up. Truly “Old McDonald’s Farm.” We raised chickens, hogs, cattle, milked cows, gathered eggs, butchered, hunted rabbits & squirrel, rode bike a mile to fish in the river, etc. I was the oldest so started “working” at about 5 years old.

5B1D377F-8EFA-4F22-B8D5-713279FD06B7.jpeg
    Mom holding me, Grandma holding my cousin. The Chevy on the left Dad would put in 1st gear, let out the clutch, and I would “drive” around pasture while he threw hay out the back for cows. The IH “H” pulling the baler was same way...sat me on the seat, put in 1st, jump off and go back to load bales while I” drove.” This was all at about 5 years of age. Each year after that as I aged added more work and responsibility. Milk cows & chore before school, repeat after school. Started working “full time” at 15 when Dad’s partner died. Never slowed down until retirement. Would not change 1 thing. More education, life lessons learned, work ethic developed by 18 than all of the current crop of man-bun wearing, elite, college “educated” know-it-all’s combined could ever hope to achieve. Every house had guns ( my Grandma slept with a WW II era bolt action .22 in bed beside her ), we knew the rules before we went to first grade, and never even heard of someone being shot. Camped along river for days with buddies...fished, hunted, skinny dipped. Man, what GREAT memories .

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Similar to the way I grew up. Truly “Old McDonald’s Farm.” We raised chickens, hogs, cattle, milked cows, gathered eggs, butchered, hunted rabbits & squirrel, rode bike a mile to fish in the river, etc. I was the oldest so started “working” at about 5 years old.

View attachment 159077
    Mom holding me, Grandma holding my cousin. The Chevy on the left Dad would put in 1st gear, let out the clutch, and I would “drive” around pasture while he threw hay out the back for cows. The IH “H” pulling the baler was same way...sat me on the seat, put in 1st, jump off and go back to load bales while I” drove.” This was all at about 5 years of age. Each year after that as I aged added more work and responsibility. Milk cows & chore before school, repeat after school. Started working “full time” at 15 when Dad’s partner died. Never slowed down until retirement. Would not change 1 thing. More education, life lessons learned, work ethic developed by 18 than all of the current crop of man-bun wearing, elite, college “educated” know-it-all’s combined could ever hope to achieve. Every house had guns ( my Grandma slept with a WW II era bolt action .22 in bed beside her ), we knew the rules before we went to first grade, and never even heard of someone being shot. Camped along river for days with buddies...fished, hunted, skinny dipped. Man, what GREAT memories .
    That pic could have been taken at our farm.
    similar equipment and surroundings.
    gramps had 2 old tractors 1 was Alice. Yes it was an Ac and the kids called it Alice. The other was a ill mannered. IH. A serious pain to get started but it was the work horse of the 2 pieces. Gramps would not spend a dime on wear parts like plus/ belts etc until they were useless. I swear he strained the engine oil through a baby diaper and put it back in the engine and gearbox.
    my uncle and I went to town one Saturday after chores and got 2 sets of plugs and some carb cleaning stuff. We spent Sunday morning running the tractors while they were all at church. Damned things fired right up. Amazing stuff.

warren5421

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 23, 2010
    Plainfield
    Dad only had 11 acres, southern Ohio, but the farmer he had worked for as a young man before WWII bordered dad's place. I started a trap line at 8 carring dad's Remington -Rand 1911 as he didn't have a .22. I started working the hay field at 8, stacking hay on the wagon and in the barn, a quarter/hour. Rode pones over more farmers ground than rich man could ever buy. As I got older I had places to shoot at from 10' to 1 mile. At night we ran coon with the dogs in the summer and in winter hunted the coon for the hide. That was the days. When dad died mom lived there for several years then moved into an assisted living, my baby sister got mom to sign over the place. She didn't have a pot to **** in so taxes took it and actioned it off. Last time back the house was falling down and brush was growing all over. Those were the days.

Magnum314

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Central Indiana
    When we were moving to Indiana we created an extensive list of what we wanted on our property... acreage, water, one level living, outbuildings, etc. One item that was near the top was a shooting range.
    I am very happy to have the ability to walk out back and shoot as much. Or as little as I want.
    Hard to argue with that! We are blessed for sure! And I have to mention...I now FLOCK to threads or posts with anything mentioning, the good "old days"! Shows my age...and I have earned all those years!

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Saw an original 1922 Montgomery Ward catalog yesterday. Looked at all the guns and ammo shipped to your door. Winchester model 92's for $24...the old days.

Don

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    those of you lamenting the losses of family property, for whatever reason: Let it be a lesson to you that you should prepare NOW, while you can, as to the disposition of your estate.

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    In the old days my dad would water the lawn with a hose in one hand and aerate the lawn with a 9mm pistol. Gotta love the good old days.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Got all the animal husbandry I wanted growing up. I'll eat what the forest provides and what we can grow, but that's more just keeping those skills sharp.

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Went to the store today. Crossing the road in front of us saw two squirrels, two deer and more turkeys than I could count in about half a mile. Had to slow down almost to a stop to keep from killing something. Gave me a smile when I needed one.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I ran into a group of 6 or 8 deer once - about 200 yards from my house - that were not at all skittish around vehicles. They just stood in the road and I drove between them as they lazily stepped out of the way as best I could.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I ran into a group of 6 or 8 deer once - about 200 yards from my house - that were not at all skittish around vehicles. They just stood in the road and I drove between them as they lazily stepped out of the way as best I could.

Let me guess.....outside of hunting season?

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I don't remember what time of year it was, and don't hunt. The neighbor did shoot one near there, along the same road, some time after. I don't remember if it was the same year or not.

My experience is they have hunt season marked on their calendars.... and when that date arrives they become a bit less conspicuous ....

LOL

Top Bottom