• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Funny I had nearly the exact opposite experience. About 2 years ago my grandmother passed away. She had 44 acres out in central Morgan county that were what was left of over 100 acres that had been passed down through our family for nearly 200 years. My grandmother had the original land deed dated around the mid1800s just after IN became a state. About 42 were wooded with her house sitting on 2 cleared. My brother and I grew up out there making trails, riding dirt bikes, playing paint ball and when we got old enough built a shooting range. After my grandmother died my uncle who lives in Maryland and has for nearly 30 years and cared nothing for the property his own mother's wishes for that matter as she had stated and even put in her trust that she wanted the land kept in the family, came back hired his own lawyer, forced my mom to sell everything stuck most of the money in his own pocket and left back for Maryland. I have one of the worst uncle's inthe world

If he took the money back home and used it to run for office on the Democratic ticket, then he goes straight to hell in the express lane, no questions asked...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    that was close to what I saw with the farm. Not much money in that side and they saw dollar bills. Fought over everything. Stole off the farm. I had to help my uncle retrieve both tractors from other family members one of which decided a trip to the emergency room was worth that tractor.
    idiots. I learned a. Lot through all of that and To this day they are all save a few dead to me.

I was raised German, my great grand mother only spoke broken English. We always fought over everything so this would be nothing new to us.

When my GG mother was getting 'frail' the whole famn damily decided to have a meeting to decide what will be the best way to provide for her care and the dispersal of property. She was in a bed in the front parlor (old farm house with two front doors, one into the parlor for guests and the other into the living room for family and friends) and watched everyone parade in but no one asked her what she thought. After the meeting was over they came into the parlor to announce their findings and one said, "Mom, we have decided that when you are gone..." and she immediately sat up in the bed and bellowed, "Und who is going any vare!"

That was as far as that family meeting went...

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    If he took the money back home and used it to run for office on the Democratic ticket, then he goes straight to hell in the express lane, no questions asked...
    I don't think he would run for office but I'm 100% sure he's a left lever puller.

Lt. Col. Michael DeZe*** US Army Retired. Pencil pusher, not a combat vet. The only service member I have 0 respect for.

The way he treated his own mother and sister I'm sure has confirmed his reservation in the firey pit.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    All the negative aside my time on that piece of land was and still is amazing in what I was exposed to. WhaT I learned. Every Bump bruise and foot up my ass was a life lesson. You worked or you did not eat. Even what play time we took had lessons attached to them.
    up at 4:00 AM. Chores. Lots and lots of them. Breakfast at 6:00-ish. Amazing breakfast. Hoosier style 3 meat eggs taters hand made biscuits. Hand churned butter. Apple butter and strawberry jams made in that kitchen. I have never had better food since.
    now sometimes dinner was a crap shoot depending on who made it. And possibly what we brought in from the woods be fields. You shot it and it went into something to eat.
    ever had possum stew. They wasted nothing. Ate everything.
    so damn few of these little Turd eaters today would last 10 minutes.
    God bless I miss it. I truly grew up in a great time.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    All the negative aside my time on that piece of land was and still is amazing in what I was exposed to. WhaT I learned. Every Bump bruise and foot up my ass was a life lesson. You worked or you did not eat. Even what play time we took had lessons attached to them.
    up at 4:00 AM. Chores. Lots and lots of them. Breakfast at 6:00-ish. Amazing breakfast. Hoosier style 3 meat eggs taters hand made biscuits. Hand churned butter. Apple butter and strawberry jams made in that kitchen. I have never had better food since.
    now sometimes dinner was a crap shoot depending on who made it. And possibly what we brought in from the woods be fields. You shot it and it went into something to eat.

Yep....much has been lost along this road of "progress".

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    My Michigan heaven. 40 acres of my great grandparents farm. My grandson is the sixth generation to walk there. Deer, bear, turkey, grouse, woodcock. Going tomorrow. Going to practice with my .38-55 at 300 yards, cut some firewood, have a cocktail. We're making the good old days right now.
    Your post reminds me of a John Mellencamp song when you talk about your grandson being sixth gen to walk there. "Rain on the scarecrow, blood on the plow",

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep....much has been lost along this road of "progress".
    Can you even begin to see the reaction of one of our snowflakes going into the barn and greeted by a cow and a pig hanging head down to bleed out.
    the men stoning the knives and taking a sip from the jug before the real work started.
    Does “Pass out” come to mind.
    Then the reaction when the folks down the road took the blood.
    I know they used it I just never asked what.

Last edited:

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Can you even begin to see the reaction of one of our then seeing the people from down the road taking the blood. snowflakes going into the barn and greeted by a cow and a pig hanging head down to bleed out.
    the men stoning the knives and taking a sip from the jug before the real work started.
    Does “Pass out” come to mind.
    Then the reaction when the folks down the road took the blood.
    I know they used it I just never asked what.

Can only imagine.

I would guess they used it for "blood pudding". We have a good friend....1st gen here frome Iceland. She does it on occassion. If you ever get the chance to try it, do.

I was talking to my Mom recently about my grandparents. She commented that they were just "tougher people" than what you come across today. Dead on truth.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My dad used to say,
    "If you don't have what you need, use what you have".
    No imagination today. No sense of improvisation.
    I am blessed to have such an upbringing.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I
    Can only imagine.

I would guess they used it for "blood pudding". We have a good friend....1st gen here frome Iceland. She does it on occassion. If you ever get the chance to try it, do.

I was talking to my Mom recently about my grandparents. She commented that they were just "tougher people" than what you come across today. Dead on truth.
    I figured blood pudding. No real desire to try it. I figure road kill ground hog stew earned me my wings

wingrider1800

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 27, 2014
    Harrison County
    I don't think he would run for office but I'm 100% sure he's a left lever puller.

Lt. Col. Michael DeZe*** US Army Retired. Pencil pusher, not a combat vet. The only service member I have 0 respect for.

The way he treated his own mother and sister I'm sure has confirmed his reservation in the firey pit.
    Sounds like an azz whooping was in order to help him remember his roots.

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    Always remember my Dad one day when I was a kid. I was pissing and moaning about something and he grabbed me, shook me, and said "Arise to the occasion!!".

Great man and model. Lived the way he wanted you to be. Honest, caring, hardworking.

Don

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    My dad used to say,
    "If you don't have what you need, use what you have".
    No imagination today. No sense of improvisation.
    I am blessed to have such an upbringing.
    Reminds me of McGiver, who I feel was the basis for Mythbusters.

Top Bottom