• Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    "These are the good old days..."
    About four years ago, my uncle purchased 50 acres of woods.
    Located in southern Fountain county, the western property line is the old tow-path for the Wabash-Erie canal.
    Fifty acres of prime "bottom land", purchased for the sole purpose of hunting.
    The first thing he did was to add my two brothers and me on the deed!
    If I spent every waking hour for the next five years, I could get a 300 yard range running the short side, or 900 yards running lengthwise!
    This is the first time I have had access to more than about five acres of hunting ground, and the first time I've had my name on a piece of property.
    I have never had it better, in that respect.
    I have one of the greatest uncle's in the whole wide world!

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Located in southern Fountain county, the western property line is the old tow-path for the Wabash-Erie canal.
    If I spent every waking hour for the next five years, I could get a 300 yard range running the short side, or 900 yards running lengthwise!
    This is the first time I have had access to more than about five acres of hunting ground, and the first time I've had my name on a piece of property.

Cousin....It's me!!!!

Michigan Slim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    My Michigan heaven. 40 acres of my great grandparents farm. My grandson is the sixth generation to walk there. Deer, bear, turkey, grouse, woodcock. Going tomorrow. Going to practice with my .38-55 at 300 yards, cut some firewood, have a cocktail. We're making the good old days right now.

Attachments

• IMG_20191027_155803914.jpg
      IMG_20191027_155803914.jpg
      2 MB · Views: 27

Bill2905

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 1, 2021
    Lake County
    I got my first experience shooting handguns and shotguns with my best friend in the private property woods behind his parent's house. I remember having a black and blue shoulder and still ringing ears the next day. Man, those were the days.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I grew up on a farm with nearly a mile of river bottom along the south and east edges of the property and an 18 acre woods on the north end...we hunted just about everything possible on a farm back in those days...deer, squirrel, rabbit, pheasant, grouse, turkey, etc...
    That, and we had a 300 meter range along the south end of the property...and installed a small pistol range out behind the hill that came about when the pond got dug!
    Those were the days...

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Where Kahlo Jeep is in Noblesville use to be an abandoned RR line we use to hunt and target practice at back before the area was developed
    Where the BMV is on South Meridian St. (between Old Meridian and 135), we used to hunt rabbits. That little wedge of land was loaded with 'em.

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    Growing up in Schererville, early’70’s on US 30, on our huge 1.3 acre lot going in the back yard shooting my Remington bolt action 22s, l, lr, my first gun my dad bought me. Dad showing me how to shoot I pointed out a blackbird 60 degrees to our left probably 120’ away, 40’ up in a tree. Dad swung to the left and dropped the bird in an instant. His WWII marksman badge still worked. I was impressed. Later I put a cheap scope on it and dropped a dime freestanding at about 100’. Had that dime a long time but lost it somewhere. Still have the Remington.

Last edited:

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Funny I had nearly the exact opposite experience. About 2 years ago my grandmother passed away. She had 44 acres out in central Morgan county that were what was left of over 100 acres that had been passed down through our family for nearly 200 years. My grandmother had the original land deed dated around the mid1800s just after IN became a state. About 42 were wooded with her house sitting on 2 cleared. My brother and I grew up out there making trails, riding dirt bikes, playing paint ball and when we got old enough built a shooting range. After my grandmother died my uncle who lives in Maryland and has for nearly 30 years and cared nothing for the property his own mother's wishes for that matter as she had stated and even put in her trust that she wanted the land kept in the family, came back hired his own lawyer, forced my mom to sell everything stuck most of the money in his own pocket and left back for Maryland. I have one of the worst uncle's inthe world

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Funny I had nearly the exact opposite experience. About 2 years ago my grandmother passed away. She had 44 acres out in central Morgan county that were what was left of over 100 acres that had been passed down through our family for nearly 200 years. My grandmother had the original land deed dated around the mid1800s just after IN became a state. About 42 were wooded with her house sitting on 2 cleared. My brother and I grew up out there making trails, riding dirt bikes, playing paint ball and when we got old enough built a shooting range. After my grandmother died my uncle who lives in Maryland and has for nearly 30 years and cared nothing for the property his own mother's wishes for that matter as she had stated and even put in her trust that she wanted the land kept in the family, came back hired his own lawyer, forced my mom to sell everything stuck most of the money in his own pocket and left back for Maryland. I have one of the worst uncle's inthe world
    Maryland.
    says enough.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I grew up with the family farm about an hour away. Plenty of woods water and game.
    been with my Dads side several generations.
    my great grandfather was the caretaker at that time. Wonderful memories and experiences.
    great grand dad passed when I was 21.
    The family went straight up ****ing nuts fighting over the farm to the point it was all lost in short order. And the lawyers got most of the money.
    people. What can you do.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Similar results, except it was a lucrative business. One side of the family poor, one side rich. I could understand soap operas so much better. When I visited them, the first day was about who was not talking to whom and why and what not to bring up at family dinner.

Glad I was raised by the poor side.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Similar results, except it was a lucrative business. One side of the family poor, one side rich. I could understand soap operas so much better. When I visited them, the first day was about who was not talking to whom and why and what not to bring up at family dinner.

Glad I was raised by the poor side.

that was close to what I saw with the farm. Not much money in that side and they saw dollar bills. Fought over everything. Stole off the farm. I had to help my uncle retrieve both tractors from other family members one of which decided a trip to the emergency room was worth that tractor.
    idiots. I learned a. Lot through all of that and To this day they are all save a few dead to me.

ancjr

1 Kings 18:17-18 KJV
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2021
    Washington County
    I've seen a situation where the property was intentionally held in probate so that it would be split fewer ways as there were some of the children older and in poor health.

12many

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Jan 29, 2011
    over there
    Looong time ago a buddy and me both bought Ruger 10/22's (like $69.99) at a K-Mart off of west 86th street

took 'em over off the east side of I65N and shot the heck out of them. We both still have those rifles

Lot of big fine homes there now

Top Bottom