Just brought this 70 yr old pistol home.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    My grandpa just gave this to me to keep. It is a Ruger Mark I .22 Target. Serial # puts it in 1954. I think he's owned it since then. I never knew he even had this. I have no idea where the holster he used, came from. It looks altered and VERY old. Any ideas on the holster? Not a particularly valuable pistol $350 or so) but a nice one never-the-less and worth holding onto. It feels very solid in my hand. Certainly a nice addition.

sAtWygi.jpg

3MUfJwW.jpg

8whmJcX.jpg

3MUfJwW.jpg

mdCrFgW.jpg

LzOg1pa.jpg

GLcPTwW.jpg

4C19CcD.jpg

M4IM92G.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    You're right about the holster, I think it's modified GI web belt, but the barrel area looks small for the 1911. Might be for the Colt Army 38.

Last edited:

Born2vette

Norm, Team woodworker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 25, 2020
    Westfield
    Nice. I have the Standard automatic pistol (fixed sights, short barrel) from the same year SN 69xxx

fun shooter, go have fun and memories with it. Putting them back together after cleaning can be frustrating but after you do it a few times its no sweat. Find a you tube video to guide you.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    Nice! I hope it provides good memories and a link to your Grandfather.
    Agreed! This is definitely where your true value is! And what a nifty item to acquire from him! I say, clean it up and shoot it!
    I wanted my grandfather's Steven's single-shot, bolt-action .22lr when he passed away, because I was the only one he would let work on it when it needed something. It was something he and I shared! There are several 'ex-military' people in the family who all 'thought' they knew what they were doing...but yet they didn't really know, and especially with an older .22lr! One of them 'took' the rifle, upon grandpa's passing, and I have a pretty good idea where it is, but the headache of going and getting it isn't worth it...valid reason(s) or not...pain-in-the-ass people to deal with!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Clean the surface rust away where it is forming. Then get a box of CCI mini mags and see what it will do. The mag springs might need a bit of love given to them. It should have the silver bottom ruger mags.

if it will not function with the mini mags it is not the ammo. Been my go to auto testing for 22 break in and testing for years.

I do not think you can shoot them out. My mark 2 government model has at least 15k rounds fired since I bought it new.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    The black icon on the grip is a collector on it's own. It was in memory to Alexander Sturm's death (from hepatitis in 1951 at the age of 28).

If you want to clean it up and cover the spots where it is rusted, I am your guy. I am a soft hearted sap that just wants to help others protect their heritage. If interested, contact me through start conversation. Some people say, 'they just want to keep it as he gave it to me..." but that won't happen. You can either preserve it or watch it get worse. We can take it down piece by piece, clean it, blue it and re-assemble it and make your grandad proud. It is a feeling like no other...

firefighterjohn

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 31, 2010
    That's a beautiful heirloom your grandfather passed on to you! That's one that should never leave the family and keep getting passed down. I know I cherish my grandpa's old .22 revolver that also came with a holster. To have something of his means a lot! Congrats and hope you can get it looking great.

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    Awesome! Neat old gun there, just a great part of family history, and history in general... Clean it up some, and shoot, shoot, shoot! Might get another holster (keep that one though), that one doesn't cover the barrel properly, or so it seems...Neat, neat neat!!!

Top Bottom