• ...and so much more!
  • Biggredchev

Just some guy
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 16, 2017
    Pretty much Michigan.
    I got a questionnaire to be a prospective juror for the United States District Court. What the difference between this and the one I fill out for Noble county every year? The letter is from the Hammond division so if summoned will i have to go to Hammond or anywhere in just Northern IN in general?

Pardon my ignorance, this is the first time ive gotten one not from Noble Co.

Also if i do have to go far away does the gooberment pay for lodging or am I expected to drive up to 2.5hrs each way every day?

Last edited:

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I was called for federal years ago and I had to go to the nearest federal court about 35 miles away. This was back when I lived in Illinois but being federal court should work the same. It was actually a better experience than the local court where I had also served a few times. I would guess being federal it will probably be about drugs or guns so it might be interesting. Jim.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I got a questionnaire to be a prospective juror for the United States District Court. What the difference between this and the one I fill out for Noble county every year? The letter is from the Hammond division so if summoned will i have to go to Hammond or anywhere in just Northern IN in general?

Pardon my ignorance, this is the first time ive gotten one not from Noble Co.

Also if i do have to go far away does the gooberment pay for lodging or am I expected to drive up to 2.5hrs each way every day?
    I get selected and as soon as I tell them I need subtitles or someone to write down everything thats said because I'm legally deaf they drop me. Total discrimination I'm telling you.

However, this could work for about anyone who would not want to serve lol.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    I agree! It's an honor to be chosen to decide a person's legal outcome.

If it's you or me being judged, we'd want you or me being on the jury.
    I have been selected to actually serve on a jury trial only once a local court and while I still lived in Illinois. I agree with bwframe I would want someone from here on my jury. The trial was a non fatal shooting that was bungled by everyone that came in contact with it.
    The local police dept. and the states attorneys office were pretty useless with the defense attorney, not a public defender being the only one that seemed competent. There were too many things to list but the defense attorney made a big deal about shell casings and where they go when fired. She questioned one of the investigating officers who carried a Glock who indicated the cases would fall in a pile to her right. That is true for most Glocks but they said the round fired was a 25 auto and the one I own throws cases in all directions.
    When the jury got the case we talked about the evidence and about the way guns work. Then one lady says "There is no doubt in my mind he shot the other man, but the state did not prove it." We found him not guilty. Jim.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I have lived in the same home for almost 30 years. Been a licensed driver, on the voter role, paid property taxes during that entire time. How is it that I have never even received a mailing about jury duty? I think someone must have blackballed me at some point.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I suggest you brush up on jury nullification just in case.
    Any time I have been called up for Jury Duty, I read up on it. I do not go in thinking I'm going to violate the system. I do go in with an odd balance of wrongs righted and societal constructs upheld. When a person sits in judgement of the law and the acts of a man it is important to pay attention and pick up on what is true and what is false. Sometimes I felt like I was watching a used car salesman or a preacher, but often placed the presenters somewhere in between. It always irked me when a defendant remained silent even though I understood it to be their right. I just wanted to hear everyone's version. There is nothing quite like the role of juror. I have often pondered the ramifications of one person being called the judge when they are to judge the presentations. I have found a preposterous imitation of self agrandisement manifest in the robe wearer in the past. Sometimes it takes a mob of 12 to balance that out. There is precedent for even that.
    1627644830833.gif

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Twice for me.
    I was kind of surprised I got on any. A lawyer friend told me that since I had a beard they would consider me an anarchist and cut me.

First was a capital murder case - drug ripoff gone bad. They started off with 60 potential jurors, and when selection was over there were two left. I was originally slotted as an alternate - never a more thankless job. Be there every day, pay attention, and when deliberations start, you go home. Then some high-powered executive type convinced the judge that his company could not live without him. He was cut loose and I moved up to the jury. Murder weapon was a Cobray 9mm that we got to pass around (carefully). Drug dealer died of hypovolemic shock. Learned what that is on jury duty. Trial took most of a week, and we were sequestered overnight for deliberations. The only thing we had in common was the trail. The only thing we weren't allowed to talk about was the trial.

The judge congratulated us after it was over on our good work and sensible conclusions.

While I was sequestered overnight for sentencing on the capital murder jury, my wife received a letter from the Red Cross that same day. I had given blood a week or so before and the phlebotomist drove the needle through a vein and into the nerve behind. No fun, and it may have given them what they wrote the letter about - a positive result for syphilis. So, while I am incommunicado, my wife gets an official letter that I have syphilis. Timing is everything.

Another letter arrived a few days later saying it was a false positive - too late to defuse the storm I came home to after jury duty. Fortunately that blew over, but the nerve damage lasted for several years.

Second was a civil car accident case, where we had the opportunity to assign percentage of blame. Once the jury was selected (I was on it) there were still a lot of folks left. The judge asked who had work commitments they must attend to. She cut them loose. Then she asked who had family they needed to care for. She cut them loose. Then she asked who just did not want to be there (everyone else raised their hands) She cut them loose.

I had issues with evidence admission on that one. During the trial we saw some photos that helped me decide due to damage that wasn't where it was supposed to be. Problem is, those were not admitted as evidence before deliberations. Never got to see them again.

The last time I was called in fell on a Muslim holiday, and the court closed for the day.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I was on a jury for a federal case a couple years ago. I lived close so it wasn't a deal, but other people had to drive over an hour every day. They got some kind of mileage expense for their drive. So to answer your question, you're expected to drive every day.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Fill out the survey as best you can. I filled out a Federal one many moons ago and haven't heard a peep since.

I was also called in for Marion County eons ago - and ended up being struck during voir dire.

As bwframe kind of alluded to above: Be the type of juror that you'd like to have on your jury should you ever find yourself in one.

Top Bottom