• KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    If one already had a carry license does the new law change anything?
    In a very big picture view, yes (The State of Indiana views handguns as used for lawful purposes, that self-defense is an essential right, and that when you need the government the most they will let you down.) ;)

As far as you as an individual lawfully carrying a handgun in the State? Not so much.

Reactions: KG1

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Guys,

I apologize for being slow-minded. I really want to understand the law, and be totally within the law. And what xwing said above regarding conflicting language is exactly why I'm not understanding.

b3, below (emphasis mine) is what I'm having trouble with.
    • IF a license is NOT required, then WHAT is the PURPOSE of keeping this language? (Please see the text, in RED, below.
    Here's the relevant part, to me:

IC 35-47-2-1Carrying a handgun without being licensed; construction of chapter

Sec. 1. (a) A person who meets the following requirements may carry a handgun in the manner described in subsection (b):

(1) The person is not prohibited from possessing or carrying a handgun under federal law as in effect on January 1, 2022.

(2) Notwithstanding section 1.5 of this chapter, the person is not otherwise prohibited under state law from possessing or carrying a handgun.

(3) The person does not meet the requirements under IC 35-47-2-3 to receive a license to carry a handgun in Indiana.

(b) A person may carry a handgun without being licensed under this chapter to carry a handgun if:

See (a)(3). The licensing requirements have not gone away; rather, the requirement to have a license has gone away. If you meet the requirements to receive a license, then this section does not apply to you. (Note that the wording may now be amended, with HEA1296 in effect. I am confident that the intent has not changed.)

nagantoid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2022
    Newburgh
    I’m not a prohibited person as far as what’s listed. I did of course fill out the ATF form when I purchased.

Since the language in the HB of unloaded/in trunk was not struck out, doesn't it mean that that language will still be applicable? IOW, ConC won’t allow it w/o license. Yet we’re supposed to be able to defend ourselves in an occupied vehicle.
    I'm so "glad" to read this thread, because I fell directly into the same tar pit of confusion that it seems a lot of other people have. "IANAL" disclaimers aside, I really appreciate someone(s) distilling all this into plain language.

(I have a lifetime IN resident LTCH and I actually interpreted the changed law as stating that I would now NO LONGER be able to carry loaded in the car, which seemed ... insane but as has been stated in this thread, tweezing apart all the language and exceptions and "if this but not that" is a task only a lawyer could love).

Top Bottom