Joining HHRP - What would be a good competition for a beginner?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    I usually shoot at atterbury, but am looking to join HHRP and possibly get into competition shooting.

I have taken a couple pistol courses, but was wondering which HHRP event would be the best, in terms of beginner friendly to start off with.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    In 1996 I bought an M1-A and shot my first NRA Highpower Rifle match at HHRP club. A number of members stepped up and helped me through it. I competed in Highpower for 20 more years and it was one of the best experiences of my life. Absolutely outstanding people.

Reactions: Leo

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    I usually shoot at atterbury, but am looking to join HHRP and possibly get into competition shooting.

I have taken a couple pistol courses, but was wondering which HHRP event would be the best, in terms of beginner friendly to start off with.
    HHRP member here. I enjoy steel challenge myself.
    You don't have to shoot fast to have fun. Just be safe. We will help you through the event. We shoot nonstandard stages.
    Not much needed equipment wise. Three mags are helpful but we'll help with reloading if you only have two. No need to draw from holster and don't allow new people to do so.
    HHRP does shoot other disciplines. I think we only have two more contest left in the season. Round count is about 80 but bring more.
    You can contact the club officers as well to find out more about what other contests might interest you.

Reactions: Leo

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    You don't have to shoot fast to have fun. Just be safe. We will help you through the event. We shoot nonstandard stages.
    Not much needed equipment wise. Three mags are helpful but we'll help with reloading if you only have two. No need to draw from holster and don't allow new people to do so.
    HHRP does shoot other disciplines. I think we only have two more contest left in the season. Round count is about 80 but bring more.
    You can contact the club officers as well to find out more about what other contests might interest you.
    Another vote for steel challenge. And you'll meet some really interesting people there. Even a few INGOers.
    I’ve only been to one match at HHRP so far, but they were really welcoming. If you’re a handgunner, I’d also say start with Steel Challenge.
    Thank you all so much!

I will definitely try to make it to the steel challenge there if not the next one, the one after.

Is there any tips? What all do you recommend to bring thats not on the gear list?

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    Do you all have Highpower matches there any more?

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Thank you all so much!

I will definitely try to make it to the steel challenge there if not the next one, the one after.

Is there any tips? What all do you recommend to bring that's not on the gear list?
    My checklist goes like this:
    hat, eyepro, earpro.
    gun, mags, ammo. comp. belt if shooting centerfire. (not needed but a case/bag for storage if not in holster on hip)

bug spray and headband at times for bugs and sweat. water/drink in the car. gloves to handle the steel at setup and takedown.

Tips?
    Look up the standard steel stages and youtube them as to how to shoot them. We don't use them but you will get an idea of how to analyze the stage for best motion. You are looking for fewer direction changes as well as 'traps' that are harder to get back to if you miss a plate.

I would say most new people progress in this way:
    1. Trying to hit all of the targets no matter how many times that they miss. ( a taken miss is +3.0 seconds added to your time. Firing 2-3 times at it takes longer but hey, if you want to hit it, have at it.

2. Missing less and speeding up because you are getting better which at some point causes you to miss more. This is when you here us say "going slower means you are going faster."

3. Finding your groove and how you compare each time with the group you usually shoot with. You get a feel for it after a while and know when you are missing less or going faster or slower than your usual. This is where going to different clubs will give you a better idea of where you stand. If you chase the world class times you may be in for some disappointment. At my age, it ain't gonna happen. I can sometimes get into the mid two second times and that feels blisteringly fast for me. I had it happen this Monday. Sometimes the eye/brain/finger just "sees" it. I find it hard to replicate string after string, stage after stage.

9/27 and 10/11 and 10/25 are the last steel matches for the year. Come on down!

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    Bring at least 50 rounds more than it says you need. It doesn’t cost anything to take it back home.
    Pack the mags and ammo in a different bag than the gun. (Less important at HHRP, but at places like RCC, ACC, & MCFG you can load mags in the clubhouse.)
    Know/mark which end of your case is the muzzle.
    A rag can be handy.
    Load all your mags back up right after your run, then resume helping/watching.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Thank you all so much!

Is there any tips? What all do you recommend to bring thats not on the gear list?
    Stay tuned on the upcoming dates.
    It appears we will be having a change of match director....

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My tip is to watch a match or two before planning to shoot. Bring eye and ear protection, along with gloves for setup/tear down. Arive early to help with setup and plan to leave with the last out the gate.

Everyone at the match will tell you differerent, "You should have brought your gun to shoot."

You'll pick up tons of info watching and talking to shooters, when your brain would otherwise be busy trying to analyze your last stage shooting and getting ready for the next.

:twocents:

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Print out the New Member Application and bring it with you. Be sure to have the match director sign off on it so you have a record of events attended.

Pick any of the competitions that appeal to you. Make sure others know you are new and you will get any and all help you need. They (we...lol) are a great bunch of people.

Concentrate on safety as that is what the 3 event rule is for...to make sure you are a safe and responsible shooter before you become a member.

Expect to have fun. You will.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    As a club officer, all of the above except the guy that said to show up and just watch. We're pretty laid back... take what you see on youtube for a given match and dial it back about 5 notches. LOL

As for HP, kevin hasn't had a chance to set any up. He's looking for someone to take over if you're interested. Actually a couple discipline MDs have voiced an interest in retiring from running matches. I know from experience it gets to be a lot.

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    Stay tuned on the upcoming dates.
    It appears we will be having a change of match director....
    As a club officer, all of the above except the guy that said to show up and just watch. We're pretty laid back... take what you see on youtube for a given match and dial it back about 5 notches. LOL

As for HP, kevin hasn't had a chance to set any up. He's looking for someone to take over if you're interested. Actually a couple discipline MDs have voiced an interest in retiring from running matches. I know from experience it gets to be a lot.
    Would the Intro to USPSA (10/07) be a good match also? Unfortunately I don't think ill be able to make it to one of Monday night steel challenge matches.

Any special equipment for that match? Also, do you happen to know what the round count is.

2-Alpha

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2018
    Indianapolis area
    USPSA uses the same safety rules as SCSA (Steel), but the stages and scoring are more complex. It would still be a good place to start.

For USPSA you’ll need a belt holster and at least 3 mags, whereas steel doesn’t need the holster and can get by with fewer mags. Round count at most matches is 80-150, but might be different at HHRP since it’s an “intro” event.

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    Would the Intro to USPSA (10/07) be a good match also? Unfortunately I don't think ill be able to make it to one of Monday night steel challenge matches.

Any special equipment for that match? Also, do you happen to know what the round count is.
    USPSA uses the same safety rules as SCSA (Steel), but the stages and scoring are more complex. It would still be a good place to start.

For USPSA you’ll need a belt holster and at least 3 mags, whereas steel doesn’t need the holster and can get by with fewer mags. Round count at most matches is 80-150, but might be different at HHRP since it’s an “intro” event.
    Would be a great match. Keep an eye on the calendar of the website, the weather could go either way.

Roughly. looking over the COF, 50 rounds with no misses or malfunctions (I usually say being a box more than the round count), longest stage is 18 rounds so bring mags accordingly. I would agree with 3+ if you have them even if they hold 18.

Bring your gun unloaded and cased. We have a safety table so you can check it and holster. No handling the gun anywhere but the safety table (including in your car). If you plan on shooting your carry gun, flag an RO or club officer when you arrive so we can supervise unloading at the safety table. You can handle ammo (IE load mags) anywhere but the safety table.

Equipment: Decent shoes for light movement (closed toe, closed heel), belt, holster, mag holsters, ammo, gun, ear pro, eye pro. May want to bring rain gear tonight.

jbusyc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2018
    South of Indy
    I just wanted to thank everyone for the help, the match last Thursday was a lot of fun. I plan on going to more matches in the future. If anyone is thinking about participating in a match I definitely recommend it.

Also mailed off my application on Monday

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Dhlawson
    Top Bottom