• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Billythekid

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Jerry cans--Has any one here have any experience with them i need 2 to install on the new bumper for my jeep. i see then from $20.00 to over $100.00 i know they need to have some type of inside lining to keep them from rusting.. please let me know the good or bad experience you have had with what brand and if you know of any deals on then..
    thank you!!!

Last edited:

J Galt

Expert
    Rating - 93.3%
    14   1   0
    Mar 21, 2020
    Indianapolis
    Menards on east 96th had metal ones in stock as of 2 weeks ago. About $50 each before their 11% rebate. I can't comment on the quality. They come with a plastic nozzle that is stored in the can.

Refrigerator27

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 18, 2022
    Noblesville
    Really all those prices differences are are on the nozzle on feeding them into your car. Cheaper ones will most likely not have a nozzle while more expense ones have a nozzle similar to a gas pump. Some of the more expensive ones have locks. Its kind of you get what you pay for with some of these. I use some for offroading however I just use the polymer ones.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Really all those prices differences are are on the nozzle on feeding them into your car. Cheaper ones will most likely not have a nozzle while more expense ones have a nozzle similar to a gas pump.
    There's quite a bit of difference in both materials and build quality. Gaffer's got the low down above.
    A couple of those 'toob reviews will tell you all about the non-steel, uncoated interior, raised seam, spot welded, unvented cans out there.

If you just need 5gal cans, a couple Midwest polymer ones from any local hardware store will work just fine with replacement nozzles & vents. If you want to carry/store/abuse your cans, Wavian (or possibly GLEG or Valpro) cans are the ones you're looking for.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    I have two Nato spec ones from Atlantic British. I think they're just rebranded Waviens for less money and supposedly for "water". Same exact can. They're legit.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I just filled my two cheapie jerry cans today. I bought them from Amazon some years ago. I cuss them every time I fill them. They have a stupid breather tube (like in the vid above,) that won't let you pump gas at regular pressure. You have to go slow and feather the gas pump hose to keep from spilling over or wearing the splashing back fuel. Very anoying and time consuming, especially when someone else is waiting in line behind you.

Other than the filling issue, the cans have been good. I have the military metal nozzles and they clamp on and work fine, but I find that pouring right into the necesary funnel for the vehicles is just as simple. The seam welds on the cans are protected and don't stick out. I store them on their sides on a wood shelf, but the empty cans, waiting for fill sometimes end up living on the concrete floor for a while.

I have four other 5gal metal cans for storage, so I doubt I'll need any more cans. If I had to fill these jerry cans more often than 2-3 times a year, I'd shop for a version that wouldn't be so time consuming and annoying to fill.

These cans do seal well. I've screwed up my rotation and found three year old gas in one of them. It ran through the car just fine.

Last edited:

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte
    After searching a while, I found some Army Surples ones for a very good price. They were made in the 1950’s. Being surplus the paint was not perfect by any means, but I painted them yellow and red for diesel and gas and I wanted original Jerry cans. One thing to look for is the newer ones can have a larger spout which may be beneficial if you manually pour the gas. I have a battery operated pump, so that is not an issue.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    The goto can is the Wavian brand. About $95 each. Just look at YouTube for comparisons, these are very high quality, and I am glad I spent the extra for them.

Ron
    Go for the Wavian brand. Wow, prices have went up as mine were $70 a few years ago. I have held the cheap Harbor Freight ones in my hand and they do not compare, to say nothing of their cap/nozzle.

The Wavian cans are well built and seal tight enough to lay on their side without leaking although I would not do it for an extended period of time. When buying you might grab yourself a couple of extra gaskets although I have not had to replace any yet. The long video by the foreign guy makes you appreciate all the subtle features.

The stock nozzle that comes with these cans is okay for filling a vehicle where you can use the weight of the can inside the fuel tube to open the safety feature. For a generator or small engine tank the stock nozzle sucks because you are trying to hold the weight of 5 gallons of gas and open/defeat the silly safety feature. I think there is a way to gut the stock nozzle. The Valpro nozzle is great, you simply aim and pour like we all did before California screwed things up. Kind of pricey but if you regularly use it you will appreciate it. Otherwise consider getting a good funnel to fill small engines.

With either nozzle these cans will empty fast and fill your vehicle. The plastic cans I have simply suck in comparison in all categories. Sucky California compliant nozzles. No vents, so they leak when expanding in hot weather. Speaking of California I believe the Jerry Cans are "illegal" and they may fine you if caught (could just be an internet rumor). I have spilled more gas with California compliant cans than with real, old fashioned gas cans.

I have gotten mine here and currently listed at $80 although they are frequently out of stock. Amazon works too, just make sure it is Wavian brand.

The photo below is my retirement plan asset that is out performing my 401(k) plan. Let's go Brandon.

GasCans.jpg

Gas_Spout.jpg

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    This peaked my curiosity but not enough for 30+ minutes of video. Any cliff notes?
    Video compares the utter lack of ingenuity of the Allied Forces and the engineering genius of the Germans.

A written narrative here you can quickly read:

A couple highlights…

Handles: distinctive three part handle. Consisting of three large parallel tubular sections, this enabled the can to be gripped in a variety of ways and made it possible to carry two cans in one hand if necessary.

X on side: It also had large, broadly X shaped indentations stamped into the steel – although on first glance this might be assumed to be an aesthetic design flourish, it was actually an ingenious structural feature that allowed the can to accommodate for expansion or contraction caused by fluctuations of temperature.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    "Back in the day" you could get good jerry cans for $50 ish. For what they cost now, I'd look at other options.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    177   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    Anyone have experience with Vevor?

Bugzilla

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2021
    DeMotte

I’ve bought pallet forks for my bucket and an ultrasonic cleaner from VEVOR. No issues with either.

Shadow01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    WCIn

I would ask if they are coated on the inside to prevent corrosion

Top Bottom