Not open for further replies.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Even if we went into higher taxes, all our out of control government would do is spend more on worthless programs. In the 50's it might have worked (along with numerous other factors) due to fiscally responsible spending. We don't have any such thing now.

Oh and F unions. They are a relic of a bygone day. During their startup and heyday, they were necessary evils. They aren't necessary any more, but kept the evil part. Just look at all the heinous crap pushed by teachers unions.
    I generally agree about unions. They had their place as businesses could control the labor markets to create a “take it or leave it” position that workers had no power to overcome.

Today, labor laws prevent a lot of that. I think unions in some industries are still necessary to maintain a balanced market, but the unions need to be neutered.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    From the article, which I doubt anyone here even read...

So how did Bezos get the credit? Investment losses can help reduce taxes by offsetting income or gains. Specifically, Bezos’ wealth is tied to stock which doesn’t affect your tax bracket until shares are sold. Sold shares count towards taxable income for that year.

Yeah. You don't pay taxes on unrealized gains. Pretty basic stuff here. I can have $25 million in stocks in my brokerage account. If I haven't sold them yet, I haven't made any actual income on them yet. Thus, no income tax.

Derp.

Correct....though many of the marxist scum in Congress would like to tax that that value even if it has not been recognized and is still unrealized.

The ******* spend as if there is no tomorrow which for them may be so. Our children and grandchildren, however, are being delivered into economic slavery.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    Hey. I had a gold 1972 Pinto Wagon with the fake woodgrain. Don’t knock it until you’ve driven one.

Who am I kidding. That thing was ****.

I had one.....with a swapped 302, manual trans, and narrowed rear end.

Not all of them were ****.

IMG_0593.JPG

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    so citizenship should cost each man woman child and corporation (corporate personhood) the same amount of money?

that’s about 12k for each. How many people in your household? Can you afford that? Can most?
    Can you provide a logical explanation as to why you believe some people should have to carry part of your responsibility? Aside from just plain old greed and selfishness?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What part of history am I missing here? Correlation vs causation? Did the economic policies of higher taxes,stronger unions and buying American have nothing to do with the reduction of debt and post war prosperity?

if those policies are not the cause then what is?
    The policies you mention have no bearing on the boom.

Again go study instead of making up what sounds good to you.

You do realize that there was virtually no manufacturing capacity in the entire world after the war other than in the US. We had no competition for many years...

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Is he following the law? Yes? Then who cares?
    The letter of the law? Yes. Spirit of the law? Not by a long shot.

the people who wrote the income tax laws hardly meant for the wealthy to use their shares as collateral and turn them into a liability that gets written off (in the form of interest) in order to not pay taxes while buying a 3rd hour or another yacht.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    The letter of the law? Yes. Spirit of the law? Not by a long shot.

the people who wrote the income tax laws hardly meant for the wealthy to use their shares as collateral and turn them into a liability that gets written off (in the form of interest) in order to not pay taxes while buying a 3rd hour or another yacht.

Why not take advantage of this yourself? Or is it easier to just steal from people you think have too much?

rooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    Indianapolis
    The policies you mention have no bearing on the boom.

Again go study instead of making up what sounds good to you.

You do realize that there was virtually no manufacturing capacity in the entire world after the war other than in the US. We had no competition for many years...
    We created our own competition with NAFTA and the buying of cheap Chinese goods starting in the 1980’s.
    Why not take advantage of this yourself? Or is it easier to just steal from people you think have too much?
    Haha I’m not even close to wealthy enough. Even those I know that are pretty wealthy could not get a single digit interest loan (they explored it as a financing method for their new house construction instead of a bridge loan) on their portfolio. Gotta be playing with 100’s of millions to get that kind of treatment.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom