• ...and so much more!
  • KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    I had a Cherokee Sport with factory H.O. 4.0L that was pretty fierce after the CAI, MAF sensor relocation, 'puter burn and Magnaflow exhaust. It got smooshed in a MVA tho...

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    LS? Not familiar. I owned a Comanche pickup in the late 80's- early 90's and was fond of that 4l. Made a capable little truck.

LS is a Chevy V8 engine- very common swap in a lot of vehicles nowadays. It’s pretty easy to swap in, can be bought pretty inexpensive and the HP gained from it is best bang for your buck

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    Don't see any kind of communications in your prep, or CB antenna.

I'm partial to mud tires over A/T tires, the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R did very well both on and off-road on my old Cherokee, even in deep snow.

I'd skip the V8 swap unless you're going to update the axles as well, but then you're getting into parts you can't get at a junkyard. If you have to many parts you can't get at a junkyard or off abandoned vehicles along a bug-out route, your setting yourself up to have a really neat stationary vehicle.

Otherwise looks good, wish I still had one of the 3 cherokees I've owned right now.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    Don't see any kind of communications in your prep, or CB antenna.

I'm partial to mud tires over A/T tires, the Goodyear Wrangler MT/R did very well both on and off-road on my old Cherokee, even in deep snow.

I'd skip the V8 swap unless you're going to update the axles as well, but then you're getting into parts you can't get at a junkyard. If you have to many parts you can't get at a junkyard or off abandoned vehicles along a bug-out route, your setting yourself up to have a really neat stationary vehicle.

Otherwise looks good, wish I still had one of the 3 cherokees I've owned right now.

I have CB, I just dont leave the antenna on- I keep it in the cab. I also bought a Baofeng UV5R I just need to make time to go take the test/classes.

On the tires- I have ran mud terrains, I will not again. Tread life sucks... I have ran 35k this year alone on my Jeep running BFG KO2's and they're still in great shape.

As of axles, my rear is a D44 and front is HP D30, both are trussed, regeared to 4.56 gears and have lockers and chromoly axle shafts. Trust me- it can easily handle a V8 ;)

I mean what is more common than the most mass produced small SUV of all time? lol
    and the V8 I would be swapping in IF I ever did is by far Chevrolet's most used engine platform of all time- the LS.

Parts would be readily available and everywhere...the only issue I would have is finding spare driveshafts since that would be custom. I could carry U-Joints and find them easily
    but the actual shaft itself would not be easy.

yeahbaby

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    Portage
    Years ago we had a Cherokee Sport, the thing was a tank. We are on our 4th Jeep picking up a 2019 Cherokee Latitude last Saturday. The only thing that concerns me is all of the frigging electronics in the newer vehicles. Nice job, looks great!

Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville
    You have a good off-road vehicle, not implying that it isn't capable. I'd take that anywhere.

BUT gears break, axles break, driveshafts break... replacements are not going to be fed-ex'd overnight. Which I had to do with my first jeep when the coolant expansion tank decided to give out driving past Denver going into the Rockies.

SHTF - where are you going to get 4.56 gears, cro-moly axles and driveshafts.

How is that V8 going to do if you have to swap to stock axles and gears? Because SHTF those are the parts you are going to have to swap to if you don't carry spares for every single critical part that can break.

Just saying, the more custom it is, the less SHTF vehicle it is.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    You have a good off-road vehicle, not implying that it isn't capable. I'd take that anywhere.

BUT gears break, axles break, driveshafts break... replacements are not going to be fed-ex'd overnight. Which I had to do with my first jeep when the coolant expansion tank decided to give out driving past Denver going into the Rockies.

SHTF - where are you going to get 4.56 gears, cro-moly axles and driveshafts.

How is that V8 going to do if you have to swap to stock axles and gears? Because SHTF those are the parts you are going to have to swap to if you don't carry spares for every single critical part that can break.

Just saying, the more custom it is, the less SHTF vehicle it is.

Axle shafts can be replaced with standard ones out of any TJ with a D44 rear axle which is very common, same with gears if needed- if gears broke then my Jeep would be in a bad situation, I would probably abandon and hoof it. Unless I am lucky enough to have the time to just swap whole axles off of another XJ or TJ then it is no big deal, Jeep parts are extremely interchangable and I could make due with about any Jeep axles if needed. The only custom things that would pose a risk of not being easily replaced is things like the fridge, solar or electronics that control those things- in which case I could lie without those luxuries anyways if I had to. My Jeep still uses a stock driveshaft so those can be found in literally millions of Jeep XJ's all over the united states. I tried to keep my Jeep pretty stock and just use heavier duty parts so I can replace with OEM stuff if on the trail and I broke something.

And the V8 swap is a big IF because I will probably never do it- plus those axles, gears and driveshaft already in my XJ can take V8 power, driveshaft U joints would be the only weak spot.

jbrooks19

Expert
    Rating - 96.9%
    30   1   1
    Nov 15, 2011
    Kokomo
    U spent more on aftermarket parts than it cost! LOL But it does look so coooool

Yep, sure did.. lol good quality parts are expensive.
    But a rust free low mileage XJ doesn't come cheep anymore.
    The market has went nuts on them lately- no way i'd pay as much as people are asking for them now.

Jin

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   0
    May 20, 2019
    Salamonie
    I miss my 98 XJ Sport, lifted with OME heavy duty lift. It was such a comfortable and capable vehicle. I sold it after the AC started leaking and it would cost $1500 to fix.

To the person asking about an EMP or Flare, there are devices you can buy to attach to your battery to mitigate EMP to the electronics on your vehicle. I believe Sootch or someone was talking about them. They are called EMP Shield. I personally don’t have experience with them

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I have CB, I just dont leave the antenna on- I keep it in the cab. I also bought a Baofeng UV5R I just need to make time to go take the test/classes.

On the tires- I have ran mud terrains, I will not again. Tread life sucks... I have ran 35k this year alone on my Jeep running BFG KO2's and they're still in great shape.

As of axles, my rear is a D44 and front is HP D30, both are trussed, regeared to 4.56 gears and have lockers and chromoly axle shafts. Trust me- it can easily handle a V8 ;)

I mean what is more common than the most mass produced small SUV of all time? lol
    and the V8 I would be swapping in IF I ever did is by far Chevrolet's most used engine platform of all time- the LS.

Parts would be readily available and everywhere...the only issue I would have is finding spare driveshafts since that would be custom. I could carry U-Joints and find them easily
    but the actual shaft itself would not be easy.
    I recently got new tires on my Jeep JK. BFG KM’s Mud Terrain, I switched them at 85,000 miles with some tread still on the rear? Proper maintenance of your tires will give tread life, even in M/T’s . My last Jeep I got 65K on the BFG M/T’s , and would have gotten more if I hadn’t missed a couple of rotations.

Top Bottom