Jasper Indiana - Why is your town so nice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • breakingcontact

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 75%
    3   1   0
    Mar 7, 2018
    Southern Indiana
    I'm not sure if I'm just used to suburban sprawl, depressed factory towns, and ghost rural towns but man is Jasper nice!

What have you all done right there?

Do folks commute to Louisville and Evansville or is it just a great local economy and deep financial roots?

Much impressed.

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    361   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    World headquarters for Kimball Furniture, Jasper Engines, several large furniture manufacturers. In the 1990s the Long John Silvers restaurant had beer on tap.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    It's and "old" town for Indiana... And there's a fair amount of "old indiana $" there.

Jasper IS a nice town. Several college friends of mine from there and the surrounding area. One of their fathers was(is?) a Jasper Engines exec of some kind. Like related-to-the-founder family. Old-for-Indiana-Money.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Being from a neighboring town, I have to hate Jasper, just because of basketball rivalries haha. I do work in one of the oldest factories in Jasper, I am the Production Manager for Jasper Chair founded in 1921 and still in the same building (with many additions)

I have lived in Dubois County my entire life, other than going to USI for 4 years. I have traveled around a lot, and I have to say I wouldn't want to live anywhere else. Other places are fine, but all of Dubois County just seems have people that are just a little more helpful and nicer than normal.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I kinda grew up in Jasper. Yeah, town looks nice, not as nice as it used to, but still decent. The people there, on the other hand, well, there's a reason they're called a bunch of flatheaded dutchmen. The people there are a big part of why I no longer live there. Not so much because of the newer residents, but more because of the "old line" families.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've worked for a number of the local companies, no issues. I like the place and would live there if I liked living in any town, which I don't. That said I have several friends there.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    For me it's German beer on tap. :buddies:Food is OK
    I prefer Snaps for the beer selection, they have a lot of rotating taps. I haven't been there in awhile though I live closer to Fleigs so that is where I usually go for a drink and chicken hearts.

MadMan66

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 7, 2012
    Hogshitt's Paradise
    My mother's side has deep roots in Jasper. I personally love Jasper because of childhood memories. My mother's family owned Jasper Wood Products, and we still own 500+ acres in Dubois County. It is a great hunting spot now. However, with each passing year, I have less family there, so I don't get down there too much anymore.

AtTheMurph

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Coming from the Milwaukee area the first time I went to Jasper I knew what it was about. It's a German town.

They believe in law and order, keeping up your property, saving money, building stuff. Lots of places in the S/E Wisconsin area are similar.

They have money because they make money and they don't spend money.

When I first moved to Indiana both the wife and I were amazed at how Southern it felt. Towns with no curbs, people parking on their lawns, dirty, rundown. It felt more like something you'd see in Alabama than the heart of the Midwest (at least to from our frame of reference).

We still are amazed when we travel through rural WI. The small towns look like Jasper and not like Terre Haute (not to pick on TH).

Common thread is the Germans who settled it IMO. It's cultural.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I never really understood the draw to that place. To me it's just over priced home cooking.
    And not really good home cooking. Maybe I'm just prejudiced though, Grandma was first gen German-American farm girl and I spent a "few" years in Germany.
    My mother's side has deep roots in Jasper. I personally love Jasper because of childhood memories. My mother's family owned Jasper Wood Products, and we still own 500+ acres in Dubois County. It is a great hunting spot now. However, with each passing year, I have less family there, so I don't get down there too much anymore.
    My first real (one that involved paperwork) job was at JWP.

Lot of people in Jasper, well Dubois Co. in general, work one place from the time they graduate HS until they retire. Of my circle of high school friends, there were 3 have worked at one single place their whole career. Another one left just a short time ago due to health reasons but his wife is also still at her first employer.

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    I work with a few people with 40+ years at one job.
    The guy who trained me on my first position started Sept 1966 and turned 17 the next day. Cancer had him down to part time in the end. He passed away several days after his 52 year work anniversary.
    A friend retired last year with 49 years. He was shooting for 50 but the company offered older employees a nice severance package and I advised him to take it and enjoy life.

The chairman of the board passed away several years ago with 64 years.

An older lady I know currently has 59 years at another Jasper business.

Conversely, there are those who have a hard time lasting 1 month.

Me, 17+ years where I am at. Here for the benefits.

Top Bottom