• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    … I'm leaning more towards 20ga, mostly because my older son, wife, daughter can handle it. …

I thought that too, many years ago, before Rob Haught popularized the push-pull technique. It makes the very 12 manageable. (Not to mention that since many 20 ga guns are lighter than their 12 ga counterparts - resulting difference in recoil isn’t as much as many think.)

So, anyway, back in the day, I picked up a youth 20 for just the reason you state. Fast forward to today - it’s a non-issue. Took my teenage daughter to a defensive shotgun class and she was fine shooting a 12 ga all day long. Put a shorter pull stock on a 12 and away you go.

See:

Frankly, I can’t see myself ever buying another 20 ga. YMMV.

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Not a bad bit of advice in any thread. An option that I haven’t seen is the venerable Savage mod 24 a single shotgun over a single rifle bbl. But I don’t know about the availability or cost. They make many combinations. 1936/2006 Welcome Home and best of luck.
    A true model 24 will set you back more than $400 for an example in fair to good condition.
    Excellent condition or odd caliber combos can go for $800+.
    They are making a newer, cheaper version with a plastic stock.
    It's called the model 42, and it's not cheap either.

I have to agree with the Mossberg suggestions.
    I like the tang safety and the guns just work.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    I would suggest researching one of these options. Couple the cantilever rifled barrel with an inexpensive red dot and you have a potent combo for the money.

More options here

Mij

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    A true model 24 will set you back more than $400 for an example in fair to good condition.
    Excellent condition or odd caliber combos can go for $800+.
    They are making a newer, cheaper version with a plastic stock.
    It's called the model 42, and it's not cheap either.

I have to agree with the Mossberg suggestions.
    I like the tang safety and the guns just work.
    Yep, I like the Mossy, just trying to bring out something different. Heck I like the 870’s to. Haven’t even seen a 24 in a few years. But I know they are out there. Then the old Savage, Stevens double, side by side. But then again those are probably getting steep also.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Yep, I like the Mossy, just trying to bring out something different. Heck I like the 870’s to. Haven’t even seen a 24 in a few years. But I know they are out there. Then the old Savage, Stevens double, side by side. But then again those are probably getting steep also.
    The model 24's have had a cult following for years now.
    Not exactly sure why, but you just can't find a cheap one anymore unless the seller doesn't know what they have.
    I have one in .22lr/.410bore. Can't remember the letter designation right off the bat.
    I would love to have a .22wmr/20ga and I think they even made a .243/12ga.
    Alas, they are out of my price range now.

Mij

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    The model 24's have had a cult following for years now.
    Not exactly sure why, but you just can't find a cheap one anymore unless the seller doesn't know what they have.
    I have one in .22lr/.410bore. Can't remember the letter designation right off the bat.
    I would love to have a .22wmr/20ga and I think they even made a .243/12ga.
    Alas, they are out of my price range now.
    I’m thinking 24s maybe

thefinnnwi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2010
    Northwest Indiana/ Japan
    I would suggest researching one of these options. Couple the cantilever rifled barrel with an inexpensive red dot and you have a potent combo for the money.

More options here
    I'll definitely check these out. Looks like a good option, I'll have to see what I can find locally once I get back to NWI in March, if not this might be worth getting shipped to a FFL.

Thanks!
    - Tim

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Hello again,

I appreciate everyone's input. When it comes to versatility of rounds, in the past I handloaded rifle and pistol, and I'm looking at getting into handloading shotgun when I get back to the states. That should open the door to tailored loads, plus a new hobby for me. My hobbies have been fairly limited here in Japan, so I'm looking forward to getting out from behind the keyboard and out of this concrete city and back to the woods/range/infront of the press.

I'm leaning more towards 20ga, mostly because my older son, wife, daughter can handle it. My older son is turning 13 in a few months, but he is very tall and thin (He'll bulk up on an American diet, I'm sure of it! lol). A 12ga at this point would be a little much for him, and I want to ease him into shooting (likewise for my wife and daughter). I can recall hearing about my mothers first experience shooting, and it made her gun shy for the next 20+ years. Too large of a gun for her to handle led to bad first shooting experience.

When I get back stateside, I will check out some of the models that were suggested. Being in the Navy, I'm very familiar with the Mossberg 500. I've looked into the Maverick 88 at length, and it looks like a nice introductory pump for me to get, so I will consider that as well. Looking at the prices on those Mavericks as well, I might be able to get a 12ga and 20ga as well.

Thanks again for the input!

Take care.
    - Tim
    Sounds like a good plan!

bgcatty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Carmel
    Jack of all trades Shotgun?
    Remington 870 and Mosberg 500 in 12 gauge, of course with screw in chokes and possibly a dedicated extra slug barrel. I can’t think of any situations where either of these two shotguns could not work. Peace!

diver dan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    DeMotte
    I had when I was rabbit hunting a remington 1100 in 20 gauge, 3 inch chamber . It was heaven to shoot , good for turkey , pheasant , quail and no recoil .They have deer barrels for it as well . Good luck and welcome back.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Padre Peel
    Top Bottom