• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 223 Gunner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    199   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    Red Sector A
    You thinking private sale? I'd think the gun shops would want to get rid of all the inventory they might not be able to sell in the future.
    I was thinking private sale. And I imagine that shops will run them on gunbroker to get maximum value.
    I do not think you will be able to get a "deal" on one, from a private sale or a shop. At least not for the foreseeable future.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    So, lazy day off. Wife had to work. So a haircut and a visit to 10 gun shops. Holy crap.... Is supply really that low???

Yep... and I feel bad for a lot of shops. Most don't make a lot per gun, and I don't know how they will survive other than not having a lot tied up in rent/overhead.

I think if you found one for $1700 new, you won't get a much better deal than that. I have no idea what a fair used price is, but mine new from K-Var (best price I could find at the time) was $1518 in fde in April 2020.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    So a bit of research and MSRP is $1999. So with that in mind I scored one with the 18" barrel for $2100 + tax. Seeing that a lot are going for $2500+ on gunbroker, I don't think that's terrible considering the climate.

IndyIN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 98.3%
    58   1   0
    Nov 8, 2010
    Texas
    So a bit of research and MSRP is $1999. So with that in mind I scored one with the 18" barrel for $2100 + tax. Seeing that a lot are going for $2500+ on gunbroker, I don't think that's terrible considering the climate.
    I don’t think it is a bad deal for right now. Let us know how you like it.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Should take possession on Tuesday. First negative, and my fault for not researching a bit deeper. The Tavor family is billed as an ambidextrous rifle. Well, that's only partly true. To convert to LH, you need a different bolt. Ok, but IWI won't sell you a bolt. You have to go through a licensed dealer and pay whatever fee they charge to install and check the headspace. Seems like all that engineering, you could just flip the bolt over. So, to do it myself, I'll have to buy a matched bolt and barrel. That's another $460 to do it myself. Probably $200 for a dealer to do it.

Even on the AR platform, you're supposed to headspace check the bolt/barrel. I'd say a large majority of home built ARs never go through this step. I know mine didn't. In fact, once you marry a bolt and barrel, it's ideal that you never change it. They wear together like the chain and sprockets on a motorcycle. So likely I'll end up buying a barrel and bolt kit and keep the RH bolt and barrel as spares. At least that factory matched set will hold some value and if need be I could sell it at 10% under MSRP.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Well, the RDB (and RFB) are both ambi, and it is easy to switch the charging handle. I have all 3, and though I like the X95 (better controls and mag release, more quality workmanship), the RDB is cheaper (both cost and workmanship) and is actually really ambi without all the extra expense. Outfit it with the Lucky Irishman fore end and you get most of an X95 (but no onboard night sights)

jek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 7, 2019
    I'll throw out there that the MDR is good too. You can swap from left to right ejection or go with forward eject which you can shoot either, but still easily switchable.
    MDR can also be down to 1-1.15 MOA gun with some quick handloads we did. Which isn't bad for a piston gun.
    I hope to get an x95 one day and compare.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I'm always down for range time to compare. When I got my Valor, a friend of mine and I went and did a side by side of it and his Les Baer. Same ammo, same day/conditions, two different guns and two different shooters. Maybe 4-5 of us should rent out Bare Arm's range for a few hours and have a bull-pup day this spring.

Top Bottom