• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    I'm an old school leather guy on holsters.
    My pref is IWB, but have the virtual 2 drawers full of previously used rigs. 3:00 on strong side, slight angle forwards gets the job done. I prefer the heavy duty clip on vs the 2 strap models. Have both, can live with both.
    Added a couple of kydex/clip ons to the drawer. They are surprising cooler than leather, molded fit to the gun, and easy on and off. Again the clip holds fine on my 1.5 in leather belt, no issues.
    My EDC is a G19, also have a Bersa 380 Thunder.
    Bigger guns go on OWB, pancake style, less thumbreaks strap. Wet moulded to the firearm, they are usually covered with a tee shirt. More $ too!
    Good luck on your choice. I shop used rigs before spending $ to order and wait.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Ripping my boy John Correia? Oh my stars.

:faint:
    I have no idea who he is but he made a really bad impression on me. Is he actually a respected trainer? If I showed up at a class and he wants to trim my holster he's got another thing coming.
    "Floppy. Floppy, floppy floppy. See, its got the floppies." Either he's high or I'm not high enough.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Not you. Some folks believe AG is "top notch" in another thread. I figure they'll be summoned here now.

So, what other holsters have you tried? If you like the concept of the hybrid and haven't tried an MTAC, maybe try that. Proper belt selection matters, and your pants need to fit.

What exactly is uncomfortable? Is the barrel digging into your leg vs the entire gun pressing into your side, etc?

What gun?

I've comfortably carried many a duty sized gun IWB, so it's completely doable.

I've got one of the Daltech Force Super Bios based on the forum's rec.

These are the first holsters I've tried so maybe that's my issue.

The main discomfort is when I'm sitting in the car. I usually carry an XD-M 4.5" in winter and an XD-E in warmer months. The other annoyance may have something to do with pants size, I've lost a bit of weight and they're a little baggier than they have been. I thought that might be a good thing but I feel like I'm pulling my pants up every five minutes because of the weight of the holster.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

The main discomfort is when I'm sitting in the car. I usually carry an XD-M 4.5" in winter and an XD-E in warmer months. The other annoyance may have something to do with pants size, I've lost a bit of weight and they're a little baggier than they have been. I thought that might be a good thing but I feel like I'm pulling my pants up every five minutes because of the weight of the holster.

Is the discomfort the pants are sagging or are you having actual pain/hot spots on your skin? Is the holster making contact with your skin any where without intervening cloth like an undershirt?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    The main point of annoyance is the sense that my pants are falling down, I've done both with and without an undershirt and the Kydex didn't bother me.
    Belt, I would say.
    I didn't even wear a belt before I started carrying, so I know everybody's bodies are different. Keep experimenting, I'd say start with belt. There is such a difference between a good stiff belt and a regular belt.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have no idea who he is but he made a really bad impression on me. Is he actually a respected trainer? If I showed up at a class and he wants to trim my holster he's got another thing coming.
    "Floppy. Floppy, floppy floppy. See, its got the floppies." Either he's high or I'm not high enough.
    He's know for breaking down self-defense incidents caught on video all around the globe on his channel Active Self Protection. I generally like his analysis in that area. He does do training too, but that's a newer thing for him I think. Some of his stuff is good, other stuff not asuch.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Belt, I would say.
    I didn't even wear a belt before I started carrying, so I know everybody's bodies are different. Keep experimenting, I'd say start with belt. There is such a difference between a good stiff belt and a regular belt.

I'm using a Daltech Force ... I can tighten it enough that's it not as big a problem, but it's super-uncomfortable.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018

If you have a time/place to experiment a little, try carrying somewhere forward of where you are now, maybe 3:00 or even up to 2:30. See if your hips or shape in general help hold the gun up there and not force a sag down issue. If I'm used to a certain place, a half inch makes a difference, so I'm not saying just start carrying there, this is just for analysis, it can take quite a bit of time to move a gun around IMO. You can find a pocket where it fits your body best hopefully.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    It's the holster, Alien Gear is straight up SERPA level garbage. That being said I have to get somewhat creative with CCW since I am a whopping 5'8 and 150# I never liked 100% kydex holsters as to be honest they get uncomfortable against my hips after a while. Appendix is out for comfort reasons (sorry I do not like my muzzle poking my Johnson :abused: ) and since I am younger and in good shape enjoy wearing clothes that fit well to keep the wife lusting after me.

I have found over the 8 years I have been carrying a GOOD leather holster and belt (you are dropping at least $100 on the holster sorry) at around 3:30 with an undershirt is just perfection for me.

IBmwFlD.jpg

IVqGSzb.jpg

That's a Staccato P wearing a Leupold DDP , which is my EDC at this point. Holster is by TT Gun Leather , Milt Sparks is my other usual recommendation.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Not you. Some folks believe AG is "top notch" in another thread. I figure they'll be summoned here now.

So, what other holsters have you tried? If you like the concept of the hybrid and haven't tried an MTAC, maybe try that. Proper belt selection matters, and your pants need to fit.

What exactly is uncomfortable? Is the barrel digging into your leg vs the entire gun pressing into your side, etc?

What gun?

I've comfortably carried many a duty sized gun IWB, so it's completely doable.
    Moved from Crossbreed to Comp-tac after a brief Alien try...

MTAC is my IWB. I prefer my Safarilsnd 6378 ALS overall.

However try all the holes...it could be an adjustment issue not a holster issue

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm using a Daltech Force ... I can tighten it enough that's it not as big a problem, but it's super-uncomfortable.

Somewhat counterintuitively, a belt that's not as stiff may help. I also found Daltech to have to be tighter than other options to prevent sagging. One of the reasons I really like my curved belts is they are looser for the same amount of support.

https://www.mastermindtactics.com/shop belts are inexpensive and nail the "just stiff enough" (giggity) for me. I can carry a GP100MC with no issues, and that's a pretty heavy gun. The D-rings or slip-through buckles also provide infinite adjustability, so you don't have to worry about making it to the next hole.

If the holster still doesn't work, try an MTAC. The leather backing may resist movement a bit more. Also, maybe adjust the clips so the gun rides lower, less weight above the belt line acting like a lever.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I use a daltech super bio belt and have for years.

Also carry a hybrid holster, but it's either a Galco Kingtuk (I have the older models with metal clips) or Crossbreed mini tuk or super tuk depending on which gun I'm carrying, which these days is either a 365 or a 320 x-compact. Been using these holsters and belt combo for years.

Usually in the 5 sometimes 5:30 position.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I'll respectfully submit that JM Custom Kydex should be added to the above.

My list was most definitely not exhaustive! JM Custom Kydex also makes good kit. Lots of folks do.
    What is the general opinion of tier 1 holsters? I like my g-code but kind of wish I had bought one with the extra mag holder.

I'm personally not a fan of sidecar / married holsters for a few reasons, but their other holsters look like they'd be good kit.

IndyTom

Expert
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Oct 3, 2013
    Fishers
    4:30-5:00 with a Hank’s belt and a N8tactical professional (model) holster with the twist retention.

I prefer the full backing so I don’t sandpaper my skin with my gun’s grip texture and it doesn’t impede my draw.

Top Bottom