• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    I don't know if "best" is subjective based on body type, etc., but what is everyone's preferred location? I don't find my holsters (AlienGear IWB) super-comfortable, so I tend not to wear them as often as I probably should to get used to them. One of the more comfortable locations I tend to use is just a bit forward of my right rear pants pocket, but it's not great for long term carry.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I have moved almost exclusively to OWB holsters save for one I use when carrying a compact sized pistol (Taurus G2C). That one is a kydex holster with a single belt clip that I wear at 4:00. I only carry this pistol about 25% of the time.

IMG_20210824_091421__01.jpg

I mostly carry a VP9 in a kydex OWB holster that I wear on the front of my strong side hip (2:00). It gives me quick access to the gun, similar to appendix carry, but doesn't point directly at my junk the way AIWB does. I also like pants with big gaps between belt loops so I have the option to slide the holster more towards my center line when standing or out towards my hip when seated.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have moved to aiwb (currently using a g-code stealth) which I find more comfortable, easier to draw from, and easier to conceal. I also have the AG shapeshift and I do like it but some of the configurations (like the aiwb) are not as good as other companies. I also wish it had a claw. They make a big difference in concealability.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    One other point is that the gun makes a huge difference. I can carry my shield 9 all day long with but could never find a way to carry a full size or even a compact comfortably.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Longer pistols / holsters actually work better for AIWB / center line carry than shorter pistols / holsters.

A G26 in a holster for a G17 will carry better than the G26 in a G26 holster, for instance. This is due to how shorter holsters will want to pivot/rotate on the belt when you bend over and stuff.

Also - you need a good gun belt; but not a super duper holy crap this is stiff gunbelt. A slightly less super duper stiff gun belt will work better for AIWB / Center line carry.

And a quality holster will work way better than almost anything you'll be able to buy at a gun store. Especially when it comes to Alien Gear.

Hate to break it to those so invested, but Alien Gear isn't quality. Hardly ANY hybrid holsters are.

If you want a GOOD AIWB holster: Keeper's Concealment, Tenicore, Phlster, Dark Star Gear, Henry Holsters, HolsterCo, Raven Concealment Systems, Red1USA are all great places to start.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    About 4:30 for me, and I use a left hand holster so that the butt of the gun is facing out rather than toward my spine. Feels more natural for me to grab it this way with the back of my right hand facing my body

1629823301420.png

Instead of this way with my palm facing my body

1629823318444.png

But that being said, I never carry a large pistol this way. Only a J-Frame. I ganked the picture from the Alien website and photoshopped it to show the different orientation.

JTScribe

Chicago Typewriter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    About 4:30 for me, and I use a left hand holster so that the butt of the gun is facing out rather than toward my spine. Feels more natural for me to grab it this way with the back of my right hand facing my body

View attachment 154847

Instead of this way with my palm facing my body

View attachment 154848

But that being said, I never carry a large pistol this way. Only a J-Frame. I ganked the picture from the Alien website and photoshopped it to show the different orientation.

OK, so bottom picture is about where I usually go.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am not personally attached to the brand, so it's all good here.

Not you. Some folks believe AG is "top notch" in another thread. I figure they'll be summoned here now.

So, what other holsters have you tried? If you like the concept of the hybrid and haven't tried an MTAC, maybe try that. Proper belt selection matters, and your pants need to fit.

What exactly is uncomfortable? Is the barrel digging into your leg vs the entire gun pressing into your side, etc?

What gun?

I've comfortably carried many a duty sized gun IWB, so it's completely doable.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    my 2 cents, I started out at 430 and have gradually come around, carried quite a while right at 3:00 which nobody thinks is right but I liked it. Currently carrying appendix now which I really like as long as I'm not sitting a lot.
    It is completely objective, experiment and don't be afraid to try things that others say aren't right.

What is "not great for long term carry" mean? That should be kind of the go-to spot. When you say this it makes me think "belt". I do not get along with leather belts, rip the holes out. I have had a 511 double layer for probably 6 years now and it's somewhat broken in, it's awesome. I also have a Blackhawk riggers belt that is the bomb.

I've built all my own IWB hybrid holsters and a couple of appendix. A little difference in leather thickness or softness can change the experience completely, as can the cant and the angle the kydex is molded and attached to the leather, keeping the butt in towards the body. Similarly, a claw on an appendix holster changes the game, especially on a full size.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    Longer pistols / holsters actually work better for AIWB / center line carry than shorter pistols / holsters.

A G26 in a holster for a G17 will carry better than the G26 in a G26 holster, for instance. This is due to how shorter holsters will want to pivot/rotate on the belt when you bend over and stuff.

Also - you need a good gun belt; but not a super duper holy crap this is stiff gunbelt. A slightly less super duper stiff gun belt will work better for AIWB / Center line carry.

And a quality holster will work way better than almost anything you'll be able to buy at a gun store. Especially when it comes to Alien Gear.

Hate to break it to those so invested, but Alien Gear isn't quality. Hardly ANY hybrid holsters are.

If you want a GOOD AIWB holster: Keeper's Concealment, Tenicore, Phlster, Dark Star Gear, Henry Holsters, HolsterCo, Raven Concealment Systems, Red1USA are all great places to start.

Ok I barely made it through the top video, I strongly disagree with this guys logic on a few specific topics. I just want to offer a different outlook so if someone is here they can at least have another perspective than this.

1. Why does the floppiness matter? It's up against your body and stiffened! This is absolutely ridiculous how he goes on about "floppiness". Almost childish. It makes no sense at all. That plane has to adapt to your body. Up/down floppiness, ok bad, but that takes a very soft piece of leather to achieve up/down or sag. Ask me how I know, but it's still not the end of the world.

2. Retention. Strap up, big fella. It'll be hard to pull out. How can your belt possibly be loose enough to not provide retention if it is holding up your gun? That being said, I do mold kydex to hang up on the front of the trigger guard, and sometimes end up loosening it back up because it's so hard to draw. Combined with a lining similar to Safariland's, its quiet, secure, and protected.

3. Muzzling your muffin top. The trigger discipline needs to be sufficient to avoid discharge whether or not you have to push the top leather flap in. The gun cannot go off. I bet if we looked at ourselves on a high speed camera we would see quite a few incidences of us muzzling ourselves, no matter how we carry. For all of us that appendix carry this is pretty much a bygone conclusion, we are going to point a gun at ourselves. Concentrate on muzzle discipline but also trigger discipline.

4. Clips. I use those exact clips he showed in the video and have gotten along great, have never had one bend out. They have also never pulled out off the belt. I guess YMMV.

All that being said, if there is a holster maker out there that does not have the trigger guard completely covered, they should be shot in their muffin top. Similarly, the leather should be trimmed to allow full combat grip to draw. I've seen some "high end" makers want to charge extra for a "sweat guard" (muffin top guard) and apparently many aren't trimming correctly. For the markup these cats are making on these it should be right.
    Like I said, just more of my 2 cents, and a different perspective on this guy, but nothing to do with the brand like some expected!

Top Bottom