• ...and so much more!
  • Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As prices go down, so go trade prices.

Supply chain is still a gigantic cluster and will be for some time...
    Which is the good thing about owning a fully depreciated vehicle, I just want to buy so the trade in thing does not affect me personally. Not sure which works out better for consumers, the high prices low inventory we went through, or lower prices but lower trade value? Since the trades usually are less in value wouldn't the consumer save more if the larger purchase was lower?

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Some of us can't afford the depreciation on a new car. Carefully-researched used is our only option, and we tend to drive them until they die. Fairly happy we got our 2016s in late 2020, but I can see parts will be a problem. Took the repair place 6 months to get body parts for our van.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    We bought the wife a new car this month. First new car since 2006. We traded in her used Rio we bought for $5k in 2020, and got $4200 trade in with 40k more miles than when we bought it. Out the door for $21k for a brand new Seltos. We will have this one until it’s dead like the new 2006 we still have.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Some of us can't afford the depreciation on a new car. Carefully-researched used is our only option, and we tend to drive them until they die. Fairly happy we got our 2016s in late 2020, but I can see parts will be a problem. Took the repair place 6 months to get body parts for our van.

I buy mine, when they are all used up by others.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Back in the 1980's and 1990's I got rid of five vehicles over about 10 or 12 years. None of them were drivable and had to be towed from my house. I get all I can from what I drive, right now that is a 2004 F-150 with 220,000 miles but still runs good. Hopefully it will last till I am dead. Jim.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I hardly ever go to Walmart. Maybe once a year for some odd thing? Check for specific crappie soft bait, something inordinately priced online or the like?

I did a trade at the Martinsville Walmart (parking lot) with another INGOer. Thank you sir! :ingo: While I was there, thought I'd save a needed trip to grocery. Turned out to be a bad idea. The prices were absolutely terrible. Worse yet, without telling the long story, the store was a total mess at checkout. So much so, that after 15 minutes in line, behind one person, I ended up walking out and leaving the shopping on the checkout belt. Dozens of blue shirts running around and nobody could help the single cashier make her register work. :n00b:

My experience with prices and empty shelves was similar to this lady from down south...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    My last 3 vehicles were all new. For only one reason; 0% factory financing. It was literally cheaper for us to buy new than used. factoring in repair costs (brakes, tires, etc) we found it was cheaper to go new. The last number I could recall was it was going to be $20/mo more for the used car we were looking at all things considered. Plus no factory warranty! And we didnt have to worry about major repairs for the first 3 years (or so)
    YMMV. (especially now in this economy)

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    My last 3 vehicles were all new. For only one reason; 0% factory financing. It was literally cheaper for us to buy new than used. factoring in repair costs (brakes, tires, etc) we found it was cheaper to go new. The last number I could recall was it was going to be $20/mo more for the used car we were looking at all things considered. Plus no factory warranty! And we didnt have to worry about major repairs for the first 3 years (or so)
    YMMV. (especially now in this economy)
    Our last two used cars had factory warranties on them still as certified used. And cost close to half of new.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Our last two used cars had factory warranties on them still as certified used. And cost close to half of new.
    It depends on what you buy and the market. Pre covid I was buying a new pickup for 10-15k off msrp every two years. Not bad when I'm buying a 55k truck for 40-45k and trading it after 2 years and 60k miles for not much less than I paid!

Now with the covid impact and bat sh*t crazy MSRPs, I did buy a 3yr old Limited for 35k off MSRP vs another new one at 10k off the 80k MSRP.... but this truck is going to sit and not get 30,000+ miles a year...

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    we typically bought 2-3 year old for half price. Since 2020 that's gone. When we bought her seltos, the used cars were selling for MORE than he new one we purchased. Wifes been pushing that I buy myself a new daily to last another 10 years and decided I like/want one of hte last manual trans cars made. 2023 Forte GT manuals are selling new for $1-2k less than 2021 and 2022 cars. Thats insane.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield

Not just Google

A trend that will more than likely get worse this year:

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%