• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Job security ain't really, when you "clock in" wearing only underwear.

It's hard to get a feel for the direction, goals and health of the company when you only see and hear what they want you to.

I wish remote workers only the best, but the reality is that a lot of remote jobs will be consolidated. The longer you work remote, the longer there is nothing to tie you to your employer other than your number.

It is not to the employer's advantage to tell the remote employee anything other than completely positive things until it's time to tell them that they need to seek other employment.

The truth of the matter is that it's not personal, it's just business. It's very easy to be all business, when there is no personal interaction. :twocents:
    This is a legitimate counterpoint. Call center and tech jobs were sent overseas. Some of these WFH jobs may end up getting outsourced as well. I hope they aren’t, but corporate greed is a powerful thing. People need to be careful about thinking they’re irreplaceable.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    I'm with Route on this. Everyone makes choices in their career path. It's not being entitled to have a career that allows you to work at home. If you didn't make a choice that allows that, then you better either make a career choice or accept that you will be going wherever you need to go to make a living.

And it is PJs, not sweats.
    Why do you dress up so much? :dunno:

• Haha
    Reactions: KLB

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    This is a legitimate counterpoint. Call center and tech jobs were sent overseas. Some of these WFH jobs may end up getting outsourced as well. I hope they aren’t, but corporate greed is a powerful thing. People need to be careful about thinking they’re irreplaceable.

Having worked with imported bodies and "overseas" bodies, the quality of those replacements is less than half of the savings accrued.
    When you put another layer in the middle, there's always some loss of energy. We don't live in a world with 100% conversion rates.

Reactions: KLB

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Having worked with imported bodies and "overseas" bodies, the quality of those replacements is less than half of the savings accrued.
    When you put another layer in the middle, there's always some loss of energy. We don't live in a world with 100% conversion rates.
    I've had similar experiences at numerous places over the years.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Job security ain't really, when you "clock in" wearing only underwear.

It's hard to get a feel for the direction, goals and health of the company when you only see and hear what they want you to.

I wish remote workers only the best, but the reality is that a lot of remote jobs will be consolidated. The longer you work remote, the longer there is nothing to tie you to your employer other than your number.

It is not to the employer's advantage to tell the remote employee anything other than completely positive things until it's time to tell them that they need to seek other employment.

The truth of the matter is that it's not personal, it's just business. It's very easy to be all business, when there is no personal interaction. :twocents:
    Again, why do you guys think that remote work has anything to do with your job being outsourced? Corporations have been outsourcing jobs for a long time, the ability to work from home for the job has no bearing on it. Generally they are less skilled, lower paying, easily replaceable, or less desirable positions. Think accounts payable & receivable, help desk, off hour support, call centers etc.

Companies are not going to try to layoff people and hire individual professionals half way around the world to work skilled positions. Language and time barriers are huge. What will happen, and already has started, is companies may be willing to replace people with people in other geographic areas. Our department now has four people working full time from places other than the Chicagoland area. Two were hired from remote locations, one moved to CO and was able to keep her job, and a new DBA was hired that lived in Phoenix.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Again, why do you guys think that remote work has anything to do with your job being outsourced? Corporations have been outsourcing jobs for a long time, the ability to work from home for the job has no bearing on it. Generally they are less skilled, lower paying, easily replaceable, or less desirable positions. Think accounts payable & receivable, help desk, off hour support, call centers etc.

Companies are not going to try to layoff people and hire individual professionals half way around the world to work skilled positions. Language and time barriers are huge. What will happen, and already has started, is companies may be willing to replace people with people in other geographic areas. Our department now has four people working full time from places other than the Chicagoland area. Two were hired from remote locations, one moved to CO and was able to keep her job, and a new DBA was hired that lived in Phoenix.

And that will be true for some. Why do you quys think it not possible that SOME companies may just figure out that they could cut more after seeing how it works during lockdowns? It is not an all or nothing that you and FMJ are making it out to be...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    And that will be true for some. Why do you quys think it not possible that SOME companies may just figure out that they could cut more after seeing how it works during lockdowns? It is not an all or nothing that you and FMJ are making it out to be...
    Some? Sure. That is not the doomsday message that has been shared here.

Overall I think more companies are going to take the cost savings of less needed office space. My company pays around $8 million a year for our eight floors of space.

Victory106

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 28, 2021
    Fort Wayne
    McDonald’s is paying $15-$16 an hour. They have handed out money for the past 18 months like Monopoly money. The debt ceiling issue is undecided. China is facing some issues. Is anyone surprised that inflation is becoming a problem?
    McDonald’s is paying $15-$16 an hour. They have handed out money for the past 18 months like Monopoly money. The debt ceiling issue is undecided. China is facing some issues. Is anyone surprised that inflation is becoming a problem?
    All of the McDonald's around me have the inside dining closed, only the drive thru is open. Seems ridiculous but I see other places following in their footsteps.

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    I'm with Route on this. Everyone makes choices in their career path. It's not being entitled to have a career that allows you to work at home. If you didn't make a choice that allows that, then you better either make a career choice or accept that you will be going wherever you need to go to make a living.

And it is PJs, not sweats.

You must be new here. This is INGO. No PJs or sweats necessary!

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    All of the McDonald's around me have the inside dining closed, only the drive thru is open. Seems ridiculous but I see other places following in their footsteps.
    Steak and shake also...for now. Enter the three person fast food joint...

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

I don’t think it definitely will happen, but it wouldn’t be surprising. If someone can do the job from home in Indiana, someone can do the job from India for a lot less. Not every job will translate, but it’s not crazy to think some will try. I know of one company that outsourced their tech guys to India. They have a guy at their local office who is their boss.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I don’t think it definitely will happen, but it wouldn’t be surprising. If someone can do the job from home in Indiana, someone can do the job from India for a lot less. Not every job will translate, but it’s not crazy to think some will try. I know of one company that outsourced their tech guys to India. They have a guy at their local office who is their boss.

It doesn't necessarily mean foreign outsourced. It could be stateside or even local.

Many remote workers are simply contract workers. A lot of the less apparent to employee costs can be eliminated by employers contracting for a set price vs paying on staff employees.

Health insurance, income tax withholding, retirement, etc are just a small handful of the many things employers pay to have employees vs a simple dollar agreement for a contract worker.

The accounting costs themselves are quite high, let alone the actual costs, which are a moving target in today's liberal govt leadership. Remember that "the rich" employers need to "pay their fair share." :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    they outsource jobs that you have to go in for, also.

How many factories have moved?
    Yep. They are even working on self-driving semi trucks. And robot tech is getting downright unsettling.

Eventually, we will all be worthless. So I don't worry about such things.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville

That ship came and went already.
    If WFH is possible, they will now be considering outsourcing it, and it doesn't matter if it ends today or years from now.
    It's too late for that consideration to matter now.

The point that will be the most risky is when WFH ends and they discover it costs more to maintain a building and office environment. That's when the calls might be made from higher ups to outsource.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...That's when the calls might be made from higher ups to outsource.

"Higher ups" might not have a choice in the matter. Shareholders, BOD's, and simply staying competitive pricewise in the marketplace may simply not allow any choice but to outsource.

Top Bottom