• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Just because the free federal money ran out, doesn't mean the states have quit paying people not to work. Especially the woke, high mandate, states.
    I see plenty of "help wanted" signs and short staffing here in Indiana. Are we a woke, high mandate state?

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    This is totally anecdotal, but I was on a jobseeker subreddit for much of this year and among those people there was a pervasive attitude of not accepting anything but full remote work. Lots of complaining about job listings not showing remote, or including a statement about the expectation to return to office work. Seemed like a lot of entitled shut-ins just didn't want to get dressed and go to work.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Seemed like a lot of entitled shut-ins just didn't want to get dressed and go to work.
    Damn straight. I have no desire to get up early, wolf down breakfast, put on uncomfortable clothes, drive to work, sit at a computer all day, eat lunch under a stopwatch, then drive home and have 3 hours until bedtime so I can get up early and do it all again tomorrow.

****. That.

I am more efficient working from home and don't need some micromanaging busybody looking over my shoulder to get my work done. Any company that still thinks that they need to see butts in seats for office type work, just because old-fashioned morons can't adapt to advancing technology, is going to be buried by companies who realize the cost savings and improved employee morale that is inherent with remote work and flexible schedules.

I work from home full time. It would literally take at least $20k more a year in pay before I would even consider leaving the house for the same type of work. Maybe more. Not sure how to put a price on the low stress level and flexible schedule that I enjoy now, and that's before even considering the monetary savings on vehicle expenses and other incidentals required to work outside the home.

Funny to hear employers whining about "entitled" people when it flips to a seller's market for labor. Oh, the horror.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Damn straight. I have no desire to get up early, wolf down breakfast, put on uncomfortable clothes, drive to work, sit at a computer all day, eat lunch under a stopwatch, then drive home and have 3 hours until bedtime so I can get up early and do it all again tomorrow.

****. That.

I am more efficient working from home and don't need some micromanaging busybody looking over my shoulder to get my work done. Any company that still thinks that they need to see butts in seats for office type work, just because old-fashioned morons can't adapt to advancing technology, is going to be buried by companies who realize the cost savings and improved employee morale that is inherent with remote work and flexible schedules.

I work from home full time. It would literally take at least $20k more a year in pay before I would even consider leaving the house for the same type of work. Maybe more. Not sure how to put a price on the low stress level and flexible schedule that I enjoy now, and that's before even considering the monetary savings on vehicle expenses and other incidentals required to work outside the home.

Funny to hear employers whining about "entitled" people when it flips to a seller's market for labor. Oh, the horror.
    No, you don't sound entitled at all...

The fact remains that there are jobs in the economy that aren't talking on the phone, typing emails, and snoozing through Zoom meetings. People need to do them and not every single person in the world is entitled to chill in front of a computer in their sweatpants all day.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy

The fact remains that there are jobs in the economy that aren't talking on the phone, typing emails, and snoozing through Zoom meetings. People need to do them and not every single person in the world is entitled to chill in front of a computer in their sweatpants all day.
    We all make our choices with what we want to do for a living, don't we? Chose wisely, or you may be whining about how good someone else has it and calling them entitled.

Sounds a lot like people who whine about "privilege" to me. AOC would be proud.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    If it's happening everywhere, including one of the reddest states in the union, then the "especially" distinction is incorrect and irrelevant.
    If Millwrights lose an average of 3 fingers per accident,
    And Electricians lose an average of 1 finger per accident,

those two vary by degree.
    Just like unemployment.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I'm with Route on this. Everyone makes choices in their career path. It's not being entitled to have a career that allows you to work at home. If you didn't make a choice that allows that, then you better either make a career choice or accept that you will be going wherever you need to go to make a living.

And it is PJs, not sweats.

tim87tr

Freedom lover
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Eastern IL
    This is totally anecdotal, but I was on a jobseeker subreddit for much of this year and among those people there was a pervasive attitude of not accepting anything but full remote work. Lots of complaining about job listings not showing remote, or including a statement about the expectation to return to office work. Seemed like a lot of entitled shut-ins just didn't want to get dressed and go to work.
    I'd spoke to the top people at my former employer and related that there will be a large amount of personnel problems moving forward as a result of these fake shutdown games. I think they agreed but didn't want to discuss :dunno: :whistle:.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

A fair amount of folks that the lockdown/mandates pushed into working from home drastically overestimate their actual worth to their employers. Similarly, longer time remote workers are having their work scrutinized and evaluated in these troubling business times.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    A fair amount of folks that the lockdown/mandates pushed into working from home drastically overestimate their actual worth to their employers.
    What is not having to lease or purchase office space or pay for equipment and utilities worth to a company?

As far as worth, that's a matter between employer and employee. Relevant information is not likely to come from the peanut gallery.

Similarly, longer time remote workers are having their work scrutinized and evaluated in these troubling business times.
    If a business didn't scrutinze and evaluate their employees' work before remote work became a thing, I think I found a clue as to why their business may be troubled.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    A fair amount of folks that the lockdown/mandates pushed into working from home drastically overestimate their actual worth to their employers. Similarly, longer time remote workers are having their work scrutinized and evaluated in these troubling business times.
    Scrutinized? My company's HQ has been WFH for 19 months now. That is around 1000 people. The company hasn't been scrutinizing anyone. Instead they have had better productivity.

Their only issue is that they signed a 15 year extension on their office space downtown Chicago a couple of years ago. That leaves them with a lot of expensive space.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

****. That.

I’d love to work from home. No driving, or dealing with people, or bad weather...

Reactions: KLB

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    What is not having to lease or purchase office space or pay for equipment and utilities worth to a company?

As far as worth, that's a matter between employer and employee. Relevant information is not likely to come from the peanut gallery.

If a business didn't scrutinze and evaluate their employees' work before remote work became a thing, I think I found a clue as to why their business may be troubled.

LMAO!!! You sure are sensitive on this topic.

Hmmmm???

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    LMAO!!! You sure are sensitive on this topic.

Hmmmm???

Job security ain't really, when you "clock in" wearing only underwear.

It's hard to get a feel for the direction, goals and health of the company when you only see and hear what they want you to.

I wish remote workers only the best, but the reality is that a lot of remote jobs will be consolidated. The longer you work remote, the longer there is nothing to tie you to your employer other than your number.

It is not to the employer's advantage to tell the remote employee anything other than completely positive things until it's time to tell them that they need to seek other employment.

The truth of the matter is that it's not personal, it's just business. It's very easy to be all business, when there is no personal interaction. :twocents:

Last edited:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tmixon
    Top Bottom