It's ridiculous that I should have to pay to watch a 50 or 80 year old movie...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    With as many streaming services as I subscribe to, you'd think I'd be able to watch most anything I want that's older, which is mostly what I watch. I don't want to pirate stuff, I just want more bang for my buck with these pay to watch services.

Yes, I know, first world problems. :)

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    SE Indy
    I have noticed something similar. I also prefer older movies and TV shows. It used to be when I searched almost anything I was interested in was free. Now anything I'm interested it is Pay to view. I mean the original Death wish. Dirty Harry American Graffiti. Should be free.

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I have noticed something similar. I also prefer older movies and TV shows. It used to be when I searched almost anything I was interested in was free. Now anything I'm interested it is Pay to view. I mean the original Death wish. Dirty Harry American Graffiti. Should be free.
    American graffiti and death wish are free on Roku.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    I watched entire series of older shows, from Adam-12 to The shield, and movies from all genres that I remember from when I was younger. Movies from the 40's and much later that I really enjoyed, even though some of them were low budget cheesy flicks.

Island in the Sky with John Wayne. 4 bucks, even with Amazon Prime.

Damnation Alley. IMDB says it's free on Tubi, but it doesn't show up there. 4 bucks on Amazon Prime.

Firefox. 3 bucks on Amazon Prime.

MFers. I pay for your access, then I have to pay per movie?

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Might check out film rise classic tv . It is a streaming channel Film rise has many different channels
    I have a lot of free services. like I said, I watch older stuff mostly. I have watched a lot of low budget independent stuff, some more modern stuff, mostly scifi, that is low budget but done very well. It's really amazing what they can do with talented but unknown actors, And stuff like sets that make sense with displays that mean something, instead of having randomly flashing lights.

But I still see no reason for paying for a service, and then having to pay 4 bucks to watch an 80 year old movie.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    With as many streaming services as I subscribe to, you'd think I'd be able to watch most anything I want that's older, which is mostly what I watch. I don't want to pirate stuff, I just want more bang for my buck with these pay to watch services.

Actually, I have read that the rights to old movies and shows are often more convoluted than modern ones. Then there is the demand side, “one expert argued Netflix probably doesn't see a large enough audience to justify the cost of acquiring old films”.

Then there is the competition to even get old films, they all are looking for cheap content that appeals to subscribers. I have read that Amazon Prime has quite a few older movies.

Ingomike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I’m including me in this group, how the heck did they make us all so cheap? We used to pay $2-$6 a movie at the video store, often $20 a weekend in the winter. Used to buy LP’s, tapes, and CD’s, spending $10 a pop and think nothing of it, but tell a friend you pay $15 a month for Spotify and look at the horror face. “I only listen to free music.”

The services I subscribe to no cost way less than what I spent in the 90’s. :lmfao:

I like the previous suggestion that you buy the DVD’s, probably the best deal…

target64

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    West Side
    I have a lot of free services. like I said, I watch older stuff mostly. I have watched a lot of low budget independent stuff, some more modern stuff, mostly scifi, that is low budget but done very well. It's really amazing what they can do with talented but unknown actors, And stuff like sets that make sense with displays that mean something, instead of having randomly flashing lights.

But I still see no reason for paying for a service, and then having to pay 4 bucks to watch an 80 year old movie.
    Film rise is free,

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I find all those old movies on eBay for a couple bucks. It’s still only around $8 delivered usually. Not as cheap as a $3 streaming rental, but I can watch again for free.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Speaking of old shows, I turned the channel a few minutes ago and landed on "The Gene Autry Show".
    Never been a big fan but I knew who he was.
    I didn't realize just how cheesy his t.v. shows were.
    Horrible acting

Top Bottom